“Over night stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mountaineer Casino Racetrack & Resort

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Mountaineer Casino Racetrack & Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Chester
Avon, Ohio
“Over night stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

Went down to mountaineer for a boxing event. And ended up staying the night. Did not spend a lot of time in room. Was clean, nice beds! Casino was nice found table with $5 starts. Some of the carpet in hallways in Hotel could be replaced.

Room Tip: Stay in tower of hotel newer, they have a old section in back. Looked a little dated. But the pool l...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
James S, Director of Hotel Operations at Mountaineer Casino Racetrack & Resort, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Thanks for the positive review. We are happy that you had a good time. I also wanted to inform you that we are planning to begin hotel renovations later this year, including the hallway carpet. We hope to see you back soon. Thanks again for taking the time to post.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Uniontown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

We go every year for a few days. Spa was closed due to water break,ohh well, gym closed also,was unable to shower and flush toilets but had the pleasure of just having the time with my good friend of 30 years. We will be back! We know the non smokey paths around the casino! But perhaps ventilation needs updated

• Stayed July 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Though the water main break was something beyond our control, I certainly apologize for the experience. I am happy to hear that you still had a good time in the casino and that you will return. Hopefully, the next visit ill be even better.
pittsburgh, pa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

After reading the latest reviews, I was hesitant going here for a much needed overnight mini vacation. Although we were booked in the lodge, it was wonderful. Just a 1 hour trip to WVA, it was a great trip. The room was dated but very clean. The staff at the hotel & casino were awesome. Everyone was friendly & welcoming. We did not run into 1 staff member that was rude, as a matter of fact, everyone was sweet & helpful. A sweet hello was given by everyone. Good luck & have a great day was the norm.

The food was great & reasonable. We had a great time. Of course, we lost our money. But when one travels on this type of trip. You go in for the fun, not expecting to win. We played though & that's all we asked. I believe that that the past reviews were harsh & we enjoyed ourselves. We stopped at the Fiesta plant on the way out & a farmers market, Janoski's on the way home. All in all, a 24 hour trip was enjoyable.

In the past, I have made use of the spa & found that too, pleasant & clean. The hotel does leave a discount coupon in the room to make the services reasonable. Go & have fun!

Room Tip: In the summer, book the lodge near the pool. In inclimate weather, book the tower.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank 6380
James S, Director of Hotel Operations at Mountaineer Casino Racetrack & Resort, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for the review! We appreciate the feedback and are happy that you had a good time. I also wanted to let you know that we are planning to start our hotel room renovations later this year.

Thanks again for the positive review. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

My mom and I just went to mountaineer for a quick over night trip this week. We enjoyed the outdoor pool in the morning, it was a very nice amenity to the hotel. Later we went up to our hotel room to get cleaned up. Our non smoking room smelled horrible of smoke because the people in the rooms beside us were smoking. It was a nice room though. Especially with it being complimentary. After we showered we went down to Gatsbys and ate some dinner quick. We aren't too crazy about buffets but I think next time we will choose that or the steak house. The waitress had too many tables to give good service and was very short and unfriendly. After dinner we went to the casino. The attendant at the door made a huge production checking my ID (I'm 30) and acted as he was on a power trip, he even made me wear a bracelet. He was rude...like I said, I'm 30, I'm not wearing your wristband. After dealing with that jerk we went and gambled. I thoroughly enjoyed the slots. It was smokey but it's West Virginia, I expected it. We had a great night, stayed up late had a late night snack, didn't get back to our room until after 3. The casino was not clean but the attendants were doing the best the can. It's clear that the casino won't hire enough staff to keep things clean enough. The bathrooms weren't unacceptable but certainly were nothing to be proud of. The next morning we went back down to gamble and the computers were down so we were unable to access our free play. That was certainly an inconvenience. The ladies at the desk were saying they were down for 20 minutes. Later a slot host shrugged his shoulders and said they had been down since 4am. Nobody apologized, nobody was accommodating and they didn't even have the proper information. This was very unprofessional. We made the trip because we were given this incentive. Mountaineer was unable to hold up their end of the deal. Frustrated, we decided to leave. As we were leaving the valet watched my mom and I struggle to get our bags in the trunk yet he stood there waiting for his tip. My over all revaluation is that the staff at mountaineer does not welcome you and treat you as a guest. The workers are just doing the bare minimum to get their jobs done and nothing more. It would be nice to see the staff smile, be helpful and have better manners. I don't need to be treated like a queen but some nice treatment goes a long way and that is truly something that can make or break the over all experience. We will be back but it's sad for your casino to see these minor things go unnoticed by managers. Your staff is only as good as they are taught.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank MasonMichael112
James S, Director of Hotel Operations at Mountaineer Casino Racetrack & Resort, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Kelly,
I appreciate your posting and for the feedback. I am happy that you had a good time overall. I also wanted to let you know that I have forwarded your comments to the department heads of the areas you mentioned as well as our human resources director. We will use your comments and suggestions to improve the overall experience for our guests at Mountaineer.

I assure you that we will make every effort to improve the areas that you mentioned. Thank you again for posting.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

My wife and I spent a Thursday night in a tower room. The room was very nice and larger than the normal hotel room. The room had a refrigerator and safe and was very clean. My wife and I were impressed. I agree with some of the other comments that although we were on a non smoking floor, the smoke still filtered into the room. We ordered room service for breakfast and it was good and reasonably priced. My only complaint is that the water pressure in the shower is weak, but overall we really enjoyed it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David G
James S, Director of Hotel Operations at Mountaineer Casino Racetrack & Resort, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
David,

Thanks for taking the time to post a review. We really appreciate the feedback. I will forward your comments regarding the water pressure to our facilities director so he can make sure everything is working as it should. I was also pleased to hear that you enjoyed the room. We are planning to start our hotel room renovations later this year to make them even nicer and more comfortable than they are now.

Thanks again for the feedback!
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed overnight with my hubby as we just needed a night away from our busy schedule. Our non smoking room had great ventilation and so was our hallway. In the room we stayed at was decent. No complains there. We ordered room service for breakfast and ordered steak and eggs. Got a call from a lady saying that since we paid cash for our room that night our credit card on file was deleted. When food arrived it was cold and the steak was overdone. I hate to complain so I didn't and ate it. I strongly suggest that the Spa brochure have prices on it. I understand that it's a hotel and casino and people come in to spend money but because of the economy people are also watching how much they spend. Overall: I really enjoyed just getting away. As a previous restaurant owner I understand how hectic a kitchen could be. I recommend staying here even if you don't gamble.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Maria,
Thank you for taking the time to post. We certainly appreciate the feedback. It is true that many of our guests prefer to leave a cash deposit in lieu of leaving a credit card so we normally remove the card that was given at the time of booking to avoid any charges inadvertently being posted to it.

Our spa brochure also includes a rate card insert. It was evidently missing from the brochure that you were given. I certainly apologize for that.

Thank you again for the post.
Medina, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We just got back from a quick overnight stay at Mountaineer. We went with 2 other couples to celebrate a birthday. The hotel is very nice but it is so smokey, the lobby is almost a haze of smoke coming from the casino. We had a non smoking room on a non smoking floor, however, the floor above and below are smoking floors. Also, the casino is smoking, so you can't avoid it. The rooms are lovely, very spacious and clean But the smoke filters up. The room just had a mild stale smoke smell, that seemed to get stronger through out the night. The amenities in the room are nice; small fridge with a coffee bar area. The resort has a lovely spa, great indoor pool and of course, the casino. The room we had overlooked the race track, so in the morning you can watch the ponies practicing. I would give this hotel more stars if it wasn't for the smoke. A big plus is that the hotel is attached to the casino. If West Virginia ever goes non smoking, like Ohio, we would be here much more frequently! The restaurants are very nice too! The steak house is fantastic and the Gatsby Restaurant is good for breakfast.

Room Tip: If smoke bothers you, get on a non smoking floor away from the elevators. (the smoke filters up thro...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gbutlerfan2
James S, Dir. of Hotel Operations at Mountaineer Casino Racetrack & Resort, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
I appreciate the review and the kind words about the hotel and our amenities. Although we are a smoking facility, we are in the process of updating our HVAC and smoke elimination systems to try to make the gaming floor more non-smoker friendly. We also have plans for to begin our hotel room renovations later this year. We will be adding approximately 170 new slot machines this year as well as continuing the gaming floor remodel including bathrooms and our center bar.

Thanks again for the review. We hope to see you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chester
Holiday Inn Express Newell
Comfort Inn
#3 of 4 in Weirton
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Beaver Falls
Fairfield Inn & Suites Weirton

Been to Mountaineer Casino Racetrack & Resort? Share your experiences!