“Overnight Stay”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Chester
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Overnight Stay”
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed overnight with my hubby as we just needed a night away from our busy schedule. Our non smoking room had great ventilation and so was our hallway. In the room we stayed at was decent. No complains there. We ordered room service for breakfast and ordered steak and eggs. Got a call from a lady saying that since we paid cash for our room that night our credit card on file was deleted. When food arrived it was cold and the steak was overdone. I hate to complain so I didn't and ate it. I strongly suggest that the Spa brochure have prices on it. I understand that it's a hotel and casino and people come in to spend money but because of the economy people are also watching how much they spend. Overall: I really enjoyed just getting away. As a previous restaurant owner I understand how hectic a kitchen could be. I recommend staying here even if you don't gamble.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
James S, Director of Hotel Operations at Mountaineer Casino Racetrack & Resort, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Maria,
Thank you for taking the time to post. We certainly appreciate the feedback. It is true that many of our guests prefer to leave a cash deposit in lieu of leaving a credit card so we normally remove the card that was given at the time of booking to avoid any charges inadvertently being posted to it.

Our spa brochure also includes a rate card insert. It was evidently missing from the brochure that you were given. I certainly apologize for that.

Thank you again for the post.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Medina, Ohio
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We just got back from a quick overnight stay at Mountaineer. We went with 2 other couples to celebrate a birthday. The hotel is very nice but it is so smokey, the lobby is almost a haze of smoke coming from the casino. We had a non smoking room on a non smoking floor, however, the floor above and below are smoking floors. Also, the casino is smoking, so you can't avoid it. The rooms are lovely, very spacious and clean But the smoke filters up. The room just had a mild stale smoke smell, that seemed to get stronger through out the night. The amenities in the room are nice; small fridge with a coffee bar area. The resort has a lovely spa, great indoor pool and of course, the casino. The room we had overlooked the race track, so in the morning you can watch the ponies practicing. I would give this hotel more stars if it wasn't for the smoke. A big plus is that the hotel is attached to the casino. If West Virginia ever goes non smoking, like Ohio, we would be here much more frequently! The restaurants are very nice too! The steak house is fantastic and the Gatsby Restaurant is good for breakfast.

Room Tip: If smoke bothers you, get on a non smoking floor away from the elevators. (the smoke filters up thro...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gbutlerfan2
James S, Dir. of Hotel Operations at Mountaineer Casino Racetrack & Resort, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
I appreciate the review and the kind words about the hotel and our amenities. Although we are a smoking facility, we are in the process of updating our HVAC and smoke elimination systems to try to make the gaming floor more non-smoker friendly. We also have plans for to begin our hotel room renovations later this year. We will be adding approximately 170 new slot machines this year as well as continuing the gaming floor remodel including bathrooms and our center bar.

Thanks again for the review. We hope to see you again soon.
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed March 15, 2013

When 80% of American adults are non- smokers you would think an adult entertainment business would give more thought to thabt segment of the population. Mountaineer's ventilation is terrible and their non-smoking section is tiny with no table games. With Ohio casinos now open and non-smoking by law, I will be breathing easy in Ohio until Mountaineer sees the light through its smoke filled room.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ben H
James S, Director of Hotel Operations at Mountaineer Casino Racetrack & Resort, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for the feedback. We recently upgraded our ventialtion system and added smoke eaters to the entire casino. Hopefully, you notice a difference the next time you visit.
ohio
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed at the Mountaineer resort in the newer section for a girls night away. The room was a nice size and clean and the bed was comfortable. I got up in the middle of the night to close the draperies and they smelled very smoky. We got a good deal on the price of the room going mid week. Other than the smoky smell, I had no complaints.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank ohiotrav23
James S, Director of Hotel Operations at Mountaineer Casino Racetrack & Resort, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Happy to hear that you had a good time. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Hermitage, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Myself and three friends ventured to Mountaineer for a night of gambling and drinking. Our room was clean and spacious, but nothing extravagant. The staff was friendly and helpful. The casino was so-so. The video poker has horrible pay tables! Seriously, I have never seem worse! A lot of the slots seemed outdated, but there were a few of the new ones. They do offer $5 blackjack, so that is a definite plus. We enjoyed the bar because of friendly bartenders, but it is a typical casino bar- overpriced. We didn't eat anywhere except for Big Al's, and it provided good late night pizza. We enjoyed our trip, but we probably would have enjoyed any casino/hotel with lots of drinking. Would I return? Probably if the price was right or I get a comped night. I enjoy video poker so I prefer a casino that offers better games.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Brent M
Thank you for the feedback. We are contantly updating our slot machine offerings and will continue to do so this year. Also, look for hotel renovations at the end of this year.
Pittsburgh
Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Mountaineer to attend a funeral. I am originally from the area and actually worked here while the Grande Hotel was being built. This was the first time I stayed as a guest. The room looked great. It was a decent size for myself, husband and children. Of course Mountaineer is not a place for children, but we got a great deal on the room and needed to be in the area. Every worker we came into contact with smiled at us and said hello. I even had a housekeeping guy hold the elevator for me. We did not spend any time in the casino as we just spent the night. Our children really enjoyed the pool. They have a kiddie pool along with an adult one! It was perfect. Our only complaint was the smokey smell even in our non-smoking room. It is nothing that Mountaineer is doing wrong. It is just that smoking is permitted in the casino area so there's not a lot that can be done to prevent it from permeating into non-smoking areas. If that doesn't bother you, then you should have a nice visit. We would stay again in the event we have another unfortunate situation that brought us here in the first place. I was pleasantly surprised with our room and stay.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank SuperBun
Thank you for your kind words regarding the hotel. We are happy that your children enjoyed the pool and look forward to seeing you again.
Hudson, Ohio
Reviewed February 4, 2013

My daughter, grandson, and I went down for my birthday. I had a free room, thank you, Mountaineer for the Junior Suite upgrade! I rented a scooter, as I am handicapped. We were on the sixth floor and the room was beautiful. It even had some foam pillows that were comfortable and two tv's. Very spacious. My grandson loved the kiddie pool. I loved the slot machines! The bathroom was huge also and I noticed in the suite rooms there is a FAN in the bathroom. Not too many hotels have this feature anymore! I live close to Cleveland but will ALWAYS go to Mountaineer. They treat everyone so nice. And they are so helpful if you need anything. Will not hesitate to go again!! I also feel safe going to Mountaineer as opposed to Cleveland. I do have one complaint, the beds are too soft and if you are a larger person, be careful as you almost fall out of bed when getting up. And please turn of the fans in the casino. We are non smokers but our favorite machines are in the smoking section. The smell was killing me!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Drene
James S, Director of Hotel Operartions at Mountaineer Casino Racetrack & Resort, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review. Just wanted you to know that we recently upgraded our ventialtion system and added smoke eaters throughout the casino. We also replaced the mattresses in many of the hotel rooms and plan to begin room renovations later this year. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chester
Holiday Inn Express Newell
#1 of 4 in Weirton
Best Western Plus The Inn at Franciscan Square
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Steubenville
Comfort Suites Monaca

Been to Mountaineer Casino Racetrack & Resort? Share your experiences!