“It was okay.........”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Chester
Wichita, Kansas
“It was okay.........”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed on a Sunday night because we were offered a free room, so I cant complain to much. The air conditioner in our room did not work right. Maintenance was called, but they still didnt fix it right (they were very nice and polite though). The only other problem is a worker by the name of Patty (in the food section where you can buy nachos and slices of pizza) was very-very rude to us. She should not work with the public. Everyone else was very friendly.

Overall, I would probably go back again (hopefully have a room with air conditioning that works). If you plan on gambling, play the quarter slots by the high limit area. Also, make sure you get a players card!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ohlers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Hudson, Ohio
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I have stayed here numerous times and this time did not disappoint. Had a free room, free concert tickets and free game play. Needless to say, I played for almost three hours without putting any money in the machine. That was nice. Won two free buffets. My daughter won two free ice creams but they close so early. The buffet was pretty good. They now rent scooters, and I am handicapped so I love this! I can now see everything easily! I love Mountaineer! I live in Cleveland and have no desire to see the casino in Cleveland when I get so many perks from Mountaineer! The only bad thing I can say is the beds are so soft that if I get to close to the edge I fall off the bed!

Room Tip: Hotel side rooms are bigger and nicer, but the lodge first floor rooms have a door from the inside a...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Drene
Philly
Reviewed August 4, 2012

I have traveled around the world and have probably been to over 100 racetracks. I am currently away on business and drove one hour to attend the West Virginia Derby - a BIG mistake. This facility needs to be plowed into the Ohio River. The grandstand does not have a single area that is not permeating with smoke - there is not a single NON-smoking area. There are indoor areas with NO air conditioning (it was 90 and humid). There is not a blade of grass near the grandstand to watch the races. This is seriously an embarrassment of an establishment. I spent 30 minutes, got back in my car, and drove back to my hotel. I can tell you without a doubt, I have never left a racetrack before seeing a single race - guess there's a first time for everything.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Howard S
Dayton, OH
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We went with another couple and stayed in the Tower at Mountaineer casino. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. The only items noticed in the hotel room were 1. the coffee maker did not work well and 2. the toilet was shorter than most. The room had a small refrigerator which was nice. We were fortunate enough to get coupons to stay at the hotel for a cheaper rate than normal.

We love the self-serve soda and coffee. The casino was clean although not much as changed with regard to the bathrooms noted in an earlier review--light urine smell and some on the floor near the urinals. The place was busy, especially in the afternoon and evening.

This was the second time recently that we noticed that the valet service in the "front" of the casino (away from the hotel) was closed. We don't use the valet but, noted it for others who may visit. We also noticed that they have removed a row of handicapped parking near the hotel entrance for a bus lane. This was frustrating since we were travelling with a handicapped person and had difficulty finding parking for him during the multi-day stay. We ended up dropping him off and then going to park his car. All in all, we had an enjoyable time.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the tower; these are newer rooms. Also, wewere on the top floor which limited traf...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank eagleeye64
OHIO
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We arrived Saturday July 7 2012 around 2 p.m. and we were told to come back at 4 p.m. because the rooms were not made up. We checked back at 4. We opened the door to our room and the air conditioning smelled like mold. The furniture was thick enough with dust that you could write your name in it. The wall paper was coming off the walls in places and the kleenex box was empty and we paid $95 for this and we had to wait 2 hours for this? The Lodge needs comdemned.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank WATERCRAFT
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I booked a night's stay here with my husband. Our first experience was trying to find the resort, it is in the middle of industrial alley and once we found it we had a hard time finding a place to park. As soon as you walk into the building there is strong smell of smoke. Our room was non-smoking and it still reeked of smoke. The room was clean, roomy and the decor was nice. Onsite, there are several restaurants, bars, spa, gift shop, pools, entertainment, golfing, fitness building, racetrack and the casino. There are no attractions outside the resort. The racetrack needs updated and the staff seemed unhappy. The highlight of our stay was the restaurant, La Bonne Vie Steakhouse. Decorated in Speakeasy decor, waiter was very attentive, menu is expensive ($30+) and ala carte, but worth it if it is a special occasion. If you don't mind the smoke and plan on gambling, this place is for you.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank scorpiontravelbug
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Booked a room and was on the first floor across from the pool. It was a mom-smoking room but I guess because of the close proximity to the gaming area the room was REALLY smoky, and it smelled like stale smoke, so I knew people weren't smoking in the rooms around us. The room was very clean. The bathroom for some reason took a really long time to get hot water and the shower had basically zero water pressure, which I found odd for a first floor room. The slots are showing their age, and they are very tight on winners. We had dinner at the buffet, but the food was horrible and looked old and even a server told us no one eats in there because of the cost vs quality. I should of spoke with him before paying :) Breakfast at the Gatsby was good as always, no complaints. It was hard to find a casino floor waitress to get drinks. I used to come here quite often but this casino is really starting to show it's age.

Room Tip: If you really want a non-smoking room, do not stay on the first floor. Noise was never an issue, bu...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank libbygab
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chester
Holiday Inn Express Newell
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#3 of 4 in Weirton
Best Western Plus The Inn at Franciscan Square

Been to Mountaineer Casino Racetrack & Resort? Share your experiences!