“Getaway Weekend”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Chester
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Getaway Weekend”
Reviewed March 14, 2012

I have been to the Mountaineer on several trips and my overall experience has been excellent. This trip I did enjoy the hotel entertainment, and dining at the Gatsby. This trip the buffet was good not excellent like in the past visits. I was suppose to have a non-smoking room, however, the room had a heavy smoke order. This property is a Casino also, so, I would like to suggest that they expand their non-smoking space for their non-smoking slot and gaming players as the property in the main casino is so smokey that after about 15 minutes your eyes are burning and your clothes are smoke filled.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jussy2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
NORTH RIDGEVILLE
Reviewed February 29, 2012

Spent a few days here in February with the hubby!
Have to say, I read the reveiws here and was a little hesitant to go.
But we had a free hotel offer and some free slot play, so we decided to give it a try!
We had a great experience, there has definately been some huge improvements since we last visited almost a year ago.
The hotel; we stayed in a non smoking room and found it to be clean, well kept, no odors or anything negative people had previously stated on this reveiw site.
The food: most of our meals were at The Gatsby - definite improvements here! The food was good, reasonably priced, service was great, we got our food right away, and they added some great new items to their menu.
The casino - sorry, I have to say this to all the people who lose big money, we had a blast! We loved all the new macines, altough some were hard to get on. I won over $2,000.00 in our three day stay. Yes, part of it is luck, but another BIG PART IS DISCIPLINE!!! I don't know how many times I've bene at a casino and see people winning big time, then they get greedy, continue to play and end up losing at least half, if not all of their winnings!
BIG TIP: Learn how to cash out when you're up! You can always go to another macine! Some parts of the casino were smoky, but hey, it's a casino! If people really hate smoke that much they should go to a non smoking casino. Mountaineer did make a rather large room up front all non smoking, deifnitely more machines in their than the previous non smoking room.

Room Tip: Ask for Non smoking!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank getawaygirl1978
Reviewed February 28, 2012

Stayed overnight on 2.26.2012. Room was a greener so can't complain. And the room was very clean and quiet. The couch in the room looked like it has seen better days but overall the room was good. The heated pool was nice but the air temp in the pool area was too cold.
Stay away from the buffet it is horrible. Theyyu may have remodeled it but it is the same dried out tasteless food that has been there in years gone by. Luckily I took a survey and it was free so I couldn't complain. The great Gatsby was ok for breakfast but they were out pf sausage by 8Am how?? Waiting for my bank statement to finalize but feel they added tips without my authorization at both places. I signed for charges of 15.89 & 32.72 and left a cash tip. But the pending charges at the bank show 20.66 &36.04. Waiting for it to finalize. So watch your bank statement.
The slots were as tight as ever . They better wise up especially with Ohio getting slots soon. I will stay with playing at the rivers and meadows from now on. Unless the freebies are hard to pass on....

• Stayed February 2012
Spokane
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Hotel was average, clean enough, but the entire complex is very smokey and filled with an older crowd.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Hudson, Ohio
Reviewed February 15, 2012

Stayed here last Sunday for my son's birthday. We checked in at 5pm, one hour later than check in time. They had just finished cleaning our room, they were cleaning the room next door. The floor was not even vacuumed, the bathroom floor was not cleaned, the tub was dirty, there was a dirty washcloth on the shower, and the sink stopper was broken. The door leading outside was duct taped shut! The mattresses were so old and soft that if I got too close to the edge I fell out of bed. Not good, I am handicapped. No bottom sheets, only top sheets tucked in partly, because they were too small to tuck in all the way. I can say the food is always good here. Ate at the Gatsby dining room and the meal was very good and room service for breakfast the next morning never disappoints. I had a voucher for a free room, otherwise I would have complained!!

Room Tip: Lodge side is closer to casino. In summer some lodge side room have doors leading outside by pool...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Drene
Willard, Ohio
Reviewed January 30, 2012

The rooms in the newer part are very nice. The old part (Called the lodge) is very dated, worn.
Service was good. The sports bar had excellent food and great prices! The other main restaurant was just so so, although we only ate breakfast there. The friends we were with said the oatmeal was excellent. Service was terrible as we had a rude waitress.
Casino was on the smaller size and machines very tight. It is also very very smoky. Non smoking gambling room is very small. Pool looked nice although we didn't use it. Nothing else like entertainment in bars so gambling is it for this place. Nothing near it either. Ok to see and go there once, but think I would pass if asked to go again.

Room Tip: Do not get in what they call the lodge. It is a old hotel. Just say you want in the new part!!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sunlover5
Reviewed December 3, 2011

The hotel room itself could use better attention to detail- or maybe a better vacuum n dusting. Service was outstanding. When we couldn't figure out the ice machine they brought Ice to our room. The dealers and workers in the casino were very welcoming and patient for us new comers! Overall nice trip- even though we weren't big winners! :)

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Cas221
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chester
Holiday Inn Express Newell
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Beaver Falls
Hampton Inn Steubenville Oh
Hampton Inn Steubenville Oh
#3 of 4 in Steubenville

Been to Mountaineer Casino Racetrack & Resort? Share your experiences!