“Taste Sensation and well-deserved winner of Taste of Charleston!”

Black Sheep Burrito & Brews @ The Brewery
Ranked #2 of 277 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Mexican, International, Fusion, Brew Pub
Description: Serving one-of-kind fusion Burritos, Tacos, and Tortas with a routing selection of craft beers brewed in-house by Charleston Brewing Co. along with signature Margaritas and MoJitos. Saturday and Sunday Brunch is served from 11am to 3pm along with a limited burrito and taco list to choose from. Normal business hours are Sunday through Thurs 11am to 10pm and Friday & Saturday until Midnight.
South Charleston, West Virginia
“Taste Sensation and well-deserved winner of Taste of Charleston!”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

I'm a native and can't believe this is the first time I've eaten here since the Charleston restaurant opened six months ago. Had heard the Huntington restaurant is good and apparently very popular with live music offerings throughout the week. I had my first exposure to the Charleston restaurant at the recent Taste of Charleston where they offered up the best sample of the entire event with their Chicken and Waffles. It was the best chicken tenders (honey-nut encrusted, crispy fried) I have ever tasted and the unique pairings with the candied jalapenos, pecans, and the maple sage-infused syrup was TO.DIE.FOR. In fact, it won the TOC for Best Overall Dish. I should note that the Chicken and Waffles are only available for brunch on Saturdays and Sundays. BTW, did I mention for a nominal price, Sunday Brunch includes all you can drink Mimosas and Bloody Marys?

Now, back to my weeknight dinner: It was like a party for the taste buds. Started out wanting to try all the homemade salsas so we ordered the Salsa Trio. It included a huge platter of very good, great-for-dipping chips. The three salsas were Black Bean and Corn, Fire Roasted Tomato, and Pico de Gallo. Our server, Chelsea, has been with the restaurant since they opened in Charleston and knew the menu like the back of her hand. She was a delight and very helpful. She advised that all of the salsas are made in-house with fresh ingredients and we could taste the freshness. We also ordered the queso dip. I could've made a meal of just those salsas and queso. They were great. The menu through the week consists mainly of tacos, burritos, quesadillas, as well as a few salads and sandwiches. Sounds limiting, but it is anything but! If you are like us, you will have a difficult time choosing from the exotic offerings. The pairings of meats with unique dressings and toppings make for some amazing combinations, again, all created by Black Sheep's head chef. My mother and I finally decided on two different burritos to share so we got a Thai Shrimp Burrito that included seasoned rice, pickled daikon & carrot slaw, smoked cashews, cilantro and a smoky Hoisin Peanut Sauce, and the Bulgogi Burrito, recommended by our server since we like spicy and sweet. The Bulgogi includes ginger and sesame marinated flank steak, house-made Kimchi, cilantro dijon and smoked cashews. It was a delicious combination for the Korean-inspired offering (although, honestly, the steak was a little too thick and chewy for me. Would have liked to perhaps have it more shaved than sliced, as it was). Regardless, both burritos were out of this world. Will definitely go back for another Thai shrimp and to try another taste sensation from the extensive menu.

Good value for the meal. Burritos were HUGE, had a good meat-to-condiment ratio, and were served with your choice of Black Beans, Three Bean Salad, Roasted Red Pepper Slaw, Chipotle Sweet Potato Salad, or Seasoned Rice (thought the rice could have been a little more tasty, but mixed it with my black bean salsa and it was the bomb!). Most of the burritos were in the $9 range, with a $2 upcharge to substitute shrimp.

The atmosphere was typical brewery (btw, did not try any of the craft beers so cannot comment on those). It was relaxed, rather simply decorated, nothing extraordinary, but comfortable. As I said earlier, service by Chelsea was outstanding. Will definitely be visiting again soon and have been craving those chicken and waffles off their brunch menu! Support your locally owned businesses and give this place a try. Definitely not a cookie cutter, run-of-the-mill chain restaurant. "OFF THE CHAIN," so to speak, in every sense of the phrase! Thrilled to have it in Charleston.

Louisville, Kentucky
“Good Breakfast & Outdoor seating!”
Reviewed July 25, 2014

We ate at this restaurant for a Sunday brunch. Three of us had breakfast quesadillas which were unique and very tasty. One of my group had the chicken and biscuits which tasted rich and indlgent but delicious and was a generous portion. The guys also enjoyed the beer selection. We ate outside, which was quiet & relaxing.

Visited July 2014
Elizabeth, WV
“Average.”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

First of all on a positive note, the staff was friendly. The menu was limited with mostly tex-mex type items. Although what we ordered was not bad, it was nothing special and just average at most. Sorry to say the same for their craft beers. Not bad, just average. The women's restroom was disappointing as one commode would not flush, the trash needed emptied, and there was no mirror. This brewery needs to pay more attention to detail to make it a more special experience. I would not go back.

1 Thank ellenjellen
Haymarket VA
“great bartenders and good food, beer”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

great bartenders and good food, beer and the drinks were cheap. The price I expect from a low cost city

Visited July 2014
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Very good. Wish we could have tried the full menu.”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

After reading the menu, we knew we wanted to try this out. Plus, this was a block from our hotel (Four Points). Very cool interior with a spacious layout. We were a little disappointed that they only have a brunch menu with a limited regular menu on Sat and Sun from 11-3. I was hoping to try one of the burritos, but we still made do! I had the breakfast burrito and it was fantastic--eggs, chorizo, beans, jack cheese, and their house siracha/lime cream sauce (very good and spicy!). The burrito was great and everyone in the family enjoyed pilfering my very good potato wedges. Everyone else enjoyed their quesadillas. Had to drive 4 hours after this, so did not get to try beer or their unlimited mimosas or bloody mary's for $8, but they looked good! Server was very friendly an on the ball. Will definitely try this again if we make it through Charleston again.