“Good food and even better beer”
Review of Charleston Brewing Company - CLOSED

Charleston Brewing Company
Cuisines: American
Reviewed August 11, 2013

My wife and I shared the fish and chips and it was delicious and more than enough for two. I had the 1919 Cream Ale and it definitely lived up to its billing. Good restaurant right downtown in Charleston and should have a positive influence on the revitalization of the area.

There are newer reviews for Charleston Brewing Company

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Way to pick it up Charleston Brewing Company!! I had heard some not so great reviews when this place first opened, but they have really gotten it on track. Went for dinner on a Wednesday evening with a group of 7 and everyone ordered various items from the menu... and everything was deeeelish!!! The food and service were great and the brews were wonderful. Order the beer sampler and you can try several different varieties of brew. Did I mention live music?!? Ya just can't go wrong... unless you don't go! :-)

Reviewed July 30, 2013

On our way to camp and raft the New River, some friends and I, being craft beer geeks, decided stop at the Charleston Brewing Company for dinner.
First of all, I'd never been to Charleston and I found the part of the city that the brewery is in to be beautiful. For a "downtown" area, there is an awful lot of green. Trees line quaint streets, and shops and restaurants line the sidewalks.
The brewery itself was clean and new. The "tap room" area had a modern motif and had views of the tanks that make the magic happen. Separated by a few stairs was the dining room with a "contemporary-western" aesthetic.
Our server was kind enough to push a few tables together and we were quickly seated. Of the seven of us, I believe we tried four different beers. I had the Hurricane which was heavy on the hops. One might think of it as a slightly-bold IPA. It was tasty and hit the spot after a long drive, but it was nothing to necessarily write home about. I also had the opportunity taste the Mr. Malum, which is a Belgain of sorts. The menu description claims that it is a blend of a few different Belgain styles and I would agree. However, the fact that they were brewing Belgains was more impressive than the flavor. Please don't misunderstand though, it was still a very pleasant beer, but nothing overly special.
I wanted desperately to try the Scottish Eggs. I was, however, preparing to camp, and, part of that prep includes considering bathroom scenarios. So, I decided to go with wings, which I thought might be a little lighter on my stomach. If anyone ever tries the eggs, please let me know how they are. I had my wings cooked in a Jamaican sauce, which I was a little disappointed with. Any Jamaican or Caribbean sauces I've ever tried have been sweet and spicy. Understand that this sauce is only sweet. It isn't a jerk sauce. It doesn't claim to be, either. But, don't misunderstand like me. You've been forewarned. It was still a tasty, sweet, sauce - kind of like a teriyaki flavor. The preparation was perfect. The skin was crispy, dashed with chives, and cooked through just right. It came with a side of ranch. You may want to ask if they have bleu cheese, as I wasn't given an option.
The duck liver pate was pretty tasty. If you like spreadable liver meat, you'll probably dig this.
Overall, the Charleston Brewing Company was a great place to stop for dinner with friends. We saw several happy couples and families dining as well if that's more your speed. I will more than likely stop there again if I'm ever passing through as it was easy to reach and easy to get back to the highway. If I lived in the area, I would probably frequent the CBC.
Oh, one word of warning: The men's room in the tap room only has urinals. I sincerely hope there is another accessible toilet for men in another location, but I didn't see one.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Charleston's newest restaurant is also one of it's best. On the corner of Summers and Quarrier Streets you will find amazing ales and a menu of unusual entrees. Owner, Ann Savil has decorated with art from her personal collection making a visit to this restaurant an exceptional visual and dining experience.

Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

We visited the brewpub on a Saturday at about 4:30pm. I did not drink any beer, but I did get fish and chips. I was very excited to try this new restaurant with all of its new offerings in Charleston, but opted to go with a standby meal because I was really feeling some fried fish. The meal was decent, but nothing to brag home about. It was a huge portion and served with homemade tartar sauce and smashed peas. Both of which were good. As I said before, it was a decent meal but nothing too impressive. It was way overpriced. My husband and I both ordered fish and chips with a water and diet coke and it cost around $60! We were dining with another couple who did get beer so I can only imagine how much their bill was. The atmosphere is pretty funky and would be a cool hangout, but the food was outrageous. I have heard though that this week the owner tweaked the menu to better cater to customers pallets. We shall see. I will go back to try again.