“Went against my better judgement”

Cracker Barrel Old Country Store
Ranked #58 of 279 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American
Reviewed May 26, 2012

Cracker Barrel has a documented history of discriminatory hiring practices. I would never choose to eat there on my own, however, some family were in town unexpectedly and had already stopped there and called me to meet them.

If the company's hiring bias weren't bad enough, the food all tasted the same - bland. It was obvious everything was cooked on the same grill - I found onion in my pancakes more than once. Everything was slathered with a non-descript gravy which was overly salted (like ocean water).

Then, there was the supposed service. It's clear that Cracker Barrel has to hire the worst of the worst servers because no one with any self-respect would work there. Our server had an attitude from the beginning. I had to ask three times for some lemon for my water which the server finally brought after the meal had been served. When she finally did bring it, she asked, "Do you still want this?" and tossed it onto the table. I told her about the onion in my pancake and she just looked at me. Rather than offering to have the kitchen make another pancake without onion, I had to suggest it myself.

So far, I've only described my experience. My family were all disappointed with their food. Each of them were too polite to say anything to the server and only half ate their meals mostly because they were too salty.

Finally, there was the manager. I'll cut him some slack only because he seemed much too young to be in the job - clearly the staff were running him rather than the other way around. But, the best he offered was to take $2.00 off our bill.

The good news is that my family has now sworn off Cracker Barrel. This is a business that deserves to fail and the sooner the better.

Reviewed January 20, 2012

Cafeteria style food served in a nice, homey environment.

Reviewed October 30, 2011

Cracker Barrel is Cracker Barrel, but we believe this one has cut way back on the portion sizes! WAY BACK!!! The price isn't any less though. Our service was not very good either that night. It was almost like the servers were not working together as a team. You could fill the tension in the air. We brought it to the attention of the manager, and she said that she would address the problem. She offered to give us one free meal that evening, but we told her that we did not expect any compensation. She still took our bill, and discounted it. Manager handled it very, very well.

Reviewed May 19, 2011

Pretty good food. Same as the other 300 Cracker Barrels.

Reviewed September 13, 2010

This was my first time eating at a Cracker Barrel and I had no idea what I was missing! I never thought I would find chicken and dumplings that compared to my grandmother's but these are top notch, just like what I would expect from a trip to grandma's! Everything, including the sides, tasted home cooked, and the atmosphere is cozy and quaint. We sat at a checker table where you can play checkers at the table. There are also peg games available at each table. This is a really cute restaurant and now that I know how good the food is it will be my first pick for a little down home dinner :-) I also loved the store, I could've spent hours shopping there! I can't wait to hit up another Cracker Barrel soon! A restaurant doesn't have to be fine dining to earn five stars and Cracker Barrel earns 5 stars easily.