“Customer Service at its Worst”
Review of Tidewater Grill

Tidewater Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Tidewater Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 277 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Town Center Mall
Columbia, SC
“Customer Service at its Worst”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I am a quality professional who trains customer service representatives so I know something about the subject and how customers should be treated. To their disadvantage, I hold people in the service industry to a higher standard than most and observe behaviors that the average customer may or may not observe. With that being said, my server at Tidewater Grill was one of the worst I have EVER had - and that's saying alot. I was in town on personal business; therefore a solo diner. I thought this had something to do with inattentiveness but I think it was something else, that I choose to keep to myself. Prior to being seated, the hostess was horrible - her service skills could be improved for sure! Not even sure if she ever looked me in my eye and smiled. After a 20 minute wait for a table on a Wed night, I sat at the bar - pleasant staff, bar mates were cordial. Was seated, then waited another 5-10 minutes before the server came over. He was cold, disengaged, no small talk just got right to business asking me if I had a chance to decide on my meal. Although I had decided, I felt rushed anyway. Everyone has raved about the greek salad - it was good but to me average. I ordered the white wine sauteed shrimp and scallops - not impressed; have had much better since I absolutely love seafood. During my meail, I noticed my server taking the time to setup the table right next to me, he took his time, made it really pretty for his women friends who sat there momentarily after. He was just as nice as he could be to them - attentitive, cordial, laughing, smiling, flirting; totally ignoring the fact that he had at least two other tables to attend to that I could see. After I finished my meal, I waited for several minutes to get my check - no customer should EVER have to wait to pay. For some time he stood at the girls' table chatting it up while I sat there and waited. I'm surprised I did not interrupt his conservation to demand my check - I was upset at the entire experience by this time. I wanted to leave a note for him on my check, "if you had been more attentitive to me, instead of flirting with your friends, you would have received a bigger tip!" Long review I know, but because of the sub-standard service from the hostess and the waiter to the so-so seafood, I doubt if I partake in this establishment again. And I plan to visit the area on a regular basis in the future.

• Visited May 2013

Charleston, West Virginia, United States
“Always consistent for lunch”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Always consistent food. On a sunny day get there early and sit outside. The Greek salad bowl with Salmon is fantastic.

Visited April 2013
Rochester Hills, Michigan
“Surprisingly fresh seafood!”
Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stopped in on the way down from Michigan to South Carolina and because it was so good we stopped back in on the way back. Who knew West Virginia could have such fresh seafood? I had salmon Shanghai style. Moist fish with a ginger soy sauce on rice with spinach. My husband on second trip tried Prime Rib and said it was actually seasoned well,unlike other places that are known for beef. We sat at the bar due to a busy Friday night and watched the raw bar send out a lot of oysters and shrimp apps. Good value as all meals come with great bread, salad and a side.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank murphysway
Pinckney, Michigan, United States
“Great Food in the CBD”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

The food and waiter were outstanding. The host, did not live up to the standards of this establishment. After requesting a quite location, away from the crowds, he directed us to a booth next to the sports bar (during March Madness)! Fortunately our waiter was far more sophisticated and recognized our displeasure, quickly moving us to a perfect location. The experience was a pleasure from that point on. Thank the waitstaff for saving the day.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank JKJaniga
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
“Crowded, But Good Food and Good Service”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I was in Charleston on business for a couple of weeks and ate at Tidewater several times. The restaurant has a wide menu with reasonable prices. Every meal I had was good and the service was excellent. I also went there with some co-workers after work and found a good selection of bottle and draft beer.

Visited March 2013

Been to Tidewater Grill? Share your experiences!