“Warning: Food coma inducing” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #50 of 274 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Warning: Food coma inducing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

Think twice before going to an Olive garden. Pizza Barbarosa has much better tasting food than OG. The chicken Alfredo is bustling with flavor, and you will soon find yourself unable to get up.

1 Thank BOOSTJUICE

Columbus, Ohio
“Best Pizza in the area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

Every time I am in South Charleston I go to Pizza Barbarossa. Always the same great pizza every time.

Visited June 2013
Charleston, West Virginia
“Had higher hopes”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

The owner of this establishment runs another restaurant we like very much. Neither my wife or I felt this was anything but ordinary. The waiter was attentive and friendly. We ordered the garlic bread appetizer and were very underwhelmed. It was small Grecian bread, lightly toasted with something lightly (I mean lightly) coated with oil and some herbs. There was no noticeable garlic at all and hardly any flavor period. Our main course was a shrimp topped specialty pizza. It was ok, nothing to write home about. Their website touts their pizza as the best in Charleston. I have to disagree. There are several others I'd put above this one. Overall not a terrible experience, but I'm not sure we will return.

Visited June 2013
Charleston, West Virginia
“Pleasant Stripmall Surprise.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

I was taken aback by the upscale interior of this strip mall pizza place. It is a casual hybrid of pizzaria/Italian restaurant. The menu has a nice variety of pizza, calzones, subs, pasta dinners, salads, & a few Greek choices. I ordered fried calamari, $6.95, to start (delicious) & baked chicken Marsala with linguini, $9.95. The presentation was lovely, & the server could not have been more attentive. He showed picture of the menu items on his phone!
The Marsala was a bit soupy for my taste, the chicken was chopped up & the dish was covered in mozarella, but the serving size was huge. It came with garlic bread, that was made from a baguette-delicious! My companions both had brick oven pizza. They enjoyed it. I sampled the Greek Village Pizza, $13.99 for a 12". They have a great selection of toppings. While the chicken Marsala was not something I would order again, the other entrees that I saw looked yummy. I will be back!

• Visited May 2013
Budapest, Hungary
“Hole in the wall with good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

When I first looked in the door it looked like a take out joint, so I honestly walked by in search of somewhere else to eat. There are a lot of different choices in the area but I had a taste for Italian Food, so I came back and I am glad that I did. The service is folksy and the decor not upscale, but the food was really worth the visit.

They started me off with little garlic bread circles and marinara dipping sauce which was quite tasty. I then had a house salad which was huge and delicious. I was talked into homemade Greek dressing which I really liked. My main course was spaghetti with marinara made "brick oven style" which includes melted cheese on top and I nursed a glass of Cabernet during my meal. I didn't want to eat to much that day but ended up eating everything on my plate, so I guess you can say I liked it.

I would recommend Pizza Barbarossa for a casual or family dining experience. If I am back in Charleston and on the Southside again, I wouldn't mind dropping by for another meal.

• Visited March 2013