“Food was good, service was rude! What happened to "The Customer Is Always Right"?”
Review of Mi Cocina de Amor

Mi Cocina de Amor
Ranked #22 of 286 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed May 16, 2014

Have visited this restaurant a number of times, but yesterday I was treated so rudely that I probably won't go back. I took a friend there for lunch who was visiting from out of town. We ordered from the lunch specials menue but were charged the amount on the regular menue. I ordered a chicken burrito lunch and when it was brought to the table I asked for cheese on the top. The waitress who delivered the plate immediately took it back and started to the kitchen, as she yelled to the cook/chef "This woman wants cheese on top!" Everyone in the restaurant could here her remark. The chef himself immediately returned the plate to my table (without the cheese) and informed me in a very rude tone that the burrito did not come with cheese. I then said that I knew that but would like cheese on mine. He turned around and left with my plate. It took what seemed like forever for the plate to come back to me with a small amount of melted cheese. My friend was already half way through her meal by the time mine was returned. There were probably only four or five other people in the restaurant having lunch, and they were already served. The incident was embarrassing to both me and my friend and she commented that she would have never expected such a rude response to such a minor request. I have referred people to the restaurant in the past, but probably won't do so anymore.

3  Thank Madonna W

Reviewed April 11, 2014

This was our third visit within the few months we've lived here--obviously we liked the place, but our last visit makes us not want to return. We called ahead, but showed up and were seated at the big table at the front, and there were only two of us. It seemed like a waste since other empty tables for two could've been cleaned and used. After we'd been seated, the server decided to seat another man, whom we didn't know, at our table. Dinner took forever, and the food that was previously excellent on former visits was not very good today. The server took our order, but never returned! The chef brought out our food. Our empty, completely empty drinks were NEVER refilled. We were never checked on during the course of our meal. Dirty tables sat uncleared while people standing at the door, several groups, sat unseated for at least twenty minutes, despite urging that they had reservations. It was, all in all, a total disaster. And, we waited for at least twenty minutes for a check! Despite our enjoyment of the place the first two times, it would take a change for us to return. This saddens me because I previously had such a high opinion of this place.

2  Thank 1Beedub
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We stop by this restaurant, usually for take out, at least twice a week. I have NEVER been disappointed. This brings back memories of Mexican cuisine I had in New Mexico/AZ, always the freshest ingredients, delicious flavors, and attention to detail. If there is something you are not sure about, or something not on the menu, the staff are always happy to oblige. Service is slower than at the "fast" Mexican food restaurants, but here it doesn't matter. The relaxing atmosphere, friendly staff, and attentive owner, are what makes locals keep coming back.

Not only that, during our recent water crisis which is still continuing, this restaurant has continued to prepare food with only bottled water, a HUGE big deal, and a big plus in my eyes.

Thank you, and continue the great work!

2  Thank IzzibellaE
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We LOVE this locally-owned restaurant. I'm addicted to the fresh food they serve and my husband is having an affair with the Enchiladas Blanco and doesn't even try to hide it. I eat there at least once a week if possible - not just because it's great food but because the staff are great and the owners, Frank and Julia, truly care that you have a wonderful dining experience. They are often about and about talking with their guests.
Don't take my word for it - stop in, say hello, and enjoy the wonderful dining experience in store for you!!! Sara McDowell

2  Thank Sara M
Reviewed January 31, 2014

My husband and I are always up for trying new restaurants in Charleston, and we were pleasantly surprised by our experience at Mi Cocina de Amor! The food wasn't the best Mexican I've ever had, but it was pretty tasty! The owner stopped by our table himself and asked how our food was; he was very personable.

1  Thank RachelDispennette

Been to Mi Cocina de Amor? Share your experiences!