“Not bad, but no wow factor.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Paterno's At The Park
Ranked #25 of 274 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Kids, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Hurricane, West Virginia
“Not bad, but no wow factor.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Went for dinner with 3 kids and wife. We had reservations but arrived early and were seated immediately. Waiter was friendly and did a good job especially with our kids. The food was fine but I had high hopes it would be better. Filet was average basil chicken was good , fettuccine Alfredo was good soups were ok. Italian sausage average, marinara was not to my liking. I think they would be better served to be all Italian instead of having the current menu that features other cuisines. Like I said not bad, but don't expect to have a memorable experience

1 Thank Joseph42

“Good food but the front of the house needs attention”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

We came a bit early for our reservation and were seated but only after a solid 5 minutes at the entrance where nobody was working. Finally a woman came and seated us with no recognition that we (along with several others) had been standing around aimlessly. She offered no assistance with menus or seats and provided less courtesy than one would typically encounter at ihop. The waitress provided an upgrade in attention however the wait between courses was palpable. Silverware was covered in spots from washing.
On to the food--- the food was superb. It was hot upon arriving and well-seasoned. Portions were appropriate and overall the food was excellent.
We will return for the food and I hope the service works out the kinks.

2 Thank Adh01
Lewisburg, West Virginia
“Really good Italian Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

I only rated it short of excellent because Paterno's hasn't gotten its acoustical tile in yet and it was really noisy but the owner said the tile was on the was. Aside from that -- the food was excellent, husband had Shrimp Marinara with Fettucine, he finished it all up! He ate the whole thing. Wonderful bread, great salads. I broke my 30-year ban on eating veal and had their Veal Chop Piccata with Risotta- simply superb. The Risotta was creamy and just right.

Staff friendly and efficient - husband didn't even realize the refill of bread he had asked for had arrived and was sitting waiting for him! He had Panacotta for dessert, I took a taste. It was really yummy, but too sweet for my taste. The coffee was fresh and hot!

Definitely make reservations - we had 5:30 dinner reservations and the place was filling up fast. I did see a couple who didn't have reservations come in, they were offered, and took, seats at the bar.

• Visited November 2012
Charleston, West Virginia
“Authentic Italian Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

We made plans to try this new restaurant with friends last weekend, and the place was packed. Dinner reservations were pretty full from 5 until 8 or later. The food was outstanding, and the overall experience was pretty good, but a few things could be improved. The highlights: the staff was consistently friendly - everyone with whom we came in contact was very courteous. You start with bread and olive oil, a nice touch. The food was terrific. I had the wild mushroom risotto, which was excellent, and my wife had the eggplant parm, which she liked. Friends liked the shrimp scampi; other friends really liked the veal chop, which our waitress said was a popular choice. Minor complaints: we ordered a bottle of wine, and it took a while to arrive. Our waitress did not keep an eye on us and refill our water glasses enough, which is something one expects from top restaurants. Finally, the restaurant was so loud, it was sometimes hard to hear the people we were with. This is pretty much a result of the high ceilings and poor acoustics. But we had a great time and great food, so we will go back soon. It is nice to have this good option for authentic Italian food in Charleston.

• Visited October 2012
Charleston, WV
“Great New Restaurant In Charleston”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

I had heard for a while that the Paterno family was going to open a new restaurant in Charleston and it was worth the wait. I have been there twice in four days. On my first visit I ordered the Eggplant Parmesan because it was recommended by a friend. I should have read the description a little better or I would have seen it was made with a meat sauce. The eggplant was layered more like an eggplant lasagna. Of my five friends that ordered it, only two would order it again.
On my second visit I ordered the Lobster Ravioli. It was wonderful! One of my friends had the Wild Mushroom Risotto and she loved it. Another friend had the Shrimp Scampi and I will try that next time. I had the citrus spinach salad which was very good and a friend had the citrus spinach salad with salmon added and she said she was going to get that again.
Four of us share a large slice of tiramisu that was delicious!

• Visited November 2012