“Redux Motel 6”

Ranked #19 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Westland, MI
“Redux Motel 6”
Reviewed April 9, 2011

This motel is conveniently located on MackCorkle Ave @ I-64/I-77 interchange. They have recently renovated the rooms and are very nice. Motel 6 is upgrading is refurbishing their properties nationwide and this is a gem. Various restaurants are nearby.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 14, 2011

Stayed there because my friend was invited for a pharmacy interview at the university of Charleston, WV. The location from the hotel and the downtown Charleston area was expensive in a cab. Sometimes around $20. So, it would have been nice to just pay that extra money for a cheaper hotel downtown. One nice thing is that there hotel is in front of a bus route (www.rideonkrt.com) so that bus (bus #2) takes you downtown for $1.25!

The hotel staff was very friendly. Since we made reservations, we got a room right on the first floor. The room door entrance card slot however was not working properly therefore, I had to try to insert my card more then 5 times before getting in. The room quality was ok but I ended up buying antibacterial wipes and wipe down some areas just to be safe. One nice thing for future guests is that there was a delivery of many new TVs (still old school ones) therefore the rooms will have new TVs.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank lidi86
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed January 18, 2011

Motel was just renovated, nice design. If this is the Motel 6 of the future, I will be staying at a lot more of them. Clean, and comfortable, especially the bedding.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed October 26, 2010

In spite of the negative reviews, I decided to check out this Motel 6 because the price was at least $10 lower than any other motels in the Charleston area. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that they are renovating the entire place. I was the very first guest to stay in my room.

New bathtub and shower surround, new toilet, new platform beds, mattresses, bedding & pillows. The wall-to-wall vanity with sink wasn’t new, but was clean and in decent shape. There was a modern towel cubby with light mounted next to the large mirror over the sink, and it appeared to be new.

New acoustic tile on the ceiling, all walls newly repainted with a pebbly surface. The color scheme was quite attractive, with what appeared to be new wall-hugging lamps above the beds and over the desk area. The carpet was replaced with vinyl(?) flooring in a woodgrain pattern. Much easier to keep clean – (and easier to tell if it isn’t clean). There was a new pleated curtain at the window, with heavy lining & a plastic rod to slide it open and closed. There are also new heating/air-conditioning units in the rooms.

My room had two queen beds, and a long unit with shelves at one end, a “desk” area in the middle, and several drawers at the other end. There was a TV on it, and a desk chair in the middle. There weren’t any arm chairs or table – but they might have those in some of the other rooms. Some rooms have WIFI available @ $2.99 for 24 hours.

(If you check out Motel6.com for Charleston motels, you can currently take a video tour of the Charleston West Motel 6 at Cross Lanes. They appear to have used the same color schemes, etc. in their remodeling. They have gone a bit farther in their renovating, with new sinks and counter tops – as well as new TVs. If those things are worth an additional $12 or so to you, then you should choose that Motel 6. For now, I’ll take advantage of the lower rates at this one.)

I was told that all of the rooms on the first and second floors – and half of the third floor – will be non-smoking. I commented on the ashtray in my non-smoking room, turned upside down with a prominent No-Smoking graphic affixed to the bottom. I thought this was contradictory, but I’m more understanding after it was explained to me. Although a guest may claim to be a non-smoker, the motel management can’t police them once they’re ensconced in the room. Whatever the rationalization may be, if someone in the room lights up, it is much safer for there to be an ashtray for them to use – rather than having them use wastebaskets, plastic cups, or the furniture to dispose of their ashes and extinguish the butts. It would be nice if everyone was as considerate as we would like, but some people aren’t.

As with any multi-story motel, only the guests on the ground floor have the chance to park outside the door to their room – and with this motel, that only applies to the front of the building. However, there seems to be adequate parking at both ends of the building, and there is an elevator in the middle of it – in the hall outside the small lobby.

The employees I encountered were quite friendly – on the phone and at the motel. Free coffee was available in the lobby in the morning, and there were vending machines and a free ice dispenser on the first floor. If you’ve checked out this motel in the past, and found it wasn’t up to snuff – I encourage you to give it another try.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Clayton, North Carolina
Reviewed July 24, 2010

We stayed on a Sunday night just passing thru, 2 Adults, 2 Kids.
It was the halfway point of our return trip home. I had found them online a week earlier but waited & called when 2 hours away. Great Price was the same as advertised. Plenty of empty rooms when I called but was filling up fast as we arrived. Must be very popular. I noticed other families, couples & singles arriving including 1 lady asking to stay a second night.

Staff was friendly on phone & in person. Great location right off hwy & close to several eateries. Room was quiet even though near road & train tracks. We stayed in a non-smoking ground floor room on front of buidling. It was also clean with good a/c, curtains that closed all the way, microwave, dorm size fridge & plenty of hot water. We all had a good nights sleep.

Free morning coffee in office but no breakfast which didn't matter to us since the hotel we'd stayed at a week earlier had free breakfast & we didn't eat it as it was only cereal & muffins. We prefer make your own waffles at hotels.

Negatives:
Hotel is old & a bit run down. Shower surround was cracked in 1 place, tub looked to have been repainted but paint had peeled off & sink was cracked. There is cable but tv is small. No pool but that didn't matter as we checked in late & out early only wanting a clean, safe, low priced place to sleep for one night. You get what you pay for & everything was pretty much what I'd expected. No real complaints.
Not a bad place & a good deal for the money.
I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed July 4, 2010

As a Comedian, I travel and stay at a variety of hotels and motels. This by far was the worst I have ever been in. I spent my night swatting bugs. Crawling ones in the bed and flying ones too. The matress has long since out lived its usefulness and burn marks in quilt and rug everywhere. Build up of soap and scum, in the tub as well as on the floors. No shampoo and 1 wash cloth. The trash outside had set there way too long and was smelling ripe. All for $40.00. I suggest sleeping in your car at Wal-mart first.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Charleston hotels

Hambleton, West Virginia
Reviewed May 24, 2010

First impressions say alot. when we arrived at out room, the front door was rotted at the bottom and all around the edges. We booked a nonsmoking room...when we entered the smell about made us sick. The lighting was horrible. The bathroom was covered in mold and mildew. Beds were extremely uncomfortable. No pictures on the wall. Was not impressed with anything. We have stayed at motel 6 before, but will never stay at another one after this experience.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family