“Everything Was Wonderful”

Cuisines: American, International
Charleston, West Virginia
“Everything Was Wonderful”
Reviewed November 21, 2011

I don't know about the other reviewer but in my experience, the staff was warm and friendly and accommodating. I didn't sense any pretense in the way I was treated even though I've noticed that smug superiority is a real trend in a lot of places. . Hey, who needs that?

As far as the food, I had a California roll that was as good as any I've had in areas like LA or New York (speaking of which I find it hugely ironic that a New Yorker would complain about pretentiousness.) I had an entree of noodles with vegetables and shrimp and it had a real taste to it like the herbs and spices came straight out of the ground. . It was also very filling but not heavy. Nor were the portions geared towards over eaters.

The service was great, the atmosphere comfortable, inviting and sedate.

I will also gladly tell you that this place is not geared towards children and I saw none when I was there which is a real plus.

I can't wait to go back.

• Visited October 2011

New York City, New York
“Overpriced and much room for improvement!”
Reviewed November 10, 2011

We were excited to try this new restaurant, especially with its advertised options of international cuisine. However, our recent trip there left much to be desired.

First, we were greeted by two young hostesses at the entrance who either carry little experience with warmly greeting their clientele or who are just plain pretentious. We came on a Sat night after 8 PM when their main dinner rush was over. When we inquired with the hostesses about the wait time for our party of 2, they both chimed "20...maybe 30 minutes...we're *really* busy." There was a long pause and they looked back down at their paperwork, busying themselves. They finally looked up at us again, as we hadn't budged and were waiting to give our name. The one girl, looking disinterested, then asked us if we were planning to wait. We gave our names and went to the bar/lounge room to wait.

The lounge area has a nice relaxed feel with its comfortable chairs, a tv/entertainment corner, and a full service bar. We picked up some waters and waited, probably some 15 minutes. A gentleman from behind the bar walked over to us and asked if we were dining in the restaurant. When we answered that we were waiting for our names to be called for the reported 30 min wait, he went to the hostesses, and within 2-3 minutes they came and had us seated. Mind you, the restaurant was definitely not at max capacity, as there were many tables open when we were seated.

Unfortunately there were not many vegetarian-friendly dishes on the menu for my spouse - we did enjoy the veg spring rolls and dipping sauce, and he ordered the Singapore noodles and asked for egg to be added (which the restaurant was able to do, given that they don't have tofu on hand). However, being charged $2 for a small amount of egg added onto a baseline pricey dish that has no meat to begin with is a bit offsetting. I had ordered the teriyaki chicken dish, which was overly priced at $13+ for a one thin grilled chicken breast, some sauteed vegetables, and a cup of rice (had there been two chicken breasts, or even one full breast that wasn't sliced into one thin piece, I could more easily justify the price). For dessert the restaurant offers several ice cream flavors (mango, coconut, a purple yam/root, and one other flavor) or cheesecake. We tried the coconut ice cream, as all the other flavors were sold out...rich, but tasty.

Probably the best part of our dining experience was our waiter, who was very attentive to keeping our water glasses filled and who also supplied much humor and conversation. He reassured us that the lunch buffet during the weekdays typically does have one, possibly two vegetarian dishes (he thought the Singapore noodles were one of the staples in the buffet).

We're still debating on whether to return to sample the lunch buffet, as we are wary that it might be slim pickings for a vegetarian... Unless there are changes to this establishment, we'll probably be going elsewhere for dinner. For now, we have other go-to places for Asian foods in which the atmosphere is still swanky but friendlier, and the food portions and selections justify the costs.

• Visited November 2011