“Clean, but very noisy”

Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
henderson, North carolina
“Clean, but very noisy”
Reviewed July 5, 2008

The employees at the front desk, as well as the housekeeping staff, were courteous and helpful. The rooms were very clean, and the breakfast was definitely above average. However, when making reservations, I would recommend that you request a room on the side of the hotel which is farthest from the highway. It was difficult to sleep, even with the fan on; the noise from the trucks was impossible to mask. If there are no rooms available on the opposite side of the building, I will stay somewhere else during my next visit to Charleston. Also, be aware that there is an extra charge for the security safe in each room.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Noise level
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Bear Lake
Reviewed April 12, 2008

Check in was OK. I got the 3rd degree as to my ID, they made a copy of my license after checking to be sure I wasn't someone else.

Room was nice, clean. Beds were comfortable. Internet service was good. Breakfast was good. We were close to restaurants, ate across the rd. at IHOP. Stopped in the Amish bulk food store in the strip mall next door, it was pretty neat.

The room location STUNK. I'd requested a room AWAY from the highway. Apparently as noted in previous reviews, there was no choice, as the 2 queen rooms were on the highway side. Anyway, my request wasn't acknowledged.

Our room was on the 3rd floor, directly across from the elevator... also directly across from the pop machine and ice machine. They are in the hallway, they don't have their own little room. And on the other end of our room, look out the window, and... THE HIGHWAY. Right at eye level on the 3rd floor. I think we were given probably the worst room location-wise in the whole place.
I like noise when I sleep so I bring my own loud little fan. Even with this running by my ear, I was woke up a lot during the night because of traffic.

I think the next time I'm in the area, I'll stay somewhere different. This place is just WAY too close to the highway. I don't know who the dingbat was who decided where this place should be built, but they made a mistake.

Stayed April 2008

Travelers are raving about these Charleston hotels

Washington, DC
Reviewed November 11, 2007

This hotel is ok but only if, like me, you've waited until the last minute to tell your office to make reservations for you in Charleston and everything else is booked. For a state capitol, Charleston has surprisingly few good hotels and they tend to book quickly. As such, we were scrambling and ended up at the Comfort Suites which essentially is a trucker's rest stop (it is located right off the interstate). It did, however, look much better than its nearby competitors.

I took the advice of TripAdvisor reviewers and ensured that I was at the front of the hotel (kings are in front, 2 queens are in the back) so as to avoid the interstate noise. The rooms were typical Comfort Suites (who in Comfort Suites management thought that selecting those unattractive floral bedspreads was a good idea!?), fairly clean, and the free internet was appreciated. The front desk staff was not particularly helpful and it felt like we were hosting her instead of the other way around.

I would plan ahead on a next visit to Charleston and try the Marriott downtown. It was much closer to good restaurants, shops, etc.

• Liked — Free internet
  • Disliked — Drab decor
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank Kamtini
Louisville, KY
Reviewed November 6, 2007

We decided to stay at this location at the last minute. I'm so glad we did. The room was large, clean and the bed was great. The employees were all very nice and polite.

The breakfast was great. Eggs, biscuits, gravy, fruit, yoguart, cereal (hot or cold) was available and really great!

I would definately recommend this hotel if ever staying in that area,.

People complained about the noise from the expressway but we were on the other side and didn't hear it so I would ask for a room facing the front parking lot.

• Liked — easy to get too
  • Disliked — there was nothing to not like
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed July 24, 2007

Pleasant, clean, large room. Comfortable beds with GREAT pillows -- and 4 pillows provided per bed. The pool is open 6am to 11pm & the temperature was perfect. There was easy freeway access; all 2 Queen rooms are on the back (freeway side) of the hotel -- but the ones on the first floor are pretty quiet since the freeway is set about 20 feet higher than the hotel. The wi-fi worked great. Breakfast was above the norm for a free hotel breakfast -- scrambled eggs, biscuits & gravy, baked apples, waffles, canned peaches & cottage cheese, bagels, french toast, 3 kinds of muffins, english muffins, yogurt, 3 kinds of cold cereal, 3 types of coffee, 3 types of juice, tea, milk. Absolutely no complaints -- this was a great hotel!

• Liked — Everything -- absolutely no complaints.
  • Disliked — no complaints.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank Sojourners4
Port Charlotte, Florida
Reviewed April 10, 2007

The hotel was nice. Clean rooms, clean indoor pool area, hot breakfast, free interent access. The only problem was, it is located right next to the highway, and in our room, you heard trucks all night, which kept my husband awake.

I guess you could ask for a room farthest away from the highway, if you knew about it at the time of booking.

• Liked — free parking, and free internet access
  • Disliked — our room was too close to the highway
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mooselips
cary, nc
Reviewed August 1, 2006

Our family decided to stop in WV rather than drive straight through from Virginia to Ohio. We stopped at a few hotels to find that they were booked. We stopped at the Comfort Suites as our last resort before we moved onto another town to find a room.

The hotel was a very pleasant surprise. It was clean, well maintained, had beautiful grounds, clean work out area and a very nice pool and hot tub.

The staff was courteous and friendly. The breakfast the next morning was plentiful and good for a free breakfast.

I would recommend this hotel and will be looking at Comfort Suites in the future when we travel.

• Liked — cleanliness, free breakfast
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family