WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Perth, Australia
“Nice stopping place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Check in was a little abrupt with a lack of personality and with no conversation. Asking about breakfast, check out time and how to get a taxi in the morning to the airport looked like it was a stretch by the person that checked me in especially when I didn't know the area. Not the best impression.

Room was lovely, spacious with all the amenities for a nights stay or longer. Room was clean to a standard which is manageable such as clean bed, bathroom and towels. But room hasn't had a deep clean in a couple of weeks as dust galore was present on some of the fixtures. Could hear a little traffic from the road behind but it didn't keep me awake or bother me and it did quieter through the night.

On check out Brenda (think that was her name) was the complete opposite of check in person - Lovely, warm and helpful along with the guy doing breakfast and the general manager whom I spoke to. I'm glad Brenda was the lasting impression of this hotel.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Estes Park, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

Although my room was beautiful, comfortable, and clean, I would not stay here again. Without a doubt it was the loudest room I've ever stayed in. Not only was it on the highway side and very, very close to the road with all-night traffic, there was also lots of noise from other rooms nearby. No sleep. Zero..

No airport shuttle so expect to pay $20 cash for taxi, no credit cards accepted.

Rough night!

• Stayed April 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank mrssimptom
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston/Kanawha City, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear mrssimptom,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our room.

However, We’re sorry about the noise during your stay. We will look into this point. I understand the discomfort this caused you. Again, I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for about 3 weeks last spring. I liked the location as it was easy to get most anywhere in Charleston. The neighborhood, South Charleston is small and a great place to walk. The down side is that it is right next to the train tracks in coal country. This means that there is lots of noise at all hours of the day and night. If you are a sound sleeper this will be the place for you.

The restaurant in the hotel serves good food, the exercise room is well appointed, and the pool is lovely. The place has been remodeled recently and is nicely done. The staff were very friendly. It's just those trains...

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank lrswtsn8
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston/Kanawha City, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear lrswtsn8,

Thank you for your detailed review of our hotel. I certainly apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with the train noise.

We are glad to see that you left some feedback on what you liked as well. We are pleased that you did enjoy our well appointed rooms, pool, exercise rooms, restaurant and friendly staff.

We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments.

We thank you for having chosen our Hotel. We take this opportunity to send you our best wishes.

Regards,

Brenda J.
eMedia Coordinator
Riverton, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Checked in late(after 11p.m.) after a long 20+ hour drive. Staff don't recall the young mans name, but was very helpful and friendly. Suggested a room away from the highway that would be quieter and more peaceful.
The room was very nice and very clean and comfortable.
The beds were probably the best hotel beds I have ever slept in. I like the bed firm and this one was. Also like a firm pillow and there were both soft and firm pillows on each bed and they were perfect. I've never seen a hotel that supplies different pillows.
Got a badly needed nights sleep, awoke early and enjoyed a nice complimentary breakfast in the hotel. Not a Continental breakfast but sausage and eggs and other items. Prefer the waffles but they had a pancake maker which was not working but that was okay with me.
Didn't use the fitness center or pool.
Ihop and a Texas Steakhouse nearby, within walking distance.

Room Tip: Ask for one on the first or second floor. The third floor is even with the freeway and can be a bit...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Boca Raton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

I can tell that my room was a former Comfort Suites room. A king bed with a small (two seat) "couch" in an adjoining space. Overall, the hotel seemed to have a good renovated look and the room was clean. Bed was average but the mattress cover was vinyl, quite strange (sounded like vinyl when I sat on the bed). TV was a decent size flat screen with a good selection of channels, no movie menu. Bathroom sink was outside the shower area and had good shelf space. I was not on the highway side of the hotel and the room was quiet. I would probably stay at the hotel again, but the price was too high for what I received. Breakfast was sub-par.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the front of the hotel away from the highway.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Travelinsider
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston/Kanawha City, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Travelinsider,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. I am pleased you appreciated the renovation done at our property. We regret the issues with the room accommodation and the breakfast. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen C
Case Manager
Hastings, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

Other than the front desk person who checked us in and was very short with questions that we asked - questions that should have been answered without us asking her. Such as internet password, breakfast hours, where our room was, etc. We were very happy with our stay. A front desk person with a helpful smile would put this establishment over the top!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Stratford, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Lovely room, however the layout is strange, the vanity area was just inside the front door so in full view of the rest of the room so no privacy and I could not get ready in the morning without disturbing my wife. The toilet and tub/shower were behind a door that you had to squeeze iand contort yourself in order to close the door. There was a nice sitting area and WiFi was free. The beds were comfortable.The hotel backed up to a hill with the highway above which made it quite noisy. The staff and service was terrific, the breakfast was plentiful and tasty but my eggs were lukewarm. We were only staying one night, so we did not use the pool or hot tub, but it looked good. There was a problem with the hot water but that was unforseeable and I did not fault it for that. Very expensive for a Holiday Inn Express but very comfortable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple