“Under Construction...Hopefully improvements in the works!”

Holiday Inn Express Charleston/Kanawha City
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Under Construction...Hopefully improvements in the works!”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Stayed here for 1 night while in South Charleston for business. Was rather surprised by the condition of the property, old and run down. However, they were in the middle of renovations -- which caused the entire hotel to smell like paint fumes and oil/grease from the elevator shafts that they were working to repair. They offer breakfast in the morning -- its not bad but could use some tweaking. The eggs and potatoes were extremely salty, to the point that I aborted eating and went to cereal and toast. The staff was friendly and the room was average. The bed provided a decent nights sleep but that's about it. I am not sure I would stay here again. There are other options just a short drive away in downtown Charleston that I will probably consider.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Courtney R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston/Kanawha City, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
This is not the Holiday Inn Express Charleston South. The property you are referring to is the Holiday Inn Express Civic Center located in downtown Charleston. We are located at exit 95 I64 approximately 10 minutes from downtown. Thanks.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We checked in at nine pm on Sun. Sept. 30, 2012. The air conditioner was on in the room and set to 56 degrees. When I woke up the next morning and turned on the light a cockroach ran across the floor. I captured it in a cup and took it to the front desk. The woman at the desk was friendly and said she would leave a note for her manager. He was not due in for two more hours. When we checked out a different woman at the desk gave us a discount of nine dollars. She acted like this was not unusual. I called Holiday Inn Corporate Headquarters and they offered to send me 11 more dollars. I told them to keep it, I just thought they should take care of the bug problem. I guess freezing them out is not working. I hope they will take the 11 dollars and hire an exterminator .

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank PegB900
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston/Kanawha City, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear Peg B,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Janice A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Charleston hotels

Asheboro, North Carolina
Reviewed August 17, 2012

On Aug 9th my 20yr old son was traveling from Canada back home to NC. He had car trouble & had to spend the night in Charleston. The only problem was that nobody would rent him a room because he was not yet 21 even though he was 7 days shy of his birthday. It was 2am. He had been traveling since 9am the day before. Despite explaining his situation & offering to have me, his mother, call they still refused. I called Holiday Inn & spoke w/a VERY nice man named Mark or Marcus (sorry, I was upset & don't remember exactly) and explained what was going on and he said under the circumstances he would be happy to rent him a room. I almost cried. So thank you Holiday Inn for taking in my son when nobody else would. You deserve 5 stars in book!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank gandssmith
Pennsboro, West Virginia
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Qui, my enormous mastiff service dog in-training, was heartily welcomed at this pet-friendly Holiday Inn. The first night, Qui was terribly distracted as she had never seen a pool (visible from front desk) nor had been in an elevator before. It was only her second overnight travel trip. I chose this place because they were pet-friendly, but despite her poor behavior, as soon as they discovered the dog was training for service, they did not charge the pet fee. Great start!
Every staff member, from front desk to housekeeping, with whom we came into contact was respectful of the mobility/ balance dog training process and even eagerly helped when I was practicing. Elevators are now handled with ease everywhere thanks to using the hotel's to train. She is now, only a month later, doing her main job effectively and I credit the experience at the hotel with the early start. Additionally, my luggage was carried to my car by a staff member when I checked out....I am ashamed that I did not have dime one in cash to tip him, especially since he recognized my disability, yet did not make me feel disabled. I hope he reads this....a sincere thanks doesn't pay the bills, but his gentelmantliness was indeed priceless.
Although the training of the dog aspect was the most important, I really liked the look of the hotel's interior - fresh, tasteful, spotlessly clean and in perfect repair.
Thanks to all the people who made this a good experience...and for calling my four-legged baby pretty! I will definately chose to stay there again whenever I have business in Charleston.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Monequi
columbus
Reviewed August 11, 2012

I thought this place was really good. Semi was getting fixed and they recommended this place. kitchen hours aren't convienent but there is a bar. there was an area where you could access their computers and they had unlimited wifi if you used your own device.

Room Tip: no noise on the 6th floor
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Chicago
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Do not know what this was before they pasted the sign saying Express. We are gold with holiday inn products which says we use them often during each year ie so far we have stayed this year alone in expresses in Il Oklahoma new Mexico Arizona Utah Montana South Dakota Wyoming Iowa west Virginia Virginia Indiana Michigan Ohio and Wisconsin. This One owas not up to average. I requested a top floor and got ground but was informed that was all they had- checked that and not sure that was true. My room faced the cars which were about 10 feet from my bed. I got to listen to the smokers outside by their cars during the night - hmmm thinking that is not a plus. Bed is good and the bathroom counters are granite. The carpet has been replaced. The hot tub was hot and the pool warm and pleasant. The room was not clean- found long hairs and nasty bugs on the bathroom floor and the tub was dirty. The refridgerator had food remmenats in it. I felt like they forgot to clean the room. There was white stuff on parts of the carpet like they had tried to clean up puke or cover up previous animal occupants - could not tell. DH never complains about a place and he was not happy with the state of our room. I chose this because it was convenient to the turnpike and that is the good part about the place. The lady doing breakfast was on top of things and very pleasant.
I think this could be okay but they need to monitor the cleaning - make sure that the rooms get cleaned. I will not stay here again - too many other options available.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the turnpike- that will cut down in the noise and stay away from the ground floo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank bcirish
Bristol, Indiana
Reviewed August 4, 2012

After staying at another hotel sharing this parking lot on our trip down, it was evident that we would not be returning their no matter how convenient it was to get to - but that's all in another review. We were VERY pleased with not only the hotel, but also the staff at this Holiday Inn but then, we have traditionally chosen Holiday Inns with very little by way of regrets. It was apparent that there had been a major renovation on the first floor where we stayed, can't say much about other floors, elevator etc, as we only used the hallway to get to our room at the end of the hall. The ONLY complaint I had (and it's minor) there was a pretty major tear in the screen, but as we would have had a lot of road noise in our double queen suite, opening the window was not an option. With the a/c unit running there was minimal road noise, and nothing that kept any of us awake.

I would recommend this hotel to most anybody, and would strongly consider a return stay if in the area.

Room Tip: lower floors on the road side are not too bad for noise level...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family