“Decent hotel for money, but is it still a Comfort Suites?” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Charleston/Kanawha City

Holiday Inn Express Charleston/Kanawha City
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Belpre, OH
“Decent hotel for money, but is it still a Comfort Suites?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2011

Stayed here for 3 nights while daughter attended WV Dance Festival. Had made reservation thru Choice Hotels website several months ago then a week before staying had to add a night. Couldn't locate hotel on Choice Hotels website, so I ended up calling the hotel directly and added the night. Then got an email from Choice Hotels saying this hotel was no longer part of their network. Called hotel again and confirmed stay. They answered phone Comfort Suites. Said they were in limbo and did not know what their name would end up. Upon arrival it was still a Comfort Suites. Decent room with 2 queens, sofabed, fridge and microwave for $98 a night. Bathroom was small but a plus was the sink and mirror were seperate so 2 could get ready at the same time. We were on the backside close to the interstate but were not bothered by traffic noise, just kept the fan on auto. Has a nice indoor pool and also one of the best selections for a breakfast we have had lately. Employees were friendly, would recommend hotel to all, as a matter of fact we have booked a future stay ourself.

Room Tip: get room on front side if worried about noise
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2011

We stayed in this hotel as a stop on the way back from vacation. We thought the price was not too high bit not so cheap that we were worried. Before checking in we found out that there was a hot breakfast and a pool. There were reasonable resturanta nearby and we thought this was a good sign. We thought we set ourselves up for a relaxing night but it was anything but comfortable!

On the door to the hotel says " room to breathe" indicating that the entire hotel was smoke free. This is the case now at the hotel but you can tell that it has been a smoking hotel in the past because the smell strongly lingers around in the hallways, stairs and common areas.

When we opened our room we were shocked by the size of the bathroom. We are small people and it was difficult to Arne on the side of the shower and close the door. The room loomed clean on the surface and comfortable on the surface so we decide to throw on a bathing suit and check out the pool. New quicy realized that the front desk person was the only person working onthe building because she was checking everyone inane restocking towels in the pool area on filmic this there was a line of people out of the door wAiting to check in and she could have used help. She was quick and friendly just overworked aNd overwhelmed. She became very helpful As the situation began to deteriorate.

After the pool I wnt to rinse off in the room and found a mysterious red stain on the show curtain after thinking touselfncould this plssibly be cool-aid I got out of the shower and vowed not to shower in the morning.

Next, I went to get in the bed and just relax. Pulled the sheets back and saw a black hair on the bed. Looked closer and realized the entire bed was covered in little black hairs. I went to grab the phone to call the desk and then realized the black hairs where on the bedside table and on top of the phone. I didn't wantto touch the phone so I wnt down to the desk and requested a room change. The kind person at the desk tried to apease us and upgraded our room to one with whirlpool tub so we went back up the stairs and switched rooms. Oddly, the new room was right next to the old one so I was still worried that it may be just as dirty. The bed was better except one pillow that had a black stain. We didn't use that one but at least there was nothing that looked like dog hair in the bed. Just to be safe we put our beech towls on the bed and pillows and slept on those.

After the bad experience I didn't want to think about what might be in th whirlpool tub...

The mattress was comfortable and not too hard or soft. Needless to say I didn't sleep well because I was worried about how dog hair could stay on sheets if they were cleaned.

There was a Texas Steakhouse nearby that we ate at however it was just as sketchy as the hotel, would not recommend.

Breakfast in the morning was fine but the room was way to small for the number of people needing to use it.

Finally we did not enjoy the pool because it was vey warm. A heated pool is great but it felt so hot that it was not refreshing and it needed a good scrub down. Very crowded and the acoustics picked every shreek, it was not relaxing so we left.

I would not stay here again and I would suggest thT you drive a little further to Beckley or Huntington for better rooms and rates. This room is not worth the cost and abrogation.

• Stayed April 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Charleston hotels

Nashville, TN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2010

This Comfort Suites is across the river from downtown Charleston but is a convenient drive to downtown. The location is next to the I-64 exit ramp, and road noise is quite loud from the parking lot. Our reservation for 2 queen beds would have put us on the back side of the hotel closer to the ramp, but we were able to get a king room on the front where we heard no road noise. The hotel is behind a BP gas station near the VA clinic and Texas Steakhouse. The staff is friendly and helpful.

An earlier reviewer was correct saying the room rate is too high. We got a 20% discount through a membership program, but the discounted rate is still too high for the value. For the same rate, we’ve stayed at nicer hotels on this trip. The Comfort Suites where we stayed in Indianapolis was much nicer for $20 a night less.

The room is clean but in need of newer carpet, upholstery, curtains, and comforter. The microwave and refrigerator are clean and handy. The sink is outside the tub and toilet area which is handy for two people preparing for the day. The TV is older but has a good picture. The bed is comfortable for a good night’s sleep. The sitting area has a desk, chair, sofa, and full-length mirror. The AC works just fine without a lot of extra noise.

The hotel has no PC for guest use, but guests are allowed to use the PC in the lobby of the Country Inn and Suites next door.

Breakfast in the lobby is like other Comfort Suites. Some hot items include biscuits, potatoes, and eggs (but the eggs have no flavor). Belgian waffles, yogurt, fresh fruit, cereals, instant oatmeal, fruit juice, and coffee are available. It’s not great, but it’s enough to start the day. Get there early if you like your coffee hot.

An indoor pool and hot tub are available. The jets could be better in the hot tub, but it’s better than nothing.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2010

There were some nice things about this motel. The check in clerk was welcoming and helpful and, despite being expected to do three jobs at a time, she somehow kept her poise and her smile. The other nice thing was a tasty breakfast and a helpful breakfast attendant who seemed to genuinely care about his guests. But on the down side, our room was right next to the busy highway and there was a lot of dust in the carpet corners. One of the comforters had an obvious oily stain on it and no one seemed concerned about this. We reserved a handicapped accessible suite, but what we got was one snug room with two beds, an accessible bathroom and a noisy air conditioner. The hotel was full, so there wasn't any use in requesting the suite we had reserved, but I checked with the morning clerk to be sure we hadn't paid for a suite and were given a room instead. She said - we call all our rooms suites. When I asked - even when they are not suites? - she replied - yes. She really didn't seem to understand what I was saying after rephrasing this concern in several ways. I finally told her I'd just write to the corporation for an answer to my question. She told me to have a nice day. Sigh. Stay elsewhere if you can.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2010

I guess I'm just accustomed to getting more for my money. The room was nice, breakfast too. But, I paid $123 for one night's lodging. I'd expect to pay that at a much classier hotel--not a Comfort Inn. If I'm ever in Charleston again, I'll stay elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Morgantown, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2010

I stay in the South Charleston area 3 to 10 nights almost every month. Although this is my favorite hotel in the area, I really can't afford to pay $130 a night given the amount of time I stay in a hotel. But if you're going to stay just one night, this is a very nice place - clean, up-scale, the kind of place you'd reserve for your mother. (If you love your mother, that is!) The breakfast is MAH-VO-LUSS but the breakfast hours are not friendly for early-risers. If you can afford to stay here, and need to stay in the South Charleston area, this is the place, don't look elsewhere. The next least-expensive motel in the area (about $70 cheaper) is a very significant drop in quality.

• Liked — CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank harrywv
norfolk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2010

hotel was clean, front desk staff was pleasent and helpful, breakfast was great and plentiful, coffee tasted good, indoor pool and spa was delightful. Hotel was right next to I-64 but our room was on opposite side and we heard absolutely zero highway noise. only complaint was the $25 charge for having my dogs with me. Hotel website buries the pet fee information and then only refers to it as a "small" fee - and $25 is not small.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple