We stayed in this hotel as a stop on the way back from vacation. We thought the price was not too high bit not so cheap that we were worried. Before checking in we found out that there was a hot breakfast and a pool. There were reasonable resturanta nearby and we thought this was a good sign. We thought we set ourselves up for a relaxing night but it was anything but comfortable!
On the door to the hotel says " room to breathe" indicating that the entire hotel was smoke free. This is the case now at the hotel but you can tell that it has been a smoking hotel in the past because the smell strongly lingers around in the hallways, stairs and common areas.
When we opened our room we were shocked by the size of the bathroom. We are small people and it was difficult to Arne on the side of the shower and close the door. The room loomed clean on the surface and comfortable on the surface so we decide to throw on a bathing suit and check out the pool. New quicy realized that the front desk person was the only person working onthe building because she was checking everyone inane restocking towels in the pool area on filmic this there was a line of people out of the door wAiting to check in and she could have used help. She was quick and friendly just overworked aNd overwhelmed. She became very helpful As the situation began to deteriorate.
After the pool I wnt to rinse off in the room and found a mysterious red stain on the show curtain after thinking touselfncould this plssibly be cool-aid I got out of the shower and vowed not to shower in the morning.
Next, I went to get in the bed and just relax. Pulled the sheets back and saw a black hair on the bed. Looked closer and realized the entire bed was covered in little black hairs. I went to grab the phone to call the desk and then realized the black hairs where on the bedside table and on top of the phone. I didn't wantto touch the phone so I wnt down to the desk and requested a room change. The kind person at the desk tried to apease us and upgraded our room to one with whirlpool tub so we went back up the stairs and switched rooms. Oddly, the new room was right next to the old one so I was still worried that it may be just as dirty. The bed was better except one pillow that had a black stain. We didn't use that one but at least there was nothing that looked like dog hair in the bed. Just to be safe we put our beech towls on the bed and pillows and slept on those.
After the bad experience I didn't want to think about what might be in th whirlpool tub...
The mattress was comfortable and not too hard or soft. Needless to say I didn't sleep well because I was worried about how dog hair could stay on sheets if they were cleaned.
There was a Texas Steakhouse nearby that we ate at however it was just as sketchy as the hotel, would not recommend.
Breakfast in the morning was fine but the room was way to small for the number of people needing to use it.
Finally we did not enjoy the pool because it was vey warm. A heated pool is great but it felt so hot that it was not refreshing and it needed a good scrub down. Very crowded and the acoustics picked every shreek, it was not relaxing so we left.
I would not stay here again and I would suggest thT you drive a little further to Beckley or Huntington for better rooms and rates. This room is not worth the cost and abrogation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Holiday Inn Express Charleston/Kanawha City. Located only minutes from the majestic West Virginia State Capitol, Yeager Airport, beautiful downtown Charleston and the historical East End district. Other points of interest are the Clay Center for the Performing Arts, the University of Charleston and Appalachian Power Stadium home of the West Virginia Power. As our guest of the Holiday Inn Express, you will stay in one of our totally renovated, spacious king, queen or executive suite room with high speed Internet, your choice of plush pillows and great nights sleep mattresses. Also enjoy our complimentary hot breakfast buffet with the worlds best cinnamon rolls. Fresh brewed coffee is available every evening. After a busy day of work or travel, you can energize yourself in our fitness center. Then, cool down in the heated, indoor pool and hot tub. Enjoy the many food options near the hotel that include everything from fast food to steak houses. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Charleston/Kanawha City reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Charleston South Hotel Charleston
- Comfort Suites Charleston
- Charleston Comfort Suites