“Not bad, not spectacular” 3 of 5 stars

Book early and Save 15%
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Kansas
“Not bad, not spectacular”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

Stayed here one night after 12+ hours on the road. The hotel seemed to be in a not-very-happening part of town. It did seem to be one of the nicer hotels in the immediate vicinity. However, I thought it was a little over-priced.

I liked that there were several dining options within walking distance. There was an indoor pool and hot tub. The room was not very memorable, but it seemed roomy and I do not recall any issues with cleanliness. The breakfast was good and the staff was very friendly. The room came with free wi-fi and it worked well.

On the down side, the pool and particularly the hot tub were a little dirty....I remember seeing some mildew in the hot tub. There is a shady looking Motel 6 next to this hotel, and I was extra careful to not leave anything valuable in my car overnight because I was worried about some of the characters I saw hanging around that motel.

This hotel allows pets, which I would normally avoid, but I knew this before making the reservation so I'm neutral on this. I did get a non-smoking room. I'm not sure if this hotel offers smoking rooms, but there did always seem to be a crowd of people smoking outside the front door.

Since I was on a multi-day drive, I wasn't sure where I would be staying this night and I didn't do much research until I was in Charleston. If I had to do it again and knew in advance what city I would be spending the night in, I think I could do a little better on value. But this place was okay and had good service.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars

Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

What a nice surprise this hotel was! Country Inn & Suites was easy to find (right off the interstate), pet friendly, and incredibly clean. We decided to stay here as we were traveling across the country and this was our last stop on a long 8 day trip. We never imagined it would be so nice. The hotel was quiet and parking was easy. We were able to use the jacuzzi and indoor pool and were lucky enough to be the only ones around! The pool area, pool, and jacuzzi were clean and well cared for. It was the exact kind of relaxation we needed after a long trip across the country. The location is convenient to many restaurants and the area is really beautiful and scenic. I am thinking it would be even more beautiful during fall travel. Beds were comfortable and the hotel is very accommodating to pets, complete with treats at the front desk for them. Because we booked the pet friendly package on line (if traveling with pets, use this package as it will save you on the pet fee), we were also given a room that was close to the front desk so that we did not have to travel far with the animals. We thought this to be very considerate and really appreciated the thought put into that package. We left too early to enjoy breakfast but there were fresh baked cookies and coffee available at all times in the front lobby that we enjoyed. Country Inn & Suites is a hotel that we are extremely likely to visit again and would definitely recommend to others.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
fairfax VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

Pulled in at 1am with kids on our drive from Virginia to St.Louis. The parking lot look odd, not a spot to be had. Also, saw 2 ladies of the night walking through the hotel parking lot which is not exactly what you want to see when you have 2 toddlers in the back of the car. The breakfast was great and the rooms were nice but overall the area looked a little shady, especially at night. The hotel was noisy, you could hear the trucks from the highway in the room as well.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank lucka13
Cincinnati
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2010

We are very pleased with this hotel. We like to stay at a hotel with a pool so the kids can work off some energy after being in a car all day. The pool and hot tub were very clean and the kids had a great time. At 3 in the morning my one son woke up and threw-up in the bed. I called the front desk and in less than 5 mintues the gentleman working had brought up new bedding for us and took the soiled ones with him. He was very understanding and didn't make us feel at all bad. The breakfast in the morning was good too.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank CincinnatiCeleste
Southside Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

My wife and I have used this hotel on several occasions when visiting family in Charleston. We have always found the staff to be helpful and pleasant.
On our most recent visit, the suite we were given was very clean and appeared to have been recently renovated. Even though the bedroom faced the highway, we noticed very little traffic noise. The breakfast choices were good but some bacon or sausage would have been a welcome addition.
We look forward to staying at this hotel on our next visit.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

Prices were reasonable, hotel clean, staff friendly.
Minor annoyance was the ice machine didn't work, so we were directed to go to the sister hotel next door.
The breakfast was only OK in terms of variety; egg, biscuitt and gravy, no potato product, waffles could be made, cereal, some pastries.
Room was clean, included refrigerator and microwave, pool in good condition.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2008

This hotel was nice, big comfy beds many pillows big bathrooms and plenty of towels. Pet Freindly!!!:) I would definately stay here before staying at any other hotel in the area. Little expensive, but I think its worth it for the other choices in the same area.

• Liked — Fast freindly
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)