“Where is the southern hospitality”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Charleston South
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Austin, Texas
“Where is the southern hospitality”
Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

Hotel had easy access to freeway but not in greatest part of town. The physical hotel was very nice and clean but in retrospect I probably should have stayed downtown. As we stayed on a Sunday night the downtown area was very quite and we wanted to avoid traffic Monday morning.
The individual checking us in just seemed to be going through the motions. If this is your job of choice show some energy. It is the hospitality industry, be hospitable.

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
West Virginia
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I spent a week here on business. The staff was very friendly and the conference room was adequate. Breakfast was included with the room and it was typical with a good variety. If you stay here, get a room on the the North-East side of the building. I 77 is behind this motel and it doesnt take long to find out that it is there. I did request to move to a room on the front of the building and the front desk had no problem giving me a room there. Otherwise, a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Pick a room on the front away from the interstate.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank BigAlWestVirginia
Bristol, Indiana
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Check in, lady was friendly enough - counted heads and said the only thing she had to fit our 5 person family, that was available, was a king suite. Lobby looked nice enough, so ok, we paid up and headed up to the room. First thing we noticed - there were only beds for 4, one king and one pull out sofa ??? She counted us herself - how did she miss the extra bed we obviously needed. Did she really think we'd put 2 girls and one boy in the King and 2 tall parents in the double pull out???? On our way to get our stuff from the car, we stopped at the desk and asked to have a roll away brought up. First she said she wasn't sure there was one available, and had to go back to storage to find one. Are you kidding me - why did you even consider asking us to pay for the room if you couldn't provide proper sleeping arrangements?????????? She found one, rolled it out into the hallway from the storage room and said there you go. We get everything up to the room, including the bed, and notice we were short a couple of pillows and a blanket for the pull out. Phone call to front desk - she said she wasn't sure if they had any extras - to call her back in about 5 minutes. REALLY??? Called back - yes they found some, she'd have them at the front desk for us. REALLY? REALLY??????

All in all, I guess if I was at the local department store, I'd have been happy to get a bed, two pillows and a blanket for under $150. Unfortunately, I was at a supposed 3 star hotel, and was looking for decent customer service, and relaxation not a workout. I think I'd have had a better experience at a 2 star, and paid less for it to boot.

Hubby was able to fix their door frame for them - perhaps we should have submitted THEM a bill for that.

We have to go back thru Charleston on our way back home. This hotel will not even be a last choice consideration, we'll keep driving first. Our first stay at a Country Suites will likely be our last, no matter what city it's in. They are lucky Trip Advisor stops the low rating at 1 - I wouldn't have voluntarily given them THAT much.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I had to stay at this hotel while doing business in Beckley. Due to the storms and power outages, this was the closest hotel that had a room available. The only thing that was available was a King suite for $185. Seemed a little pricey for the hotel but I had no choice. The place was clean and the room was good. The breakfast sucked pretty much, but they usually do. Do not go to the Texas restaurant across the parking lot.. it was awful.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
montreal
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Moldy fruit in the breakfast area, barking dogs in two different rooms, dried up tea bag in the coffee maker in room. Very grungy feeling about the place. Will not stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank rwnjab
Reviewed June 2, 2012

Security issues. We checked 4 two rooms. Clerk courteous not friendly. 10:00 pm. Went to our rooms used key embarrassed to find someone in the room. Other room occupied as well. Ugly situation avoided because all parties were courteous and pleasant. Begs to worry as the one room was occupied no one was in it but we could have robbed the people blind. Clerk Apologized gave us new rooms. Definitely used the security latch. However would not want to be in hotels shoes for liability of theft or physical harm of guest if reactions of people had been different in this day and age. Would not stay there again due to lack of security

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank Neenashoes
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I brought my family on the way to Myrtle Beach. What I was worried about was all the dogs there. But when I got to my room I found it very clean (I check the phones, light switches, toilet and even the doorknob) The building wasn't made out of cement so if you're a light sleeper, I'd request the 3rd floor where there is no one above you. The breakfast was, as expected with CI&S awesome. Stores all around for supplies and right next to the highway but didn't hear a thing! I highly recommend this hotel and will stay there again.

Room Tip: 3rd floor so no one's above you!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family