“A place to stay with dogs!!”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Charleston South
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We knew that we were staying in Charleston for the night but wasn't set on a hotel. We had done some research about what hotels allowed dogs and I wasn't too thrilled with the choices. We were about to go to the Red Roof Inn (which I was skeptical about but they allowed dogs) and we saw this hotel. We went inside and found out that dogs were welcome! It was during Xmas and my fiance and I both liked that they had decorated inside. The room was clean with no doggy odor which was good. The breakfast area is really small. We lucked out by getting down there before the masses came as the area filled up fast. They had a hot breakfast....biscuits and gravy but I just stuck with cereal and a bagel. No bananas which was a bummer. It's a regular run of the mill hotel, nothing fancy but it did us just fine! Soooooo glad they accepted dogs!!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Charleston South

Reviewed October 16, 2011

The room was clean, service very friendly, we had a dog with us, they have a nice dog walking area. Breakfast was good, my husband was a little disapointed because there was no breakfast meat, but there was waffles, scrambled eggs, biscuits & gravy, pastries, juices, coffee & tea. It was good. The pool & hot tub were very nice after a long drive and there is a variety of restaurants around for dinner. We got a suite & it was really nice, I would stay there again, we have stayed there in the past & Im sure will again...easy access off of 77 also...

Room Tip: We were in room 108, close to the pool, gym & lobby, very nice...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank dbarano
Reviewed October 10, 2011

I have stayed in a number of Country Inn and Suites. Most were fairly new and I enjoyed my stay and felt the value was good to very good. However, I found this location is badly in need of a major renovation. Common area carpets were dirty and the same with the elevator. Room doors were banged up. Bottom of tub surface looked dirty or stained. My wife would not take a bath in it. Hairs were also found in the tub. Bathroom sink backed up when shaving. Staff at desk o.k. but not overly friendly or helpful. Room cost on a slow Sunday night was at same level of the nicer locations I have stayed. For the money we paid we should have gone down the road a little further and been much happier with our hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 15, 2011

We are a family of 4 and stayed in this hotel for a long weekend. The hotel was clean and very quiet, the breakfast was alright and there was a complimentary PC with internet and printer in the lobby. Our children really enjoyed the pool. The view from our window may not have been the best, but on the other hand, the location was convenient in terms of dining (walking distance) or shopping (groceries, pharmacy, gas-station....). If you are planning to visit the national parks (E or SE of Charleston), this is a good starting point. We would recommend this hotel for a weekend getaway.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 15, 2011

I normally stay next door to this place at a sister property (old comfort suites, in process of turning in to a holiday inn ) next door was sold out due to limited rooms available because of renovations taking place...when I called next door my call was transferred to the country inn ..it is a nice clean place ...freindly people...bed was so-so (not the best but not the worst) everything was up to par only issue is I pay $80.00-$89.00 next door but I was told that country inn rooms could not go lower than $99.00 and that was cutting me a real deal?..I feel that since they are transferring people to this property from next door(same owner) that they should price match the rates to regular customers....

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Because we don't usually take our pug with us, we were very limited in overnight hotel choices on a summer road trip to a family reunion. Country Inn and Suites Charleston-South welcomed our pet and it was located next to a grassy area for dog-walking. The gentleman at the front desk was very pleasant and efficient. Our room was spacious, clean and had a small refrigerator. It was an easy walk to nearby restaurants. My husband enjoyed the indoor pool. We slept well on the king-size bed, got a good morning start with their breakfast options, and were on our way with easy access to the highway. It appeared to me to be the nicest choice available at that exit, just south of Charleston.

Room Tip: Our room was in the back, near the exit for dog walking.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 26, 2011

So maybe the headline was a little exaggerated but showing up to your hotel at midnight only to find there are NO parking spots is unacceptable. On top if that, the staff clearly knew this as the lot was filled with 8 huge electrical trucks.

Our only choice was to park in a handicap spot or a dark alley around the side of the building. No apologies from the staff, no discount, just a 'oops sorry for the inconvenience but you are out of luck'.

Obviously you can't hold this against the entire chain of hotels but at the very least an advance warning that parking would be tough to find was warranted.

The service at this hotel needs some additional training in customer service. Until that happens, stay away.

• Stayed: August 2011