Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Charleston South
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 1, 2011

We needed pet-friendly room om the way back from vocation and ended up booking a room in Country Inn. Normally we stay in Marriott or Hampton. Not-smoking room stank of years of smocking; floor was covered with animal fur, and the most disguising - comforter had lots of hairs on it, and had large wet spot in the middle. In the bathroom we found what looked like recycled towels. The manager kept to apologize to everybody, it looked like their only solution to all problems. The breakfast was ok, but the area is overcrowded and food ends pretty soon. Would be ok for $50, not $130

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank AnnaOakville_On

Reviewed July 25, 2011

Had to stay here on a business trip in the area. Located right next to the highway, so it was noisy at night. I stay at Country Inn & Suites regularly, and this is one of the poor examples. It wasn't dirty, but it wasn't clean either - and it wasn't totally uncomfortable, but it wasn't great. Overall it was "blah". I survived, but I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank jtgraddy
Reviewed July 19, 2011

I stayed here five days during a softball tournment. The frOnt desk lady was very helpful accept when we got out if the pool there was no yield and I took her over 20 minutes to get us towls. Breakfast wasn't the greatest but over all I give it a B.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed July 4, 2011

The front desk lady was very helpful at check in and explained were everything was and the best places to eat. Pool and hot tub was warm and clean. The room, in front of building was updated and very clean. Breakfast was o.k. . Overall a pleasurable stay, will return again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hogaholic29
Reviewed May 23, 2011

Caught in traffic and still several hours from home, I chose to just get a good night's sleep. So I opted to stay at a "suite" hotel and expected to pay a premium price, but also get a better value for the money. All that was available, or being offered was a king bed, 2 room suite. I threw my bag in the room and went for a nice dinner. I came back late and upon using the bathroom for the first time, found dirty towels still piled up and an overflowing trash can. The rest of the room appeared to have been cleaned and just the bathroom was missed. It was late and extra towels were available, so I just crashed. New soap was available but I ended up using my own shampoo, since none was provided. The breakfast area is very small and was overwhelmed by a tour bus the next morning. At checkout, I mentioned the unclean bathroom and although the room number was noted, I only received a quick apology. Not sure what I expected, maybe a discount on the current stay, or a discount on a future stay. But something more than just an "I'm sorry". If I need an overnight stay in that area again, I will either push onto the next city, or at least choose a different hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank CrownContraDad75
Reviewed May 18, 2011

We were driving home, and stopped here without a reservation. The main hotel didn't have room, but there is an adjacent hotel called "Aspen Suites" which did have rooms. It was 2:00AM when we checked in, and the front desk clerk gave us keys to an already rented room. Fortunately, when the key cards didn't work, we headed back to the front desk before we woke anyone up trying to get into their rented room! For this, they took $10 off our room rate. When we did get the right room, we found it clean, well-maintained, and very nice for our needs. This is not a luxury hotel, but it is above average. The linens were fresh and bug-free, the carpet was clean and relatively new, there was a microwave and minifridge and flat-screen tv in the room. Ours also had a small pull-out sofa. The furnishings were very basic, but we had wifi. This hotel met our needs well.

Room Tip: Check in before midnight!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Country Inn has always provided good value for the price. This property is no exception. It is conveniently ocated just off the main freeway , within walking distance to nearby restaurants. Make it a point to ask for a room farthest from the freeway, if noise is an issue. The Front Desk person was kind enough to grant our request. Rooms are quite dated but clean. The bathtub however needs a good cleaning with hard water stains and soap scum plentiful. The freebie breakfast was passable, though the breakfast room was tight and dark. I'd recommend you try another Country Inn and Suites.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business