“Excellent, to say the least”

Hampton Inn Charleston - Southridge
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Richmond, Virginia
“Excellent, to say the least”
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Beautiful hotel. Check-in was a breeze. Excellent location with multiple restaurants & shopping within walking distance. No need to even cross a street.

We had a great-sized wheelchair-accessible room, just as requested. Our teen did note that the sofa bed was quite uncomfortable. Our bed was one of the better beds we've stayed in recently, and we travel quite a bit.

One of the biggest shockers? About ten minutes after we checked into the room, we received a phone call from the front desk, just checking to be sure that everything was okay. Evidently that's normal. Other hospitality establishments could learn a thing or two from this place.

Definitely recommend.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank lovethosemiles
HamptonCharlestonMGR, AdminStaff at Hampton Inn Charleston - Southridge, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
Thank you for taking your time to write a review! We appreciate it greatly. We are pleased you had a pleasant stay and are sorry for the sofa bed was uncomfortable for your teen, we will see what we can do to remedy that for future guests. We are also happy that our service to you was "Excellent". We look forward to seeing you again on a future visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Crab Orchard
Reviewed December 18, 2011

I stayed at this hotel four days a week for four months while attending training for work. This is the BEST hotel in which I have EVER stayed. Not just in West Virginia, but anywhere. The staff is always wonderful! The front desk always asks about a wakeup call when I arrive. They always ask how everything is every time I pass the front desk; they are more than willing to help any way they can! I never had any problem with noise, and in the morning, the house keeping staff make sure you have left the room before they come knocking. I was never disturbed by any of the staff. Everyone in the hotel, including the manager, Michael, is a pleasure to deal with and honestly tried to do anything to accommodate my needs.
The rooms are clean, and spacious, extra blankets in the chest by the flat screen TV. The AC will run you out of the room if that is what you want. I never had any issue with the internet, and they have a business center by the lobby with computers, copier, and fax machine for guest use. The location of the hotel is wonderful. There are all kinds of restaurants Everything from Wendy’s to Red Lobster, Panera Bread, a sub shop, and many many more) within view of the parking lot. The Quaker steak and lube is practically in the parking lot, and they have happy hour every evening. If you are not interested in that, chuckie cheese is literally a few steps away from the hotel, as is toys r us.
Wednesday night, from 530-7 is the manager's reception, during which the hotels offers complementary beverages (several different wines, and yingling on tap) to your heart’s desire, and have free food at the same time. It is nice to talk to fellow travelers, and they never let your cup go empty.
The breakfast buffet is always well stocked, and the staff works their butts off to make sure there is anything you might want. They always have some type of egg (different types of omelets, or scrambled) and a meat offering. They offer oatmeal, wonderfully addictive cinnamon rolls, a waffle machine, fruit, different breads, cereals, OJ, and apple juice. I cannot say what they have on the weekends, as I always stayed Sunday evening- Thursday.
The pool, whirlpool, and fitness equipment are always clean and available. I have never seen anyone else in any of them, though this might be different on the weekends. There are plenty of huge towels, by the pool, and in the room.
Last but not least, every evening there are free freshly baked cookies, and a snack (usually stuff for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches) Several different types of hot tea and hot coffee available 24/7.
The last week I stayed there, I received an invitation to fill out a survey for the hotel. I did so, stating the only problem I have ever had at the hotel was that that week the soda machine that offers free soda 24/7 in the lobby was out of order. It was not really a huge problem, but I like the large cups they leave out. The manager left a hand written card for me with several pieces of candy, and a plastic Hampton Inn cup in my room on my next stay. He also went out of his way to speak to me the next time he saw me and apologize personally the machine was out, and explained why.
All of this stuff is great, but the real reason I love this hotel is the BED!! The bed and pillows at this hotel is unforgettable. Every morning I had to force myself out of the bed.

Room Tip: Sixth floor is smoking. I do not smoke, but my husband does, so I stayed in them several times. They...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Melissa W
HamptonCharlestonMGR, Admin Staff at Hampton Inn Charleston - Southridge, responded to this review, December 27, 2011
Thank you so much for that kind review! We appreciate our guests and try do our best to offer them all the amenities they expect from us. We’re glad you enjoyed meeting our new Manager, Michael and are glad felt well taken care of by the management and staff. We’re also glad you love our signature bedding and that it gave you a comfortable night’s rest.
Morgantown, WV
Reviewed December 5, 2011

I have stayed in the hotel 4-5 times. It is clean and the staff are helpful. This hotel is located 4-5 miles from downtown Charleston, so people should be aware of that in case they need to be downtown, or, don't have a car. If you insist on a smoke-free room there have been times when I had to go elsewhere because they only had smoking rooms left. I left a message for the manager to complain and suggest they go smoke free, but never received a return call.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
HamptonCharlestonMGR, Admin Staff at Hampton Inn Charleston - Southridge, responded to this review, December 28, 2011
Thank you so much for the nice review! Our staff works hard to keep the hotel fresh and our guests comfortable. We are located just south of Charleston and we do offer a free Shuttle Service to points around the area, including the Airport and downtown as well. We try to accommodate all of our guests and hope to see you again in the future.
Reviewed November 1, 2011

The rooms are spacious and clean. Lobby is clean and modern. The pool and hot tub are modern and clean. Staff was friendly. Breakfast was plentiful and fresh. All and all just a nice hotel and a great place to stay.

• Stayed October 2011
Thanks for the review! We appreciate our staff and are pleased that they gave you a great stay. We’re also glad to see that you liked the daily hot breakfast, and consider us a “nice” hotel. Thank you so much for the kinds words. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
DC
Reviewed October 17, 2011

I strayed here for 2 days while working in South Charleston. Nice Hotel. Has a decent gym with eliptical machines. Free soda fountain was nice. Location is near lots of restaurant choices and you can walk to Panera.. Hotel/rooms were quiet. I didnt have any noise issues.

Room Tip: always ask to be away from the elavators
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank cheedog
Thank you for the kind review! We’re pleased you enjoyed the new fitness center and that our location offers so many dining options to our guests. We would love to see you when you come through again!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2011

checked in....nice friendly staff...a noisy fridge in the room...so they came and disconnected it... it was late and didnt fancy moving rooms so we put up with the really noisy hum of the elevator shaft near our room...complained in the morning....and they didnt act suprised i.e. they had this complaint before....and I left it to their discretion to offer a discount....which they did...as we were about to leave the fire alarm went off....no words of explaination....and the elevators went out....still no words of advice ...so we had to drag our bags down the back stairs.....Ive complained to Hampton Inns and still await compensation

Room Tip: if there's a loud hum in your room you know you're near the elevator
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BobClifford
We’re so sorry for all the problems with your stay and are also sorry that we were not able to give you the perfect stay you wanted. If there’s anything we can do to make up for it and show you that we truly try to give each guest the best stay possible, please contact us and let us know.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 6, 2011

This hotel is our preferred location in Charleston, and I have never been disappointed or treated poorly. They have always gone above and beyond to acommodate any requests, and take pride and a genuine interest in the quality of your stay. Thank you Hampton Southridge for yet another great stay!

Room Tip: Try to stay away from the 6th floor if you have a sensitvity to the smell of cigarette smoke.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for the review and thank you for coming back. We hope to always give each customer great service and are pleased to hear that we’ve done so. We look forward to giving you a great stay each time and will look forward to your future visits!