“Nice Place”

Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Columbus
“Nice Place”
Reviewed May 26, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for a quick overnight enroute to another destination. This level of hotel really doesn’t need a lot of review outside of cleanliness, comfort and hospitality of the staff.

On the cleanliness front, the common areas of the hotel and our room – a king on the first floor – were very clean and well maintained. There were no areas that gave us any concern.

Overall, the room was comfortable. It had a desk area with an attached enclosed closet that worked nicely as a way to economize space. The room was medium to smaller sized, but at this level of hotel, that’s to be expected. The only comfort aspect that I would mention is that the bed was somewhat lumpy and dipped in the middle. In the morning, both my wife and I mentioned that we both kept rolling towards the middle throughout the night.

During check-in, and at the complimentary breakfast the next morning, all staff of the hotel were very nice and accommodating.

The breakfast was typical “complimentary” fare…coffee, juices, bread and bagels, cereals, oatmeal, with hot options of pre-made omelets and sausage patties. You could also make your own waffles. Overall, good enough to get you started in the morning.

Outside of the comfort of the bed, which may have just been luck of the draw for us, I would recommend this hotel if you need a place to stay in downtown Charleston.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Missouri
Reviewed May 23, 2012

As always, Hampton Inn's are a great place to stay with consistently quality beds and clean rooms. The service was great, the free wi-fi was very handy considering I was doing a lot of business related work while I was on my working-vacation. The breakfast was wonderful with plenty of choices and excellent service. This location is just a block away from the Civic Center and the Town Center Mall and the Boulevard of Kanawha River. This also happened to be the Charlie West Blues and BBQ Festival so we could walk to the attractions with no problem.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
PA
Reviewed May 20, 2012

My colleague and I stayed here not knowing what to expect. We were delighted about our decision to stay at the Hampton Inn Charleston. The staff was wonderful. Deborah at the front desk was lovely. Roy, the shuttle driver, was the nicest and most accommodating. The rooms were nice and clean. The breakfast was wonderful, not your standard continental breakfast by any means. It was a true southern experience. If I return to the city, I'm staying here!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Barnesville, Ohio
Reviewed April 29, 2012

As always, the Hampton Inn provides fresh clean linens for each guest (yes, they wash the duvet!), along with hot breakfast every morning. The bed was comfortable, flat screen TV, impeccably clean bathroom. Coffemaker, iron, and toiletries available in room. USA today at your threshold. I always try to stay at this chain wherever I go- not because it's glitzy, but because it's reasonably priced, clean, and you ALWAYS know what you're going to get. What I want to highlight about this trip: the hotel is located near a bridge/freeway, which does create some noise. As a light sleeper, my first night here was a little difficult. I politely asked (knowing they were fully booked for a conference), if they had any chance to move me, could I get a room away from the freeway. Without hesitation, they accomodated me to the best of their ability, apologized for the inconvenience (which wasn't needed- it's not their fault), and offered to move my belongings for me. This customer service is why I will return year after year.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, ask for a room at the back of the hotel toward the river. Pool was c...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 20, 2012

My husband and I came to the Hampton Inn because of my friends wedding and it just happened to be where everyone else was staying. I was hesitant about what I was going to find after reading some of the reviews, but I was pleasantly surprised. Upon arrival and check-in, the manager was there and helped me check in. After finding out that I had a large load to carry in (I was making the wedding cake and needed to bring a lot of stuff with me for finishing touches the next day), she quickly allowed me to change my room to the first floor right near an exit door. The room itself was very clean, the bed was comfortable, the bathroom stocked with everything we needed. There was adequate space for me to store all of the cake supplies without taking up the entire room. The pull out desk was a great help and allowed me space to work on some finishing touches and do some work.

Throughout our stay we took advantage of the free breakfast provided in the lobby (which was nicely decorated and clean). The breakfasts were great and the staff was very helpful and quick to replenish food as needed.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room with king bed. It also had a mini refrigerator and microwave which was a very ni...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Newsgirl415
Los Angeles
Reviewed April 12, 2012

This Hampton Inn is a nice place to stay with one unfortunate exception: its location. The hotel is situated right next to a major highway. I felt tensed up from the constant whoosh of the passing cars and trucks. If highway noise doesn't bother you, then this hotel is nice enough. It has a friendly staff and the rooms are pleasant.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Suzy B
amandafsmithson
Reviewed March 28, 2012

I stay at Hamptons a lot when I travel and this one is just what you would expect. Good staff good rooms good lobby. Not the Ritz, of course. location is a little tough to get to (between interstate and river with one way streets) but it is close enough to the water to make for good morning runs.

• Stayed March 2012