“Good, basic room”

Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Raleigh, NC
“Good, basic room”
Reviewed July 3, 2011

Charleston is the halfway point between Cleveland OH and Raleigh NC so we tend to stop when going to visit family. The hotel is right by the highway & close to Town Center Mall. It's basic, but clean. The staff is incredibly kind - even giving us a 5th floor room at the request of my son. The pool was clean and well maintained. Breakfast is basic Hampton Inn fare. My son loved the DIY waffles.

• Stayed July 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Schaumburg, IL
Reviewed June 23, 2011

When we discovered that Charleston, WV was halfway between our home and our vacation destination in the OBX, we decided to break our drive in equal parts, going and coming, and stay at this Hampton. However, after we spent one night here on our way to NC, we canceled our second reservation. Of all the Hamptons I've stayed in (and I've stayed in dozens) this was probably the worst. I was disappointed to find the hotel situated in an unattractive and rather seedy neighborhood, but I was even more disappointed to find the front desk staff unfriendly and unprofessional. They seemed so irritated by us checking in, and thereby interrupting their personal gossip session, that they gave us the silent treatment and merely held out our keys at arm's length without a word. (I will admit that the morning desk behaved better.) The room was adequate, but nothing more, and we had to keep the drapes tightly closed to avoid the view. I have to say it was quiet, which was nice. It could be our imagination, but the beds didn't seem as comfortable as the ones we usually get. My husband hardly slept at all. Hampton breakfasts are never too exciting. The consolation is that they are free. This particular breakfast was poor even by Hampton standards. It actually made me depressed. We were just passing through town, and didn't need much from a hotel, but this Hampton failed to meet our most basic expectations, and I'm glad we stayed elsewhere on our ride home.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Mary60193
jackson, mo
Reviewed April 21, 2011

My family and I were traveling due to a death in the family and we were looking for a quiet pleasant place to stay for 3 nights. Since we have always had good experiences with Hampton Inn we chose this one.As usual, this Hampton Inn was spotlessly clean, the service was great and the free breakfast was delicious. We thought $128.00 a night was a bit steep, so my dad asked if the management could give him a deal. They said yes and lowered the price by twelve dollars per night. Overall I was very happy with my stay and I would like to thank Hampton Inn for making our stay pleasant during such an unpleasant time.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Abington, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 20, 2011

This motel was somewhat dumpy. The bed was OK, but the rest of the room was overdue for upholstery cleaning, and there was a split seam in the top of the Ottoman. The apparently bent temperature probe for the HVAC unit stuck out into the room posing a tripping hazard. The window which looked out over a parking lot and Dennys' restaurant was covered only by an accordion shade. There were no curtains to block the outside lights from coming in around the sides at night, and no shear scrim to let in light during the day without becoming a show for all on-lookers. The small bathroom was well laid out, but lost its advantage when the coffee maker was stuck in there taking up all the space on the counter by the sink, and sharing an outlet with the night light and the hair dryer, which were really too close to the water for my comfort. The toilet flushed badly - always needed to flush twice and hold down the handle. The "business center" was two computers on a counter crammed into a small area next to the reception desk. The evening clerk was polite, but apparently new and seemed shy and uncertain. The morning clerk was polite, but didn’t apologize when I told her about the things that needed fixing, and seemed surprised that I would even bother reporting them since I was leaving. The location was very close to the interstate, but inconvenient for driving around town. There was a van and driver, but it seemed he only wanted to take us to the mall for dinner (and collect a tip) so we had to press him to get directions to a good place to eat nearby.

I would really like to be able to give a rating better than “poor,” but not so good as “average.” I would also like the option of giving a “recommend maybe,” as it wasn’t bad enough for a “not recommended,” but if I return to Charleston, I would probably stay somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Berea, Kentucky
Reviewed March 12, 2011

I've stayed here twice with my wife, and both visits were highly satisfying. Our room was spacious, clean, and comfortable, and everything worked. The staff cheerfully accomodated a special request on our most recent visit. If you're looking for a downtown hotel location in Charleston, try staying here. I don't think you'll be sorry.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Eustorgio
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed February 15, 2011

I was a little apprehensive when I booked because this Hampton has received mixed reviews. But....I was very pleased once I saw my room. It is not a new hotel, but the room was decorated nicely and had a large flat-screen TV. The bed was super comfy. There was a little noise from the highway, but not overbearing. The hotel also offers a free shuttle to the nearby mall and restaurants, so once you park at the hotel...you can go to dinner and unwind with a couple of drinks without worrying about getting a taxi or driving. Overall....a nice Hampton Inn.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank hilburno
Ohio
Reviewed February 12, 2011

The Hampton Inn Charleston Downtown is, as the name says, it is right in downtown Charleston WV. Free parking is provided for guests at the muti-storied hotel with an indoor pool and whirpool and lobby breakfast area, decorated to Hampton Inn standards with local photographs. The pool was undergoing repairs at the time of the stay.

This was my first HiltonHHonors stay and the check in process was more over the top than I've experienced at competing hotel operators and strange as extras were guaranteed to a HiltonHHonors credit card. The clerk later called to apologize as she was new on the job.

The room was tastefully furnished in Hampton quality furniture and had been renovated within a recent time period. The king bed was exceptionally comfortable to Hilton standards and there were several pillow types to choose from. Standard Hampton toiletries were available and the towels were soft. This hotel room had a full wall that contained a roll around desk and armoire and while the mobile desk could be a convenience, the choice of ottoman or upholstered chair for seating at the desk might be a problem for one needing to do a business day's work in the room as opposed to a standard office chair.

The room was quiet although close to the freeway and in the downtown area. Everything was clean and no other problems were encountered. Breakfast was Hampton standard with two hot items as well as cereal, yogurt and fruit items.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business