“Great value stopover”

Residence Inn Charleston
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed May 29, 2010

A very well equipped hotel with extra large rooms that allow you to be completely self contained if you wish. You quickly got the feeling that the staff would do anything to make your stay more pleasant. On asking where to eat dinner, we were immediately offered a sheet of local restaurants and a sheet of delivery phone numbers along with a helpful commentary by the desk clerk. Rooms are very clean and well designed. If only the mattress hadn't been filled with marshmallows we would rate the experience higher.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed December 30, 2009

Was 'forced' to stay here just before the snowstorm that closed down the highways heading south on the Turnpike. All hotels were booked due to the weather conditions...we did not plan to stop here, but had been forced back after the highway staff at the Turnpike told us it was too dangerous to travel at night. Power outages in the area also forced the opening of a Red Cross shelter for those who could not get a room to stay the night (as opposed to staying in their cars, which happened for many people at this time!!!).

While we did not have a reservation, and all hotels in the area were completely FULL, the staff were nice enough to let us use the lobby PC to search for possible accommodations in nearby (1hr west) Huntington...but by the time we located a hotel in Huntington, the Residence Inn staff scrambled around to find a way to open up a 2 bedroom suite for us (we were two travelling families) and they did not try to overcharge us, in our desperate need for accommodations ($120 for the nite!).

The rooms and beds were about on par with other Residence Inns I'd stayed in recently...not the newest or lushest, but decent. Yes, the beds were not super comfy, and a bit on the sitff/hard side, but we could not complain. The breakfast was pretty good, with scrambled eggs, pork sausages, waffle irons. The internet in the room was via cable connection, and was reliably fast.

Though the hotel is pet-friendly, we did not notice any pet odours in our room. Have to say it was a very well-received stay on our part, and in large part due to the courteous and helpful staff, particularly during this minor-emergency time period.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank TravellingPuckhead
Reviewed December 19, 2009

The one thing we need to do when we travel is sleep well. It's hard to do here, with worn out mattresses that were cheap to begin with. We used the extra pillows to try and keep from rolling into the middle all night.

We also concur with another review here that their idea of clean doesn't match ours. The living room furniture had obvious uncleaned spills. The carpets were vacuumed in the middle, with visible dust buildup around the furniture and the wall base.

Need to use the bathroom quietly in the middle of the night? Not here, unless you're good at feeling your way in the dark. Turn on the bright light, and the fan kicks on - it sounds like a locomotive.

This is a decent property in a convenient location. Marriot Corporate needs to pay them a visit.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 26, 2009

Hotel grounds were very open with a lot of land area to walk my dog. The hotel staff was very friendly and professional. Hotel is dog friendly. Room was very clean and very quiet. During the week (check the days with desk) they serve what they call snacks but it was hamburgers, salads, chips, etc and very good and fressh. The morning was breakfast and more than continental - scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, potaotoes etc. I definently recommend this hotel for travelers.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed August 25, 2009

I stayed at this property during the months of June/July 2009 with colleagues on a fairly lengthy project. The property itself is nice, the rooms are good and the desk staff is very friendly.Their internet service may be free but it has major problems. If the internet provider receives complaints about slow internet service from other guests (because you are streaming videos or music or whatever) they will boot you off and have your access blocked. Two of my colleagues and I discovered this nasty surprise on separate weekends. I complained to the front desk because it does not say anywhere that your internet bandwidth usage is being monitored but it is. When I talked with the ISP they had me promise I would not stream anything else or they would block me for remainder of my stay. The front desk didn't do anything when I complained so I was not happy. Some colleagues also had issues with the cleaning staff not doing a good job but I found my room to be done well every day. This hotel is not near downtown but in a business park near the airport so you will have to drive a bit to find food, stores, gas etc. Overall I liked the property itself but with the issues I encountered it left a bit of a sour taste.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 23, 2009

We stayed in the Charleston, WV Residence Inn on our way back to Ohio from South Carolina. Since we are very particular about hotels, even for a one night stay, I selected the Residence Inn based on the Marriott reputation and our experince with Marriott properties. Unfortunately, the Charleston, WV Residence Inn falls well below the standards we have come to expect from Marriott.

The customer service at this hotel is excellent. Everyone was friendly and helpful. We checked in easily to our one bedroom suite. The complimentary breakfast was good.

Mostly due to the lack of cleanliness, we will not return to the hotel. On the surface, the room looked fine. Upon closer inspection though, we found small bugs in the kitchen, a dirty refridgerator, microwave and toaster. The bathroom, bedroom and living room were clean.

Also, the suite needed upgrading. The TVs were the old big bulky style. They were also small, maybe 19 inches. The cook top in the kitchen was a two burner coil style. There was no oven. The upholstered furniture needed to be replaced. They furniture clearly had been covered with slip covers.

Finally, the walls are quite thin. My daughter had a hard time falling asleep due to the noice from other suites. The place smells like dog. I think a lot of pets have stayed there in the past.

We stayed for several days in a two bedroom suite at the Residence Inn in Cincinnati and were very pleased with that property. I don't understand why there is such variation in quality.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 9, 2009

It seems like every hotel with a continental breakfast is just filled with children spilling their food. This one seems no exception. As a long-term hotel, it's awesome. It has food every night - bbqs and baked potato bars. How fantastic if you don't want to eat out or cook.

The rooms are very nice here. And the staff seems wonderful. But our room smelled of garlic from the last occupant. Gross. Plus, it's really kinda far from everything - I'm going to try downtown next stay. I liked it well enough, but not enough to find any loyalty in my heart.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business