“Very Nice Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Saint Simons Island, Georgia
“Very Nice Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

We stayed here because it was close to Linda's class reunion. Easy to get to and good (free) parking. The morning breakfast is very good and fresh. The room was better than expected with a dishwasher, nice size refrigerator, and all the supplies that you need. Good TV, bed, and couch. Will stay there again when we return to Charleston.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jeff W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

Travelling with 3 teenagers is difficult - it's hard to find hotels that can accommodate us all comfortably in one room. This Residence Inn was perfect for our needs - 2 separate bedrooms with a queen bed in each and a pull-out couch. The hotel was very clean and the beds were comfortable. Many restaurants within a 5-10 minute drive. Nice outdoor pool. They even have a basketball court and will let guests borrow a basketball from the front desk. The breakfast that is included is quite satisfactory and should have something to satisfy everyone from cereal to waffles to bagels to a couple of hot items. We only stayed one night on our drive home from a beach vacation, but we would certainly go back.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Gusphinney
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

I picked this hotel for my boyfriend's birthday weekend and I was pretty satisfied with my choice. The hotel was very nice and clean despite going under some exterior renovations. We had a suite which was gorgeously decorated with bright patterns and textures. The hotel had asked me online for requests such as extra towels and pillows which I said "yes" to, but when I checked in they just placed me in a room so these extra amenities were not there. The breakfast was delicious with many options to choose from, hot and cold. One thing that I was not happy about was the extra charge placed on my debit card which was not disclosed to me. The hotel has a small "market" in the lobby with snack foods, drinks, and the like which can be ordered and brought to your room. When I check my debit card account I noticed the bill was $40 more than my emailed receipt said it would be; when I asked about my bill being much higher than expected they told me it was an automatic charge added to everyone's bill in case they ordered something from the market. Since I did not order anything the $40 was refunded (3 days after checkout!) but I still thought it was ridiculous I was not notified at all that I would be charged this extra amount.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kristin M
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

I just stayed at this hotel last night. The hotel was nice and the staff was friendly. I was there for business and needed to get some work done in preparation for a customer meeting based on some information that was provided by a colleague just before I got there. The Internet connection, while free, was a complete joke. I ran an Internet speed test and the download speed was .18 and upload was .31 Mbps. I have never seen a connection so slow and it caused me to be awake until 4:00 AM. I tested my 3G connection from my iPad and it was 5.88/1.07. Not again.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Greg B, General Manager at Residence Inn Charleston, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Residence Inn in Charleston West Virginia. We are always interested in our guest comments and appreciate being made aware of their experiences.

We are very sorry that the internet was not performing as it should, and caused you to lose sleep. We always want our guests to be productive during their stay and have the ability to use the services that we offer. We also want them to have a relaxing stay which you did not.

We have since contacted the internet provider and they resolved the issue that was causing the bandwidth issue.

Thank you for your comments on the friendliness of our staff and for relaying your experience, they will be shared during our daily huddle with the entire staff.

Once again thank you for your comments and we hope that you will consider giving us another chance.

Greg
Findlay, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

Stayed there overnight when moving my daughter. Great front desk staff who were very pleasent and helpful. Room was very clean. The breakfast was pretty much typical but good.
A little off the beaten path. Stayed here because it was pet friendly and my daughters two dogs were with us. The room price was goo but the dog cleaning fee of $100 was a bit high sibce other hotels in area were about $40. Definitely would stay there again but with pets?????

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Naples, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

This Residence Inn is just off the interstate, tucked away in a corporate area. We almost thought we were in the wrong location. There are no restaurants or stores close by, which disappointed us at first, but downtown Charleston is only minutes away. Our first impression was not particularly good. As we entered the building there were 2 women (staff) seated on the ground by the entrance, smoking. We had made a reservation weeks before, but there were few rooms left, and none with a view of the beautiful WV mountains. There are no king beds, all single queens. But, our room was clean and seemed to be updated with relatively new furniture and nice linens. We had no issues with our room and spent a very quiet night. Breakfast was great. Besides the usual fare, there were scrambled eggs, sausage, potatoes, waffles, etc. The woman who oversaw the breakfast room was very helpful and kept all items filled and ready for guests. There is a little selection of food items in a pantry for sale which included frozen meals, snacks, drinks and even wine and beer. Overall, a nice experience and staff friendly.

Room Tip: When making a reservation, ask for a room with a view.