“Repeat Business Traveler - NEVER AGAIN”

Days Inn Charleston East
Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed June 15, 2010

I stay in South Charleston for business 3 to 10 nights every month. Over a 5-year period I frequently stayed at this place because the other hotels/motels in the area were either dumps or just too expensive. But I have had my fill with the incompetent management of this place. I stayed at this place dozens of times and they managed to totally screw up something every single time. They NEVER got my reservation right, not once. Most commonly they woke me up to inform me that I was over-staying and had to check out -- despite the fact that I had already paid them for 1 or 2 or 3 more days of lodging. The breakfast is utterly terrible. The rooms are just "okay." The management is INCOMPETENT. This place just isn't worth the hassle. For a motel in the same area and in a similar price range, try the Red Roof Inn just a 1/4-mile down the road.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed June 6, 2010

We were on a 7 day trip with stops at 4 separate hotels. Some were planned - others we selected once we got to town This was the best of any of them in this rate category - $60 - $80/night. The desk attendant was courteous, and gave us a good rate without a reservation. Our room was clean and fresh. The bed was comfortable and many ammenities were provided including an iron and ironing board, hair dryer, coffee maker - noting these because in some of the other hotels, they weren't in the room, but were available at the front desk. This room also had a sofa, coffee table, microwave, refrigerator, and a rolling desk chair, and free wifi. There's an outdoor pool that looks very nice but it was too cool outside for us to use it. The walls may be thin. No one was right by us but I could hear doors closing and people as they passed through the hallway outside our room.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2010

just to sleep-- woke up to lots of snow- was like any other days inn-- quieter maybe

Stayed: January 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed November 22, 2009

Stopped to overnight on a long trip home...tricky to get to due to ramps from 77north...value priced ($66 on a Sat. night), courteous service, decent continental breakfast...surprised room had a microwave and frig :) ...my main concern is always cleaniness, and this motel / room was clean :) Resturants, fuel, etc close by.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2009

This hotel is definately the best value in Charleston. Comfortable beds, Clean, every time I visit there in something else they have added that is new. The staff is very friendly and manager Tim is very involved and professional. Any problems I have ever had which are few were taken care of swiftly. We visit here about 1x per month and wouldn't stay anywhere else. Its right on the river, quiet, and comfortable. There is a McDonalds, IHOP, Texas Steakhouse and 2 gas stations within walking distance. Its surrounding area isnt the most atttractive area but the hotel is really great for a budget hotel and the price is very reasonable.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2009

We checked into this motel with the expectation of getting our "reward"- in other words, something rather nice in exchange for having participated in Wyndham's point program, and having frequented their hotel/motel chain. Well, I was suprised alright, just not in as pleasant a way as I would have liked. The carpeting and the walls are old- you can tell by looking at them the carpets are at least 20 years old. A fresh coat of paint and new flooring would greatly improve this place. The maids in the hallway cleaning can be heard clearly, they tend to leave trash laying on the floor behind their cart as well. The television seems to have volume problems on certain channels, (such as HBO) even all the way up it is still not very loud. Water running and being turned off in the next room (or across the hall) can be heard clearly. There is no alarm clock in the room as stated was in all rooms.
On the good side, there is a view of the river out of our third floor room, the air conditioner works, the room appeared fairly clean, (could have used a few touch ups, but nothing drastic. The front desk clerk who checked us in was fairly accomodating when we arrived early, and I explained that the Wyndham Rewards site had incorrectly interpreted my request for a smoking room, (as well as continuously giving me the wrong dates by the time I had reached the checkout page- causing me to have to cancel the first reservation and redo it- a very time consuming process), the clerk got us into a smoking room as I'd requested without having to wait until 2 pm or later until the other rooms were cleaned. Having been on the road since very early, waiting once we arrived was not a pleasant prospect, and I appreciated her getting us in.
Overhall, the shape of this hotel is not at all what one would expect from the motel webpage, nor is it what one would expect to get as your 'reward' from Wyndham for having been a paying guest for so many years at their various motels in the chain as we have. Overall, I am disappointed, to say the least. I see why it is a 'tier 1'. Wyndham Rewards should be ashamed of themselves. They should try to improve their properties, or lower their rates. I didn't have much of a choice as to where to pick my free night, given the route that we had to take, and Wyndham's point scale. I am not happy with them, moreso than I am not happy with the motel.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 10, 2009

It was late, dark and I was tired. So I went on reputation alone and chose this hotel. Bad choice! The girl at the desk was rude. No "Welcome to Days Inn" or "How may I help you?" I inquired about a room for me and my 13 year old son, non smoking, and the next thing she said was, "I need your ID." OK. So I put up with her non smiling, non friendly attitude and got a room. It was a non smoking room, alright, but as soon as we got off the filthy elevator, we could smell cigarette smoke. We get into the room and the first thing I was was an ashtray. But since the room didn't smell, we didn't complain. Basically the beds were OK and the bathroom was clean. The ice machine on our floor didn't work and we had to go down to the first floor for ice. The next morning, I started the coffee maker and the on/off switch had a short and it sparked before working. The continental breakfast (no eggs, sausage, etc) was OK but you had to walk across the parking lot to the front desk building to get there. Good thing it wasn't pouring rain out!
DO NOT STAY HERE! It is not worth the $75 we had to pay.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family