“NOT Wheelchair Accessible Rooms”

Days Inn Charleston East
Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Detroit
“NOT Wheelchair Accessible Rooms”
Reviewed January 7, 2009

Called personally and asked about Wheelchair Accessible Rooms. I was assured they were accessible with a large bathroom & roll in shower. Good thing I had my husband and not my female nurse. In order to get in we had to put all the furniture that could be moved onto the 2nd bed. The beds were way to high to transfer back from my shower chair. I'm fortunate to have a w/c w/ the up/down control. The toilet came out to the middle of the bathroom, so you couldn't get under the vanity to the sink to brush teeth, wash face, hands etc. The door, when opened, was a few inches from the toilet, so I had to be put into the shower to shut the bathroom door. The shower was very small. There was less than an inch to spare to get by toilet to get into the shower. Had to pick up the shower chair with me in it, to get it sideways, then it did not fit. 1/2 the chair stuck out. After the shower, there was at least 2 to 3 inches of water on the floor. We put back the furniture so the maid would not get stuck doing it. The only good thing is they did not charge us more money for checking out 15 min. late. I would of paid double to not have gone through all this trouble. If I was alone, I would have been looking for a new room at 11:30pm. The room was a real nightmare! Makes a paraplegic afraid to travel.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — It was not wheelchair accessible although it was advertised as & I was told it was
  • Stayed January 2009
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
cHarlotte
Reviewed December 29, 2008

Have stayed at other Days Inn properties, but this one is really sub-standard. Made it clear in the reservation comments that we needed a handicap King with a sleeper sofa or rollaway. Arrived at 12:15am after driving 13 hrs. Asked about the sleeper when I checked in and was told "No problem. It has the sleeper sofa, but I can wake someone up and get you a rollaway". Got to the room - no sofa at all, lock on the entrance door to building had been vandalized so anyone could walk inside. It smelled like sweat & cigarette smoke and it was grimy. Called the front desk about no sofa, but was told the maintenance man had gone home and no one else had the key to where the rollaways were kept! Offered us a regular room w/ 2 double beds or we could stay where we were. After some words, the 'manager' appeared with a rollaway that had dirty sheets and a matteress with 2 springs ready to poke through. The bathroom only had one set of towels and I would have to go back to the front desk if I wanted enough for the 3 of us.
At this point, I just slept with my clothes on and realized many of the other reviews I'd read were not glowing for a good reason. Next morning we were so pleasantly surprised to find the bathroom door wouldn't stay closed and the shower floor was slanted away from the floor drain so much of the water ran out into the bathroom, soaking anything on the floor.

• Liked — water pressure, pleanty of hot water
  • Disliked — just about everything else
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
NW Ohio
Reviewed December 22, 2008

While travelling to FL, needed a place for the night for 5. Stopped and found this right off I-77. Lots of construction workers stay there during the week it seems, but never saw or heard them. Outdoor pool, so didn't use....

Room - large with 2 beds and pull-out sofa - great for our 5th person! Very clean. Complete with microwave and mini frig. Very quiet - right on the river with nice view of it.

Breakfast - construction in lobby, but continental breakfast was good. Fruits, cereal, pastries, juices and coffee.

Overall good - recommend for someone passing thru. Lots of restaurants close by too....

• Liked — Room fit all 5 of us!
  • Disliked — ?
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Indiana
Reviewed November 29, 2008

When we stayed here over night during Thanksgiving week 2008 the hotel was undergoing major renovation. The room we were in seemed completely new. The mattresses were brand new and some of the best I slept on. The bathroom was also completely remodeled. The room also seemed to be slightly larger than other similar rooms I have stayed in.

The staff was very helpful. The breakfast was plentiful and someone was always there to get items that might have run out.

We found a coupon in a magazine at a rest stop that saved us $10. We paid $54 which seemed to be a true deal for hotels along the 65/77 corridor.

The only downside was that the wireless internet was not working yet in the building we were in. It worked fine from the hotel lobby.

• Stayed November 2008
Lancaster, PA
Reviewed September 7, 2008

Yes it's 3 times gross for emphasis. We went for a funeral in WV, and this one was the cheapest I could find at $75 per night I think.

First of all the girl that took my reservation was very short and not pleasant...so I had a bad feeling even in the beginning.
The guy who checked us in was nice, but not really lively.

When we got there, all these construction guys were there, the hallways smelled like smoke...even-though our room was supposedly non-smoking.

The beds were hard and it had a funky smell in the room. We were very close to leave the hotel at 11pm to get something new and better. But we had 4 kids with us and 4 adults, so we stayed the night.
I didn't even wanted to take my socks off, not even in the bathroom...I was just urked by the whole experience.
And the free breakfast was very sad, mini muffins, coffee, juice, and an outdoor pool.

The next day after the funeral, we went across the street to Comfort inn we got a funeral special of $89 per night...indoor pool, hot tub, awesome breakfast and really nice people. The room smelled wonderful, the beds were soft, nice bathroom.

So overall...DO NOT STAY AT DAYS INN, pay extra and stay at Comfort Inn & Suites

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed March 11, 2008

This was a repeat visit to the Days Inn in Charleston as we were satisfied with our stay a year ago.

But this time, a couple of little things irked us. First of all, when we returned to our room late one evening the key card did not work so we could not even enter our building. We did manage to get someone to let us in. Predictably, the card did not work when we tried to enter our rooms.

I called the front desk from my cell phone to express my dismay. The woman there said I probably ran the card up against my cell phone or a credit card. I told her I had my card in my coat pocket and my cell phone and wallet in a backpack. Nonetheless, I got no apology.

By the way, my wife's card also did not work. My two kids each had a card for their room and it did not work. We knew another couple in the hotel and their two card keys also did not work. Somebody messed up and it was not us.

The clerk said someone would brings us over new cards. We waited and waited. Finally my wife had to go to the front desk to get new cards.

Then there was the safe rip-off. They want to charge you $1.50 a day per room for a safe charge. But there is a little sign on the safe saying you can request a refund at checkout. We did not use the safe in either room, so I asked for the refund. I got the refund, but instead of it being a deduction of two rooms for two nights at $6.00, the clerk deducted only $4.50.

I noticed the difference sitting in the car and I just said I was tired of dealing with them and was not going back in to fight over $1.50.

On the positive side, the rooms were nice and big. Beds comfortable and my wife loved the pillows. TV worked fine and had lots of channels. Nice chair to sit in too. Bathroom was spacious with a great shower. Room came with microwave, small fridge, and coffee maker with coffee and fixings.

Free continental breakfast was adequate. There were bagels, toast, cereal, sweet rolls, cookies, juices, coffee, tea -- that sort of thing.

Making the reservations, we asked for three rooms in a row for us, our kids and my wife's parents -- and we got them.

I like this hotel, except for the fact the front desk people messed us up a couple of times.

• Liked — Nice rooms and bathroom, it was near where we wanted to be, free breakfast
  • Disliked — Front desk staff
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
Indianapolis
Reviewed October 17, 2007

I'm pretty easy to please -- clean and a reasonable price, but this place smelled like ground-in filth, cigarettes, and sweat. The room itself was okay -- not the worst I've ever been in, but smelled like it had once been a smoking room. The hallway was simply disgusting. There were some obvious safety issues, like loose outlets. The continental breakfast was old stale danishes. There tended to be a lot of construction type guys staying there, who swore profusely in the breakfast area around our little children. For $78 (including tax) it was a very poor value, probably a good $25 too much. Even if it sounds like something you can stand for a night, it's too expensive for the dirt you have to deal with.

• Stayed October 2007