“pleasantly surprised...”

Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
NW Ohio
“pleasantly surprised...”
Reviewed December 22, 2008

While travelling to FL, needed a place for the night for 5. Stopped and found this right off I-77. Lots of construction workers stay there during the week it seems, but never saw or heard them. Outdoor pool, so didn't use....

Room - large with 2 beds and pull-out sofa - great for our 5th person! Very clean. Complete with microwave and mini frig. Very quiet - right on the river with nice view of it.

Breakfast - construction in lobby, but continental breakfast was good. Fruits, cereal, pastries, juices and coffee.

Overall good - recommend for someone passing thru. Lots of restaurants close by too....

• Liked — Room fit all 5 of us!
  • Disliked — ?
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Indiana
Reviewed November 29, 2008

When we stayed here over night during Thanksgiving week 2008 the hotel was undergoing major renovation. The room we were in seemed completely new. The mattresses were brand new and some of the best I slept on. The bathroom was also completely remodeled. The room also seemed to be slightly larger than other similar rooms I have stayed in.

The staff was very helpful. The breakfast was plentiful and someone was always there to get items that might have run out.

We found a coupon in a magazine at a rest stop that saved us $10. We paid $54 which seemed to be a true deal for hotels along the 65/77 corridor.

The only downside was that the wireless internet was not working yet in the building we were in. It worked fine from the hotel lobby.

• Stayed November 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lancaster, PA
Reviewed September 7, 2008

Yes it's 3 times gross for emphasis. We went for a funeral in WV, and this one was the cheapest I could find at $75 per night I think.

First of all the girl that took my reservation was very short and not pleasant...so I had a bad feeling even in the beginning.
The guy who checked us in was nice, but not really lively.

When we got there, all these construction guys were there, the hallways smelled like smoke...even-though our room was supposedly non-smoking.

The beds were hard and it had a funky smell in the room. We were very close to leave the hotel at 11pm to get something new and better. But we had 4 kids with us and 4 adults, so we stayed the night.
I didn't even wanted to take my socks off, not even in the bathroom...I was just urked by the whole experience.
And the free breakfast was very sad, mini muffins, coffee, juice, and an outdoor pool.

The next day after the funeral, we went across the street to Comfort inn we got a funeral special of $89 per night...indoor pool, hot tub, awesome breakfast and really nice people. The room smelled wonderful, the beds were soft, nice bathroom.

So overall...DO NOT STAY AT DAYS INN, pay extra and stay at Comfort Inn & Suites

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed March 11, 2008

This was a repeat visit to the Days Inn in Charleston as we were satisfied with our stay a year ago.

But this time, a couple of little things irked us. First of all, when we returned to our room late one evening the key card did not work so we could not even enter our building. We did manage to get someone to let us in. Predictably, the card did not work when we tried to enter our rooms.

I called the front desk from my cell phone to express my dismay. The woman there said I probably ran the card up against my cell phone or a credit card. I told her I had my card in my coat pocket and my cell phone and wallet in a backpack. Nonetheless, I got no apology.

By the way, my wife's card also did not work. My two kids each had a card for their room and it did not work. We knew another couple in the hotel and their two card keys also did not work. Somebody messed up and it was not us.

The clerk said someone would brings us over new cards. We waited and waited. Finally my wife had to go to the front desk to get new cards.

Then there was the safe rip-off. They want to charge you $1.50 a day per room for a safe charge. But there is a little sign on the safe saying you can request a refund at checkout. We did not use the safe in either room, so I asked for the refund. I got the refund, but instead of it being a deduction of two rooms for two nights at $6.00, the clerk deducted only $4.50.

I noticed the difference sitting in the car and I just said I was tired of dealing with them and was not going back in to fight over $1.50.

On the positive side, the rooms were nice and big. Beds comfortable and my wife loved the pillows. TV worked fine and had lots of channels. Nice chair to sit in too. Bathroom was spacious with a great shower. Room came with microwave, small fridge, and coffee maker with coffee and fixings.

Free continental breakfast was adequate. There were bagels, toast, cereal, sweet rolls, cookies, juices, coffee, tea -- that sort of thing.

Making the reservations, we asked for three rooms in a row for us, our kids and my wife's parents -- and we got them.

I like this hotel, except for the fact the front desk people messed us up a couple of times.

• Liked — Nice rooms and bathroom, it was near where we wanted to be, free breakfast
  • Disliked — Front desk staff
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
Indianapolis
Reviewed October 17, 2007

I'm pretty easy to please -- clean and a reasonable price, but this place smelled like ground-in filth, cigarettes, and sweat. The room itself was okay -- not the worst I've ever been in, but smelled like it had once been a smoking room. The hallway was simply disgusting. There were some obvious safety issues, like loose outlets. The continental breakfast was old stale danishes. There tended to be a lot of construction type guys staying there, who swore profusely in the breakfast area around our little children. For $78 (including tax) it was a very poor value, probably a good $25 too much. Even if it sounds like something you can stand for a night, it's too expensive for the dirt you have to deal with.

• Stayed October 2007
3 Thank HonkHonk
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 6, 2006

This is a nice hotel. Room was very clean. Lobby and hallway could have been cleaner. Very large room. Mine had a refrigerator w/ freezer compartment, microwave, loveseat. Very nice room. Breakfast was very good. Lots of choices and staff was there to assist w/ making toast, ect. We requested a new coffee pot be brought up to our room and one was brought immediately. Several great restaraunts are within walking distance, IHOP, Texas Star Steakhouse, Lonestar Steakhouse, Bob Evans, ect. Will definately stay here again !!

• Stayed May 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed January 19, 2006

My husband and I stayed here for two nights-- one night on the way to Florida and one night on the way back. The place looked a little scary from the outside, but the rooms were clean and quiet and the staff were friendly and accommodating. I wouldn't necessarily want to stay for an extended period of time (no real amenities, aside from cable TV-- and forget about the complimentary breakfast-- it sucks), but for one night in the midst of a long car trip, the rooms were clean and cheap.

• Stayed January 2006