“kanawha”

Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
morgantown MD
“kanawha”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

Had a slighty problem at check in with a young ganster lady .. Every thing was great after the manager handle the issue. A very sweet man in training for front desk met me a the car and apologized for the rude young women and offered to help with my luggage .. The room are clean and a great veiw of the kanawha river.. Will stay there again and the rest of the staff was absolutely the best ever.. Thanks again Days Inn. P.S. get rid of that thug in the front please never in my life have I ever experience a young lady dressed so urban casual and soo rude Sincerly , Your loyal customer

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Wellsburg, West Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

I work and live roughly three hours from Charleston and drove there this week (Monday, 9/10/12) for meetings. After a full day there, I attempted to check into the Days Inn but had problems with authorization of the business credit card I was using; I've been in this position for less than two months and it was my first use of the card. The young woman at the Days Inn was incredibly rude and condescending, even as I offered to obtain whatever documents she needed in order to use this credit card. I left there because of her atrocious attitude and went across the street to the Red Roof Inn.

I am so glad that I did; the front-desk staff members at the Red Roof Inn were so kind and willing to help. I explained the difficulties that I was having and offered -- just as I did at the Days Inn -- to obtain whatever documentation or authorization was necessary to use my business credit card. In contrast, they knew exactly what to do to resolve the problem and were extremely friendly and patient. After my experience at the Days Inn, I was afraid that I'd have to make a late-night drive back home (and I'm not a great driver in the dark). I am so appreciative of the help and wonderful customer service that I received, instead, at the competing property across the street.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank 203kate_wv
Martinsburg, West Virginia, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

My Mother was in Charleston Memorial Hospital in critical condition and I stayed at this particluar motel for 3 nights but had planned to stay for 4. It was close to the hospital, clean and most importantly I felt safe and that was my main cocnern because I was traveling alone. The first 3 nights were good. I was in a non-smoking room but the room did smell of smoke and the curtains had a small amount of mold due to the air conditioning. On the 4th day of my stay maintenance installed bath tubs in the rooms on both sides of me and the smell of epoxy was unbearable. I turned my A/C off and turned on the exhaust fan in the bathroom hoping the smell would be gone by the time I returned at 7:30 pm. Needless to say the smell of epoxy was 10 worse and my throat and eyes began burning immediately. This is were all my troubles began. I went to the front desk and asked to be moved to another room and was told by young lady that she could do nothing for me. I told her I would even go to a smoking room if I that helped and once again in a rude, condscending manner she said she could do nothing to help me because I had already been there for 3 days. I ask her what that had to do with anything and she stated because it does. I then asked for refund so I could go some where else and her answer was "nope". I then ask to speak with a manager and she said you will have to wait until tomorrow morning at 8:00 am. I then ask for a maintenance man and she stated he left at 3:00. I ask her what she would suggest I do and she said that was not her problem. Things were very emotional for me due to my Mother and then I had to deal with this little snot nosed person that treated me horrible. I asked her could she not show some compassion for my situation and she told me that was not her job. I ended up taking my things that reaked of epoxy and going to a cheap place up the road and came back promptly at 8:00 the next morning. Spoke with the General Manager who did show compassion but told me their was nothing he could do except give me a credit of $7.00 on my final bill. I told him I had never came across such poor customer service and I would almost pay him $75.00 more dollars to terminate her employment. Needless to say I will will stick to my Hampton Inns and never stay at another Days Inn ever. Even though the room was adequate the customer service was the worst I had ever encountered.

Room Tip: I stayed in building 3. It was supposed to be non-smoking but as stated before room and hallway smel...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Nicole H
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

We stayed for one night at the Days Inn Charleston East only because the motel in Ghent (near Beckley, WV) we had a reservation for was closed due to power outage. So we drove down the West Virginia Turnpike until we came across the next motel cluster, and there the first place we checked out happened to be the aforementioned Days Inn.

The young lady at the front desk stated that they were almost fully booked and the only rooms still available being their Jacuzzi Suites. Hesitatingly we agreed to take one for $120, partly because she pointed out that all motels in the area had the same situation, accommodating victims of the wide spread power outage as well as repair crews, but mainly because it was late in the day and we really needed to get our laundry done that same evening (no coin laundry on the property, but a Laundromat in the neighborhood).

It was okay. The room smelled of smoke and detergents, although it was supposed to be a non-smoking room, but it wasn’t too strong and everything else, like cleanness, furnishing, space, etc. was acceptable. And despite the full house it was surprisingly quiet! We ha d a good night sleep, a decent continental breakfast, and left the place in a good mood. It was far from being the best deal we can think of, but good under the circumstances.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

Overall a good place to stay as long as people would control their kids and be curtious to others staying there. Didn't get to sleep last night till 2am cause of other guesses allowing their kids to run up and down the hallways and being reallly loud. Next time I stay I'll not be keeping my mouth shut when it comes to that. I kept my child under control, but the others didn't.

• Stayed August 2012
Andrew
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

First off we arrived late and there were no other hotels open. Most other hotels were being
occupied by the power companys due to the outages in the area. When we checked in we were asked to pay for the roll-a-way bed in cash. When we were headed to our room, and I have a 4 year old, there were several young women in the parking lot with men and really all over each other. When we were finally in the room, the roll-a-way bed was delivered with dust thick on the railings of it and old sheets. We half stripped one of the other beds to make it worth sleeping on. The carpet was dirty and as I tried to plug my phone in, there was dust and dead bug shells behind the microwave stand. In between the bed and wall were also crunchy bug shells on the carpet. As we left the next morning, 2 women in very tight clothing, stringy hair and short shorts were walking the parking lot. One young guy came out and met up with one and they were all over each other...this place needs to be closed down !

Room Tip: They dont care what goes on here and the area is trashy
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Bay City, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

Pros - nice shower
Cons - hallway smelt musty and smokey going to the room, room wasn't much better even though it was non-smoking; bed had a dip in the middle; floor felt damp; the soap looked like it had fallen in the tub and it was left to dry for us; TP ran out and spare roll had watermarks like it fell in the nearby toilet - would have asked for more but clerk was rude when we called for the wireless password, I could hear her eyes roll on the phone; pool was really small and full; Hotel is 4 separate buildings and parking was tight.

We skipped breakfast as we were fearful about cleanliness.

Basically, after 8 nights of camping I was looking forward to a nice hotel to end my vacation. This was not it! We should've found a campground last night and saved our money.

• Stayed July 2012