“Okay, but....”

Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Carolina Beach, North Carolina
“Okay, but....”
Reviewed June 5, 2011

When needing to find a place to stay in Charleston, I went to Tripadvisor - natch. Found reviews for the Days Inn and thought I would give it a try.

There is an adage that you get what you pay for and this is true in this situation. The rooms are a nice size. Staff friendly. Relatively clean. Bed comfortable. Furnishings older but not yet tacky.

But, although wanting a non-smoking room, the one I had must have been a smoking room at some point because it smelt like an old ashtray - so, if you smoke, this is not a bad choice. If you don't, it might annoy you. Choosing to remain, I dealt with it and lit my scented candle (an always traveling tool) to ease my way.

The inside of the elevator had graffti marked on the stainless steel walls, now that took some doing and was a real shame. Doors in building 2 held open by dirty white rags by staff - not a real favorite view and poor choice by management.

This is a hard one to review because for a good price, it wasn't a bad choice but tonight I am in a different chain and thankfully so. This is not a four star but a two star so not a huge difference in price but again, you get what you pay for plus the other guests don't look as scary....

If I were hosting the high school hockey team trip, I would choose the Days Inn, if traveling by myself or with spouse, I personally would not.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank bseashore

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed May 14, 2011

I had not stayed in a Days Inn in several years and found this location to be a great value. Nice large room with 2 very pretty and comfortable beds...Nice to have granite in the bathroom...Very attractive room and asked for a quiet location and got one in bldg. 2 across from the river. Had a great night's sleep and never heard another guest which is a rare situation. Nice continental bkfast included and good free coffee....Friendly staff...Highly recommend if in the area....

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank twirlfan
Berea, Kentucky
Reviewed February 13, 2011

I'm never sure what I'm going to get when I reserve a room at a Days Inn. I don't know when this hotel was built, but it looks new, and management seems to want to keep it looking that way. It offers the traveler the reasonable price of a Days Inn and a room that is as clean and comfortable as any Days Inn room I've stayed in. Everything was in perfect working order. Additionally, I got friendly and attentive service from every employee with whom I interacted. In short, this establishment offers excellent value. I will return here.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Eustorgio
Midlothian, VA
Reviewed November 14, 2010

I first came across this hotel while passing through over two years ago and now stay here whenever I'm in the area. The hotel may not seem like much on the outside, but the rooms inside have been newly renovated and look really nice. On my recent visit, the bed was still very comfortable and the linens were all clean. Amenties include cable TV, free wi-fi and a coffeemaker. There is also an outdoor pool and a fitness center but I didn't use either one. The breakfast is typical fare, but there is a McDonald's in front of the hotel as well as plenty of other dining options nearby (I personally prefer the Texas Steakhouse across the street). The surrounding area seems pretty safe and the staff are friendly, making this my preferred stop whenever I'm in Charleston. It works perfectly well for a one-night stay and is conveniently located off of the WV Turnpike. You can't go wrong by staying here.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Marion, Indiana
Reviewed August 23, 2010

This was a great clean motel. Very friendly staff, secure buildings, great rooms and the beds & pillows were very comfortable. Breakfast was very good and clean area. Highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank MOMUSMC
Charleston, SC
Reviewed August 2, 2010

I stayed at this hotel overnight on the way home to SC from Ohio. We checked late at night and the staff were nice and welcoming and were quick to get is in a room. There isn't much parking. Most of the guest were overnight while on the road like we were and my 6 am the parking lot was pretty much empty. For a 1 night stay it wasnt to bad. I didnt like how the stairs to the 2nd story were outside and there wasnt a elevator. I didnt feel safe to tell you the truth. It was easy to get on and off the interstate though which is a plus. If you just staying 1 night while on the road its good place to stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Elkhart, IN
Reviewed July 26, 2010

I heard they just redid the hotel. Nice staff and clean. Could use new carpet in room but that might still be coming. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family