“Food good, bit pricey, lousy service”

South Hills Market and Cafe
Ranked #13 of 276 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Fusion, American, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Drinks, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: South Hills Market and Cafe serves lunch and dinner in the dining area and at the bar Tuesday - Saturday. Catering available for any occasion. Full bar, craft brews on tap, and a 2014 & 2015 Wine Spectator Award winning wine list.
Portland, Oregon
“Food good, bit pricey, lousy service”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

This is a hidden gem in Charleston. Decor is pleasant. Salads are mediocre and spendy for what you get. The ham and brie sandwich is spectacular. Five people at a table for lunch overwhelmed the kitchen, the serving staff, and the cashier. The waiter even mentioned that five orders at once was a bit much for the kitchen staff! They were out of the soup for the day. Not sure if we had sat at two tables instead of one if it would have been faster! It took us 45 minutes from the time we ordered until we go our food. All food was not served at the same time so some in our group were finished before others even tasted theirs. The place was not even busy at 1:30 pm on a Tuesday! Maybe the six people who were running the restaurant might have apologized for the long wait but it seems they thought it was our fault for coming in with so many people. It even took the cashier about 15minutes take our money and give us change. It seems that if you sit at one table you all have to check out at the same register!!!! Given the rave reviews from others we must have hit a bad day but not sure I would return unless I had an afternoon to kill.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank nuwildcat65

Charlotte, North Carolina
“great little place”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I stopped in here because I was thirsty and needed a place to get caught up on some work. I thought a market and cafe would be a casual little place to do so. I got my peach tea and chocolate peanut butter cookie {both delicious} and sat down. I soon realized that it was more of a restaurant than I thought, but they were gracious and let me sit at the bar. After an hour or so I looked at the menu and realized that I didn't need to go someplace else for dinner. They had a fabulous, eclectic menu. I ordered the scallops to go and they were delicious!! This is a great little place with yummy food and a quaint atmosphere. I will be back!

• Visited September 2012
Beaverton, Oregon
“Breakfast, lunch and dinner - it's all great!”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Breakfast: The omelets are delish. I've been there a few times and the chef has been very accommodating when I ask for little/no oil/butter particularly on the potato hash. It has an amazing flavor on its own and didn't need the added greasy texture.

Lunch: Very tasty sandwiches.

Dinner: Just tried their dinner for the first time (I chose to go there for my birthday dinner) and the range of chef specialty dishes was amazing. There were so many to choose from that we never realized there was an a la carte menu on the back. Our server, Blake, was friendly and knowledgeable.

We started off with the corn madeleines w/honey butter. So delicate and flavorful.

For my entree, I had the sole en pappillotte w/lemon butter and my companion had the wild mushroom tarte. Both were cooked to perfection - so full of flavor.

Finally, the lemon chiffon dessert with vodka blueberries was so light and delicious.

I can't guarantee those items will be on the menu in the future - they are planning to rotate their chef specialty dishes each month.

Can't wait to see what they come up with next!

• Visited August 2012
“A little out of the way, but extraordinary”
Reviewed July 4, 2012

This little bistro is tucked away in the South Hills neighborhood, an upscale suburban area of Charleston, W.Va. They specialize in fresh sandwiches, salads and side dishes that must be seen, and tasted, to be believed. On my last trip there, I had a homemade egg salad sandwich on toasted sourdough that could have come straight from my grandmother's kitchen. I had my choice of sides, and I selected an orzo-type side salad that was packed with unbelievable Mediterranean flavor. Service is personable and quick and the price is right.

• Visited June 2012
Charleston, West Virginia
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed May 15, 2012

As locals, we have eaten at most of the Charleston restaurants, and this little gem is one of our favorites. The cafe exterior is very modest at best, and the interior, while clean and cozy, is far from elaborate. If you didn't know better, you would drive right on by. This and the fact that its reputation is largely word of mouth explains why it doesn't have a higher ranking in TripAdvisor - people, many locals included, are just not aware it.

The dinner menu is not particularly extensive, but there is always a choice of tasty soups and appetizers. The main course choices include seafood, pasta, beef and/or lamb as well as a vegetarian dish. The chef changes the menu weekly, so there is always something interesting to keep us coming back, and we have never been disappointed. The chef and his creations are excellent and the prices are moderate.

If you enjoy a green salad with your dinner, try the gorgonzola dressing made on site - its wonderful. Their lamb and veal dishes are excellent when offered, and the fish is delicious. The other night I had the rack of lamb that was very good, and a few weeks ago the stripped bass was superb. The chef excels in preparing a variety of sauces for his dishes that are delectable and that give his preparations a special quality not commonly found. The bass had a light sauce prepared with a hint of kalamata olives that was unusual, but absolutely delicious.

You will find the restaurant at the top of Bridge Road, a short and fairly scenic drive from the City Center. Don't make the mistake of confusing the South Hills Market and Cafe with the Bridge Road Bistro that you will encounter a half block earlier as you go up Bridge Road. The Bistro is better known, and gets more attention, but it is decidedly inferior and more expensive.

• Visited May 2012

Been to South Hills Market and Cafe? Share your experiences!