“Breakfast, lunch and dinner - it's all great!”

South Hills Market and Cafe
Ranked #15 of 279 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: South Hills Market and Cafe serves lunch and dinner in the dining area and at the bar Tuesday - Saturday. Catering available for any occasion. Full bar, craft brews on tap, and a 2014 & 2015 Wine Spectator Award winning wine list.
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Breakfast: The omelets are delish. I've been there a few times and the chef has been very accommodating when I ask for little/no oil/butter particularly on the potato hash. It has an amazing flavor on its own and didn't need the added greasy texture.

Lunch: Very tasty sandwiches.

Dinner: Just tried their dinner for the first time (I chose to go there for my birthday dinner) and the range of chef specialty dishes was amazing. There were so many to choose from that we never realized there was an a la carte menu on the back. Our server, Blake, was friendly and knowledgeable.

We started off with the corn madeleines w/honey butter. So delicate and flavorful.

For my entree, I had the sole en pappillotte w/lemon butter and my companion had the wild mushroom tarte. Both were cooked to perfection - so full of flavor.

Finally, the lemon chiffon dessert with vodka blueberries was so light and delicious.

I can't guarantee those items will be on the menu in the future - they are planning to rotate their chef specialty dishes each month.

Can't wait to see what they come up with next!

Reviewed July 4, 2012

This little bistro is tucked away in the South Hills neighborhood, an upscale suburban area of Charleston, W.Va. They specialize in fresh sandwiches, salads and side dishes that must be seen, and tasted, to be believed. On my last trip there, I had a homemade egg salad sandwich on toasted sourdough that could have come straight from my grandmother's kitchen. I had my choice of sides, and I selected an orzo-type side salad that was packed with unbelievable Mediterranean flavor. Service is personable and quick and the price is right.

Reviewed May 15, 2012

As locals, we have eaten at most of the Charleston restaurants, and this little gem is one of our favorites. The cafe exterior is very modest at best, and the interior, while clean and cozy, is far from elaborate. If you didn't know better, you would drive right on by. This and the fact that its reputation is largely word of mouth explains why it doesn't have a higher ranking in TripAdvisor - people, many locals included, are just not aware it.

The dinner menu is not particularly extensive, but there is always a choice of tasty soups and appetizers. The main course choices include seafood, pasta, beef and/or lamb as well as a vegetarian dish. The chef changes the menu weekly, so there is always something interesting to keep us coming back, and we have never been disappointed. The chef and his creations are excellent and the prices are moderate.

If you enjoy a green salad with your dinner, try the gorgonzola dressing made on site - its wonderful. Their lamb and veal dishes are excellent when offered, and the fish is delicious. The other night I had the rack of lamb that was very good, and a few weeks ago the stripped bass was superb. The chef excels in preparing a variety of sauces for his dishes that are delectable and that give his preparations a special quality not commonly found. The bass had a light sauce prepared with a hint of kalamata olives that was unusual, but absolutely delicious.

You will find the restaurant at the top of Bridge Road, a short and fairly scenic drive from the City Center. Don't make the mistake of confusing the South Hills Market and Cafe with the Bridge Road Bistro that you will encounter a half block earlier as you go up Bridge Road. The Bistro is better known, and gets more attention, but it is decidedly inferior and more expensive.

Reviewed March 28, 2012

Don't let the "blah" exterior fool you. I came in on a business trip based on online reviews. This area of Charleston is a fun change of pace from downtown, and there are lots of quaint shops around.
The baked goods looked wonderful, though I ordered off the menu. (Also great). They had the best chai latte I had in Charleston. Service is very friendly.

I highly recommend this spot!

1  Thank amandafsmithson
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Great Med foods. Most of everything is homemade and made of organic goodies. Recomend the lobster bisk!

1  Thank Talon2PRO