“Great Music Venue”
Review of Clay Center

Clay Center
Ranked #5 of 47 things to do in Charleston
More attraction details
Owner description: Opened in the summer of 2003, the Clay Center strives to present a variety of arts and sciences all under one roof. The Avampato Discovery Museum is two floors of fascinating interactive science exhibits, while the ElectricSky™ Theater features planetarium shows. In addition there are a large performance hall and a small black-box theater, an art museum, a fun museum shop, and a cafe. There's something interesting scheduled virtually every night here!
Gadsden, Alabama
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Great Music Venue”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Have seen both large and small shows there. The main concert hall doesn't seem to have a bad seat and the smaller Walker Theater (like a black box theater) is wonderful intimate setting. Loved watching and performing there.

Visited November 2012

Charleston, West Virginia
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“A Wonderful Discovery for Children & Adults”
Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

The Clay Center is fairly close to my home, & as a teacher, I have taken many groups of children there for field trips. They do a marvelous job of organizing stress-free trips & the students love the exhibits!
However, I had never been there as an individual until this summer. My cousin's children (6,5,&3 years of age) were visiting & this seemed like a fun day trip.
Oh my goodness! The kids had a blast! At the ticket desk, the guy told me that I could save money by getting the family pass-so kind of him-& that allowed me to get 10% off of our lunch in their cafe.
We started our day in the planetarium-enjoyed by all, but the 3year old got bored after a while. Then we visited the science galleries. There are 2 large ones, & a smaller section just for preschoolers. We had to drag the kids away for lunch.
Lunch was fabulous! The salads & sandwiches were huge & bistro quality. The staff was very accommodating & so good with the kids. We also went to the movie & saw Roar! It is in the planetarium, so we were surrounded by lions! The kids loved this! They hated to leave & so did we. We also visited the art gallery. They have a small, nice collection.
A few weeks later, our state was hit by a terrible storm. Many were without power & water for weeks. The Clay Center opened its doors to families for free so that the kids could cool off & have some fun! I thought that gesture summed up the staff. They care about kids!

3 Thank labsadore
Charleston, West Virginia
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“A Real Jewel”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

My wife and I have season tickets and have attended a variety of events here. The entertainment is first rate, and the facilities are unparalleled. There is not a bad seat in the performance hall. The large format theater is exceptional, but never seems to be heavily used. The smaller performances in the back (Walker) theater are highly recommended and should be given a look. This facility is a real jewel that the people of WV should be very proud of.

Visited September 2012
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Wonderful for West Virginia”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We bought season tickets a couple times. This is a first class performance center. They have everything from CATS to Stomp. If there is something happening, and you can get tickets, jump at it. You will enjoy the evening.

Beckley, West Virginia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Very Interesting!”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

The Clay Center hosts some wonderful events to entertain everyone. They also have a science museum which is very fun and entertaining for kids and adults. We had a wonderful time going from thing to thing playing like we were children again!

1 Thank Csettle