“Not as recommended”
Review of Vandalia Grille - CLOSED

Vandalia Grille
Cuisines: American, Pizza
Reviewed February 8, 2012

Recommended by the a wonderful B & B we had stayed in awhile ago.

We ordered, and waited and since we had time before the Symphony it was not a big thing, but we were able to watch the prep area - where meals stacked up waiting to be served and then were tossed and remade. Well, at least the customers got the food hot.

My white sangria was very good, our spinach salad good. When our sliders (it is a "Small" Plate restaurant or tapas) came, my husband's BBQ was disappointing, not much flavor and my filet mignon sliders were...well, I should have asked for rare and maybe, just maybe there might have been a hint of pink. The one with bleu cheese was tasty albeit well done. The other two I had to use a knife on they were so tough. Ugh. We ordered coffee which was good.

I had a coupon for 10% off the bill, not a vast amount. The waitress said "Oh, I'm so sorry, I've run your husband's card already" and walked away. OK, not a big amount, but an offer to refund the difference in cash could have been made and I probably would have said "never mind." An offer to do a credit and rering could have been made and I would have told her not to bother...but nothing to make it better. Just the frosting on the cake. Mediocre food, mediocre service. Would I go back? Probably not, there are too many really worthwhile restaurants in Charleston...plus it is a little difficult to find.

Reviewed December 15, 2011

I have given this place several chances because it's close to my office but it simply is not very good and far better food can be had for considerably less.

2  Thank Jack F
Reviewed December 15, 2011

As a Charleston native, I was very sad when the Vandalia Lounge closed, but was thrilled when it re-opened its doors as the Vandalia Grille. It's a reasonably priced place for lunch and you can definitely get dinner on the cheap here. I recommend any of the burgers (the southwestern inspired BoBo's Border Burger is a new fave), sandwiches (the veggie grinder is surprisingly full of flavor), and sangria (your choice of red or white). I always look forward to dipping their rustic fries in their exclusive teriyaki mayonnaise and not feeling guilty about it.

My only complaint is the speed of service. The staff is always extremely friendly and helpful but sometimes I wish they were a little more attentive and worked with a sense of urgency.

If you're looking for a delightful alternative to Chili's for a good burger in Downtown Charleston, this is the place to go!

Reviewed November 30, 2011

I am in town on business and found this restaurant it has a nice decore and attentive staff. I chose to sit at the bar and everyone was very nice. Went back a few days later and had diner and it was great

Reviewed November 21, 2011

This grill is a breath of fresh air to Charleston. Always great service, great food and addictive sweet potato fries!