“Love the tomato pie”

Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Charleston, West Virginia, United States
“Love the tomato pie”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

Boneless wings are great too. Very casual but worth the drive. They offer take and bake if you want the taste of their pie at home.

Visited December 2012

Beckley, West Virginia, United States
“great pizza in a dive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

Don't be put off by the Anchor at first glance. It is a little difficult to get to (accessible only via I-77 S/I-64 E, but not from the other direction) and is located next to what looks like a rooms-by-the-hour no-tell motel. In addition to serving as a restaurant, it also serves as an outboard motor repair shop, and we've often walked past half-disassembled outboard motors clamped to sawhorses in the front of the restaurant. The carpet is threadbare, there's duct tape patching holes in the seating, and the rest room is not spotless.

All that said, the Anchor serves one of the best pizzas I've ever eaten, and I was born in Chicago and have a lot of family in NYC. It is called a "tomato pie," and it is a thin crust pizza, with nothing more than cheese, chopped tomato, olive oil, and garlic salt on top. No gourmet toppings - if you want this, try Lola's or Pies and Pints - but this unpretentious-sounding pizza has to be experienced to be believed.

• Visited July 2012
“Some great food here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

No one is going to confuse the decor of this place with the Chop House. This is a very casual place with some unique, delicious food choices. Some of these include their Tomato Pie with its garlic laden crust and tasty toppings. Their Buffalo shrimp is very unique and tasty. They offer a unique calzone, homemade chips, and very good burgers and sandwiches. Sure it could an interior sprucing up, but it doesn't stop me from patronizing this unique pub in the Charleston area.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bill Arthur makes awesome Pizza amnd has for years”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

Everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Thank jon S
“Great Service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2010

I was told how great The Riverside Anchor's pizzas were, so I decided to take my family and I there one Friday night after a high school football game. It was very busy it seemed, so we almost didn't stop, but I had to! I am glad we did, too!!! The Tomato Pies, boneless wings and salads were probably in my top 5 favorite dishes I've had at any restaurant. The service we had was amazing as well, we were very lucky to have the waitress we did because the booth near us was telling my husband about their waitress and had nothing good to say! Her name might have started with a R or possibly a B and she had dark curly hair that was pinned up, NOT THE WAITRESS I WOULD EVER WANT WAITING ON MY FRIENDS, MY FAMILY OR ME! Our receipt had a name that started with a T on it, not real sure if it was her name but it didn't seem to fit her, little blond with a pretty, bright white smile and one of the best personalities I've dealt with in this line of work. APPEARANCE of RESTAURANT=A APPEARANCE of STAFF= A+ (for the most part) FOOD= A++