“Interesting side trip”

Kanawha State Forest
Ranked #8 of 50 things to do in Charleston
More attraction details
Owner description: A convenient location, just seven miles south of Charleston, plus a large swimming pool, playground, hiking and biking trails and a 9,300-acre forest, make this recreational area one of the most popular in West Virginia.
Reviewed March 30, 2014

We drove from St. Albans to the park and really enjoyed the narrow, winding road. Beautiful scenery to and at the park. It was a bit cold for hiking but we enjoyed the short walk we took

4  Thank Kelly B

Reviewed March 4, 2014

It's a shame that more people don't take advantage of this facility. Shelters are very nice for group outings. It's a very peaceful environment in a beautiful setting.

2  Thank TSKWVU70
Reviewed September 27, 2013

From my notes from my work trip to Charleston in August. I had some free time and needed the exercise so I drove out here and got a trail map and went for a hike. The trails were well marked and I enjoyed the elevation change and the workout I got from my hike. I saw lots of birds but I didn't see any mammals larger than a squirrel. The trails were great and I'm glad I drove out here to hike. While driving back out of the park I saw lots of picnic shelters and saw a lot of people on bikes. This is a great park and well worth a visit.

6  Thank trbeer
Reviewed August 15, 2013

A beautiful little park about 15 minutes outside of Charleston. Not particularly well advertised or famous (likely the reason it remains pristine), it has a good reputation with local botanists and mountain bikers as well as those who just want to walk and enjoy the woods.

A note for the unwary: You will have NO PHONE SERVICE here. It doesn't matter what your carrier is. Take a map to get you out of the area and be prepared for a few hours without phone calls, texts, or internet service.

8  Thank Sasha S
Reviewed August 5, 2013

It is so close to Charleston, and it is surprising how unblemished it is. The walking trails were nice, and we got to see a lot of unusual plants including a Ghost Plant and a Coral Fungus. I would have liked to have had either a trail map or better signs for their trails, but I had printed out the hiking trail descriptions so we knew difficulty and location before we started out.

1  Thank KYTravelingMama