“go here”

Kanawha State Forest
Ranked #8 of 49 things to do in Charleston
More attraction details
Owner description: A convenient location, just seven miles south of Charleston, plus a large swimming pool, playground, hiking and biking trails and a 9,300-acre forest, make this recreational area one of the most popular in West Virginia.
Baltimore, Maryland
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“go here”
Reviewed January 26, 2012

Great place to hike close to Charleston. Definitely get a map first, either from the forest office or print one from the internet.

Visited January 2012
1 Thank 100Julie

Charleston SC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Walking tour of Charleston”
Reviewed July 18, 2011

Walking tour was great, very informative. Very helpful that tour guide was a 7th generation Charlestonian. Gained a great deal of history and information about the city, without being too wordy or boring.

Visited July 2011
1 Thank 9969Char
West Virginia
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Avoid at all costs!!”
Reviewed July 1, 2010

My husband thought that a trip to Kanawha State Forest would be a great way to end my Mother's Day. Man was he wrong! Not only is it very hard to find, there isn't much there. Just a tip, when the black top road ends, best to turn around. We found ourselves driving up the mountain on a thin and crumbling gravel road. I thought for sure we were heading off the cliff many times. We ended up in Marmet, a good 45 mins away from where we started. I have never been so happy to see flat ground in my life! All I can say is thank god for sport shift!

3 Thank wvugirl2005
Appalachian Mtns
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Beautiful place to hike and picnic”
Reviewed August 29, 2008

We visit this forest at least twice a year. There are many beautiful hiking trails including a nice hadicapped trail. There are lots of secluded areas to hike to and have a picnic, and streams for the kids to play in also.

3 Thank infojunkie00
Cumming, Georgia
62 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“Too remote for me”
Reviewed June 22, 2008

We were traveling through the area and looking for a place to camp for the night. They don't take reservations, so we noted the directions and wound for miles through residential areas until we finally reached the park. Once in the park, we had to drive several more miles to reach the campground.

When we finally arrived, while my SO was getting out the tent, etc, I checked out the bath house. There was ONE shower stall for the entire area. I let the water run for several minutes before it even began to get warm. Then we saw the bear warning posted on the bulletin board, so decided this area was not for us at this time.

1 Thank gawildcats