“Closed on Mondays”

West Virginia State Museum
Ranked #1 of 50 things to do in Charleston
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in the Cultural Center, this interesting museum traces the history of West Virginia through a series of exhibits containing everything from an extensive collection of antique hats donated by a local school teacher to the telescope George Washington used to survey lands within the state.
Reviewed April 29, 2013

This is a very nice State Museum in a beautiful building. I learned a lot about West Virginia that I did not know.

There are newer reviews for West Virginia State Museum

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Being a native West Virginia I had never taken the time to visit the museum. I was impressed with the displays, stories and artifacts of the state's history. A good time spent learning about the history of the people of WV.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

I took my wife to kill some time while in Charleston recently and was surprised to find the old cultural museum transformed into the new History Museum. We were blown away by the time, effort, and thought that went into designing the museum. We took an hour to blow through the museum but could go back multiple times to pick up the information we missed. This is well worth a visit.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

We were here about 1 1/2 hours and it was quite enjoyable. Especially nice that it is free - that way you don't feel like you have to spend a certain amount if time to get your moneys worth.

Exhibits are divided into flowing rooms and it basically starts hundreds of millions of years ago and goes up to the present. Many times we were the only people in a "room".

I definitely learned a few things I didn't know about. I would recommend this museum with the exception that very small children may be bored. There are not a lot of hands on experiences that you would find at a museum geared towards young children.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

I would recommend the State Museum to anyone visiting Charleston. It included a wealth of material on the state's history and culture, both the good and the bad, and well organized. And you can't beat the price. One problem is that despite signs to the contrary you can't park in the Capitol Complex. We found parking on the street a few blocks away.