“Just average.”

Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Just an honest review: I spend 2-3 nights a week in hotels. Most hotels are updating their look to compete. This hotel will NOT be my first choice when working in Charleston. They have done a fantastic job in the lobby/bar/pool area. It's beautiful! That is truly where it stopped for me. I booked a king room, but front desk was very helpful and moved me after I found the first room unacceptable. I am used to there being an occasional hair,etc......but I was in 3 rooms on the second floor where the tile was not swept. They have not done a good job of refurb in the rooms. OR, they have not been kept up well. Onsite restaurant keeps you from having to go out....the neighborhood could be better.
What's that old saying? Putting lipstick on a pig? I really think they would have been better off just gutting the hotel and starting from scratch......

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank MissyS267
Joe B, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

I thank you for your honest review! I'm glad to hear you liked the remodel with the lobby/pool/bar areas and our Mosa Cafe and Grille onsite restaurant. I am truly sorry for the trouble you had with the rooms and we have made corrections so that issue won't happen to another guest. If you would like to discuss your stay with me, please call 304-744-4641 and ask for Joe Baber.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Have not stayed at this recently renovated hotel which is actually located in South Charleston (but convenient to downtown right off Interstate 64) but have attended a number of meetings. This is the "old" Ramada Inn property which has been thoroughly renovated. It's more of a destination hotel vs. a room for the night (Hampton or number of others would do for a quick one night stay) but got to say I have been very impressed with the meeting facilities as well as food and service. Chamber has held a couple functions there. As a meeting planner, I'd suggest you throw this one into the mix - they have airport shuttle plus plenty of free parking for in-state or regional attendees. Comparable to upgraded Courtyards, Hilton Garden Inns, etc. Nice bar and restaurant facility. Has nearby walk-outs (some probably would be driving distance) in South Charleston proper ... quite frankly, wouldn't have recommended under the old brand but for meeting space in Charleston area it is definately now a contender. Good job folks!

Room Tip: Again, I haven't stayed, but all rooms appear to me to be equally well situated. Not a scenic vi...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank WVUTom
Joe B, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

I would like to thank you so much for your comments about our hotel! I know you didn't have the chance to stay with us, but we appreciate your comments about our meeting spaces and catering. From the whole team here we thank you again!

Reviewed September 17, 2012

We absolutely loved our stay! We were on our way to visit family and stopped for the night. Kim was the person at the front desk when we checked in, and she was absolutely delightful. She was knowledgeable and extremely friendly. The hotel was beautiful, clean and well kept. The pool was gorgeous! All of the staff was very, friendly and extremely accommodating! The food at the restaurant was very affordable and extremely tasty, and the service was spectacular! The breakfast in the morning was delicious, and fresh. Justin was in the Breakfast Nook, and was very friendly and kept everything full. When we checked out Mia and Jatina where at the desk, and they were also very friendly and knowledgeable. Our stay was brief but fantastic! Definitely will return!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Luanne68
Joe B, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Thank you so much for your kind review! I appreciate your comments and will make sure the staff members you mentioned are recognized for their customer service. I am glad to hear you found the hotel to your liking and I hope to see you again when you pass through in the future!

Reviewed September 5, 2012

The hotel seems to be going through a facelift so I would call ahead and check on that status. There will be some good and some bad while this property is being transformed. The good: newly renovated sleek and modern lobby, dining and pool areas, friendly helpful staff, good free breakfast, clean room and a comfortable bed. Now the bad: 1) Suggesting at check-in that I use the back entrance because it's closer to the elevators, but not telling me that I would have to manually slide the heavy door open because the auto-open feature wasn't working; 2) having one of two elevators out of order and another staff member suggesting it would be faster if I used the stairs; 3) Shoving my 5th floor King room door to open/close it because it didn't fit the door frame; 4) Having the smoke alarm right above the bathroom door go off during my morning HOT shower. I had a good laugh looking back at this overnight stay but I think I'll wait until the hotel is completely renovated to consider it again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Joe B, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

I am terribly sorry about the side door, there was a mechanism failure and we had it repaired that day. I'm sorry that you were inconvenienced. We are also in the process of renovating our elevators for better service and have to take one down in order to continue the project. We have completed all major construction except for the elevators, and I hope that you will give us
another chance in the future to serve you better!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Booked this hotel for a mini vacation. Upon arriving, they were a little late having my room ready, but offered me coffe or drink til it was ready. After getting settled in nd freshening up as I was leaving my car messed started overheating and I had to return to the hotel, where I was stranded for the night. The people at the front desk went above and beyond the call of duty to make sure I had everything I needed. They checked on me often and even offered to shuttle me to anywhere I needed to go.The following morning, when the car had cooled down, needed to add water and once again the front desk came to the rescue, getting me a pitcher from the kitchen and getting me water. Had a wonderful 2 night experience. The rooms were nice and the bed very comfortable. I will definitely stay again when I am in the area. Just want to say a special than you to Mia, Michael, Brian, and Chilou for all your wonderful help while I was there. You guys are awesome!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Joe B, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

CSMLite, Thank you so much for the kind words, and I am so glad we were able to help you out in so many ways. Our staff and their service make our hotel what it is and it is great to hear them get the recognition they deserve. It's good to hear what a great time they made your stay. Thank you again and we certainly look forward to your return in the future!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

This hotel was fine once I got into the room, however, the parking lot was dark, the automatic door from the parking lot was broken and had to be slid open manually, the front desk is on the other side of the hotel away from where you enter at the parking lot door, so I would not suggest using this hotel while it continues to be under construction, especially if you have dogs or children and lots of stuff. Further, signs indicating that the front desk is on the other side of the building would be appropriate. As I said the room itself was very nice and quite comfortable. One note: the room had no working light that could be accessed from the door, leaving me to stumble around in the dark trying to turn on a light.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Kara G

Kara G, Thank you for the comments about your experience. I apologize for the concerns you had and wanted to let you know that we have repaired the side door, and are working on correcting the other issues you have mentioned in your review. I hope you will give us the chance to serve you better in the future.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I visited this holiday inn last week and from the front desk to the guys working around the building, I was treated like a king. I am definitely recommending this Holiday Inn to my family and friends when they are in Charleston. They went over and above to make me welcome and provided excellent service. Thanks to all who I spoke to and made my stay really comfortable. My recommendation is to give your staff raises to keep these good people in your employment and happy. The room was big and had a fridge and microwave and a pool and jacuzzi. Everything was easy to find and you will just love it. The front desk lady was so kind and friendly and helpful. The best I have ever experienced. They will also give you shuttle rides to shopping centers if you do not wish to drive. Drop you off and pick you up. Awesome. This is the place to stay. I wish I owned this hotel because I would give them raises to keep them on my staff.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Joe B, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Thank you so much for the kind words. I am happy to hear you received excellent treatment while you stayed with us! We value our employees and they make our hotel. I appreciate your comments and I hope to see you again so we can serve you just as well in the future.