“Hard to find.”

Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We stayed here one night. The hotel was nice. Great pool and awesome breakfast.This hotel is pet-friendly. The breakfast staff were the nicest people we had meet on vacation. Very nice ladies. This hotel was in a residential neighborhood, which parts of it I wasn't to sure about. Not very many places to choose from to eat at, luckily we were only here 1 night. It was hard for us to find, the sign is placed badly. There is a train that runs right by the hotel, it is loud and did wake me up throughout the night.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Joe B, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2012

Thank you for the time you took to give our hotel a review! I appreciate all the kind words you had for our breakfast staff and I’m really glad you enjoyed the pool as well. I am sorry you were not informed about the dining choices around the hotel as well as those that were just a short 5-10 minute drive away. I am also sorry that you found it hard to find us, we will work to see that it is easier in the future. Again, thank you and I hope to see you again when your travels bring you back through Charleston!

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West

Reviewed August 10, 2012

I booked this hotel on line with Holiday Inn. When we arrived the front desk person could not find my reservation and continued over and over asking if I had the right hotel. I showed him my confirmation on my phone and he continued to say, " I can not find your reservation". I asked if he had rooms and he said yes. He said he hoped I didn't get charged twice. He gave me a room on the fifth floor. After taking my kids and all of our luggage up to the fifth floor, I open the door to a room with one bed. So back down I went. He then gave me a room on the first floor. It was ok. Sometime during the night my husband found a very large bug in the bathroom. Thank goodness he didn't tell me until later. The train kept me awake all night and then first thing bright and early they started resurfacing the parking lot outside our window. Never once did I get an apology. I told the front desk person my story in the morning, she didn't care either. DO NOT GIVE THIS HOTEL YOUR MONEY. They are rude,

Room Tip: There aren't any.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

I am sorry that your stay was less than the best. I will look into the problems that you have brought up. I apologize that you weren't informed at check-in about the paving that was scheduled to start at 9 AM the next morning. I hope that you will call me at 304-744-4641, and ask for Joe Baber, to discuss your stay and what occurred during it. It will help me to correct the problems you’ve mentioned. Again I am truly sorry for what happened during your stay and I hope that when these issues are corrected, that you will give us the opportunity to show you an exceptional stay.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Our family of 5 stopped here for one night on our return trip to NC from NE. This hotel was not our first choice but our first choice was full. I understand why this hotel had room available. It is in a less than desirable area with no restaurants except the hotel bar.
The hotel is recently remodeled, which means the decor is updated and the furniture is newer. That didn't change the cave-like feeling of our suite. It was dark and gloomy. The bathroom still needed work as the granite was stained and there was mold growing in the caulk joints. We just couldn't shake the idea that the suite just didn't feel clean. The A/C was old and inefficient at cooling the rooms and one had mold around it. The beds were full-sized, instead of the more appealing queen beds of nicer hotels.
The restaurant was decent for our late dinner and had a good selection of kids meals. The pool was nice, though there were not towels and dispite our telling the front desk no additional towels were delivered during our time swimming. The fitness room was nice. The pool area was definitely the best part.
Breakfast was okay, but was not adequately stocked and there was not enough seating. Breakfast staff seemed more concerned with discussing their previous night's exploits than refilling items that were out.
Avoid the 3rd floor as that is the smoking floor. WV law still allows for a percentage of rooms to be smoking. When the elevator doors open on that floor a cloud of smoke can been seen and smelled.
The elevators were left out of the recent remodel and are old, hot, and very, very slow.
Overall, the room cost as much per night as our recent stays at Marriott Residence Inns and was significantly less nice, with less nice ammenities. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Avoid the 3rd floor - it is the smoking floor. Also elevators are loud, so ask for a room away from...
1  Thank FootballTurtle5
Joe B, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

I am very sorry that we did not live up to your expectations. You have brought up a number of points that I will discuss with the appropriate staff members. I am also sorry that you were not informed of the local dining choices around our hotel. I want to let you know that we are remodeling the elevators this month and expect that to alleviate the problems with them. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the pool and fitness areas. If you would like to discuss your stay with me at anytime please call me at 304-744-4641 and ask for Joe Baber. I would hope that you give us the opportunity in the future to show you that we have addressed your comments to your satisfaction.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

Stopped here for the evening. Room was clean and nice. Usually i do not like toneat at the hotel restaurant, but there is not much around the hotel so we ate at the hotel restaurant...glad we did. Meal was very good. Service a little slow but all things considered we enjoyed our meal.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Joe B, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your meal at our hotel restaurant, and I am sorry that the service was slow. I will let the staff know about it so that we can improve that part of our operation. Thank you for the review and I hope to see you again!

Reviewed July 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for two nights in June 2012 as a halfway point between central Illinois and Williamsburg, Virginia. I did extensive research to find a hotel in the Charleston area with a pool, in room fridge, free wifi and breakfast that was close to the interstate with decent reviews. This Holiday Inn certainly fit the bill, and we were very pleased with our stay. The room was very clean and comfortable, and the indoor pool area was fabulous. The included continental breakfast was better than most restaurants(!), and there was a good Mexican restaurant within walking distance. In fact, this was our favorite hotel of the entire trip! We would not hesitate to stay here again - highly recommended.

Room Tip: There is some train noise all over Charleston due to all of the railroads, but the noise seemed to b...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Natalie S

Thank you for your review! I am always happy to hear from our guests. I am glad to hear that you had a great time at our hotel and that you enjoyed the pool area. I look forward to seeing you again the next time you travel through Charleston, West Virginia!

Reviewed July 25, 2012

Room was clean and well decorated, complementary breakfast was good with hot sausage and potatoes (eggs were powdered so I didn't eat them). Staff was helpful, courteous, welcoming and professional. I'd say the best thing about this hotel is the staff. Unfortunately on my second night here at 4:00 am I encountered a cockroach in my room. The man running the front desk refunded me for one night of my stay and the maintenance man came and killed the cockroach for me, but I didn't get any sleep after that. Then at 5:30 am one of those creepy water bugs with 10 long legs went crawling across the wall. I couldn't get out of the room fast enough. I spent the day falling asleep at work due to no sleep. I'm not going to stay here again because bugs bother me too much. Next business trip I'll stay elsewhere and encourage others from the company to do the same. If you don't mind bugs this is a good hotel.

Pictures of the bugs for the curious:

• Stayed: July 2012
Joe B, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2012

Thank you for your review and the kind words regarding our hotel. I am terribly sorry for the problems you experienced as well. I want to assure you that it is not typical for our hotel and we are taking steps to investigate and correct the problem. If you would like to talk to me about the incident and ensure that your stay has been handled to your satisfaction, you can reach me at (304) 744-4641 and ask for Joe Baber.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

The hotel is a little older, but the rooms are still very nice and the lobby is decent. The staff was fairly friendly and I found the place to be pretty clean. The location isn't the best, but it's still downtown.

Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charleston
Hampton Inn Charleston - Southridge
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Charleston South
Four Points by Sheraton Charleston
Holiday Inn Express Charleston - Civic Center
Embassy Suites by Hilton Charleston
Wingate by Wyndham Charleston
Wingate by Wyndham Charleston
#2 of 3 in South Charleston

Been to Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West? Share your experiences!