“Has vaulted to the top of the greater Charleston hotels list.”

Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed June 15, 2012

This was formerly Ramada Inn, and I think has the same ownership. The move over to a HI property was a good one. The whole hotel has been remodeled. The new entrance was set up on what used to be the side, a brand new pool has been built, and the whole remodel is tasteful and attractive.

The staff was friendly, informative, and helpful. The rooms are well appointed and modern.

They do need new elevators though. The one very noticeable downside was a lovely new hotel with really slow, obsolete elevators.

The real gem in the remodel is the new pool. I was traveling with my toddler, and she loved the pool. The pool is, by far, the area's nicest. With a shallow play pool with multiple shooting yets for the kiddies. I deep pool for swimming, and heated by a waterfall flowing out of the hot tub, with a ledge for the kiddies to climb behind the waterfall. Bathrooms at the pool, pool showers, chaise loungers, very spacious. It's am amazing pool favorably comparable to most any hotel, and in my opinion the nicest in WV.

I have stayed at this property three times. Twice when it was Ramada, and now once as HI. I have never had train noise disturb me. I guess if you are a light sleeper ask for something close to the front of the property. I have also stayed at the adjacent Wingate Inn, twice, and also had no trains disturb me. I am a moderately heavy sleeper though.

Without a doubt, however, this HI is now among the top three hotels in the Charleston area. I would say it's top two, with Embassy Suites downtown, but located off the Montrose Exit in South Charleston, it's more relaxing and convenient than Embassy downtown.

I travel frequently, within the state and out of state, and I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone, for business or pleasure.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mcgervey
Bev K, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2012

Thank you so much for such a glowing review! I am so glad you took the time to send it to us. As a repeat guest that means a lot to us, and I'm so glad you find the remodel to be such a great upgrade from previous one. I think the pool is a great showpiece for the hotel and it seems a lot of our guest think the same. I am sorry about the slowness of the elevators, but I do have a good thing to say about them - we have recently contracted to completely renovate them and add better, faster equipment to make them up to what our guest expect them to be. I hope you drop by to see them when we have completed them.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West

Reviewed June 13, 2012

Other reviewers have mentioned that this hotel has been newly remodeled - the pool is very nice, with a small exercise area right off of it. Rooms are nice sized with a microwave and a refrigerator. Free breakfast buffet with a nice variety. We had requested adjoining rooms on a higher floor and the staff was able to accomodate. Everyone nice and friendly. **The restaurant is closed on Sunday nights and there is only one restaurant in the vicinity - Mexican, which the front desk staff said was very good. We were not in the mood for Mexican food so the front desk sent us to the local mall with other recommendations.

Room Tip: I always look for higher floors - this hotel has 6 floors and we were on the 5th.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

I'm so glad we were able to accommodate your request for the higher floor with adjoining rooms. I'm happy you found your stay pleasant, and that we were able to recommend a good place to eat for you. I look forward to seeing you on a future visit!

Reviewed June 11, 2012

What a nice surprise--the renovation at Holiday Inn properties around the country is to be commended. Job well done. Drove cross country and didn't hesitate to stay in other Holiday Inn properties because of the hotel in Charleston West Virginia.

Would always find the HI Express because it was newer and had better amenities. Not anymore--the remodels/updates are impressive for such an old chain. Fitness center as good as any SPG property as well as business center. Free internet ++ Good choice of breakfast. Laundry facitities ++ as well as redone pools (didn't use) and restaurant/bar areas(Didn't eat here).

Great Staff/Great rates/value for money and rewards program. And most importantly CLEAN and latest security for doors

Location- off of freeway, didn't hear. But did hear train. Not close to walking downtown-must drive.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank napajoe

Thank for your review! I am always pleased to hear that we represent our brand well, and that it makes you more at ease to stay at other Holiday Inns across the country. I appreciate the comments about our great staff and facilities. The Staff and I look forward to your return when in the area again!

Reviewed June 11, 2012 via mobile

This hotel has been newly remodeled and is very nice. The pool is great and the beds were so comfy. Be sure to call for a better price. Trip advisors prices were about $40 higher than the one we got when we called them.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We were in Charleston for a family reunion for 2 nights. I am so glad that we stayed at this hotel. The rooms were very clean and the beds were comfortable. The indoor pool was clean (and heated) and they had a decent workout room with updated cardio equipment and dumbells. If we decide to come back to Charleston for a future reunion or just to visit my wifes family then i will try to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank stevefromtheatl
Reviewed June 3, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is very nice the rooms are great. The pool is outstanding. We order room service for breakfast They forgot are orange juice and toast but the thing that got me the most was I took a drink if the milk and it tasted bad I then looked at the date and it was five days old. Be aware and look at the dates.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed May 30, 2012

I arrived to find the room I had reserved and verified with the hotel was not available. The front desk lady made some changes and did assign an acceptable room instead.

She was also helpful in pointing out some nearby places to get something for a late lunch. She also gave the the information about the eveing reception at the sister hotel.

Room service was nice at this hotel, limited menu but after getting up at 4:00am flight, it was great not having to go out for food.

My room was clean but small and the bed was not the best, even though this was supposed to be newly redone hotel.

I would stay again because of the staff and room service.

This is not a downtown hotel but in an industrial section of the city.

Room Tip: Just remember to call the day you are to arrive, even with my reservation and a call to confirm, I w...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charleston
Hampton Inn Charleston - Southridge
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Charleston South
Four Points by Sheraton Charleston
Holiday Inn Express Charleston - Civic Center
Embassy Suites by Hilton Charleston
Wingate by Wyndham Charleston
Wingate by Wyndham Charleston
#2 of 3 in South Charleston

Been to Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West? Share your experiences!