“Great place to bunk” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Pittsburgh, PA
“Great place to bunk”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2005

Had some weekend activities in late February in Charleston, WVa., and was not going to be spending much time in a hotel room. Son and I just needed a place to bunk.

Knights Inn was great for us and at about $35 per night before taxes. Despite what has been said in the other reviews, I thought our room was clean, the beds were sizable and very comfortable.

In the room, there were what looked like a brand new 27-inch Sylvania television with a remote that worked and many channels, a new clock radio, and a new air conditioning/heating unit that worked great. There were no burned-out light bulbs, something I cannot say about some of the classier hotels I have visited. There was plenty of room for the two of us and the room included a table and two chairs.

There was free continental breakfast in the lobby. Well, actually doughnuts. But we were happy with them. There was also coffee and tea and orange and apple juice.

All of the staff we ran into during the weekend were friendly and I had a nice talk with one of the cleaning ladies about why we were visiting in Charleston -- a martial arts tournament. Also, I had called that Friday morning to alert them that we would be a late arrival and when we pulled in that evening, our check-in card was sitting out and ready to go.

Upon leaving, we filled up one of our coolers with ice so we had cold drinks for the five-hour trip home.

Now here is what I did not like: Although the shower was great, the bathroom with the shower and commode was quite cramped. The sink was outside of the bathroom, so each morning my son got to watch me shave. I would not want to put up with that for a week, but for a night or two I guess it was bearable.

The motel is in a busy area with lots of places to eat and with gas stations and stores. Since my teenage son and I were on a "road trip" without mom and sister, we decided to visit Hooters for the first time!

We will have our same activity in Charleston next February. And I would not hesitate to stay at the Knights Inn again.

• Stayed February 2005
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Sybernet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2004

Stayed at Charleston Knights Inn at 6401 Maccorkle Ave on 15 oct to 23 oct, carpet needed serious shampoo- beds not made on 2 occasions and also trash not emptied same time. Had reservations on line but were lost-advertised free high speed internet/only on 3 select rooms- advertised small fridge and coffee maker/ only in same selected 3 rooms!!! Would not recommend even for a dog to stay- bad news/experience. Manager promised to put fridge in/shampoo carpet-never happened.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2003

stayed here a while ago for 2 months, my company paid for the place, so i had no choice. The rooms were bad and were not cleaned that well. the staff was unfriendly and unhelpful. There were several women in the parking lot every evening that were soliciting. This is not a place i would stay with my family.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2003

This was one of the worst places I think I have stayed in my entire time traveling.The cost was great. With Hotels.com we got the room for 37.99 a night. Check in process was not that bad, but then we saw the room.The room smelled like mold, and the staff did not care. The pool was not open at the time we stayed there (memorial day) but you could not even sit by it.The staff was not friendly at all, and did not help us find anything or do anything. The room accomadations were lacking -- severely. Overall, avoid this place!

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member