“Great for lunch”
Review of Bluegrass Kitchen

Bluegrass Kitchen
Ranked #9 of 279 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Charleston's authentic farm-to-table made-from-scratch modern comfort food restaurant. With a legion of chefs who caringly practice the art of food, BgK offers delicious brunch, dinner, and desserts for hungry vegetarians, meat connoisseurs, and everyone in-between. In the circa 1920 building with pressed tin ceilings and exposed architecture, Bluegrass also serves as a gallery for local artists. In the Tap room there's live original acoustic music most nights, with finely crafted cocktails, a curated wine list & a bounty of beers. Close to West Virginia's beautiful capitol grounds the family-owned and operated Bluegrass Kitchen has been featured in The New York Times and Wall Street Journal as well as Bon Appetit, Garden & Gun, Taste of the South magazines and many more.
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I've been to the Bluegrass Kitchen several times for lunch, and I think the food is great. My favorites are the Asparagus & Bleu grilled cheese sandwich and the Artisan French Dip. The first time I had that I declared it the best French dip sandwich I'd ever eaten! I like that the food is locally sourced. And every time I go in there is new art on the walls. One time my young boys were giggling about a painting on the wall that they found funny. Our waiter came over and told us all about it as it was actually his painting! Great food, friendly service, laid back atmosphere.

1  Thank Jill T

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Others may disagree, but this is my favorite restaurant in the city.

Among other things, this is the place for a hand-made classic cocktail. There are daily cocktail specials that are almost always interesting, and many classics in the barkeeps repetoire. You do not want to order a Long Island Ice Tea here. You will, however, get one of the best Manhattans or Old Fashionds in town.

Lunch gives you a decent selection of entrees and sandwiches - one of my favorites is the asparagus grilled cheese sandwich. The iced green tea is also a fave.

For dinner, the ribeye is always outstanding. Another favorite is the enormous Fish & Chips. Beer fondue makes a great app to share, and there is usually a large selection of appetizers with rotating seasonal selections.

This is a good place to check out their daily specials on the Internet before you go.

Another very important issue to note is that BGK, without a doubt, led the restaurant business during Charleston's continuing water crisis. They have consistently done the right thing, including setting up an elaborate internal water system, to protect the health and well-being of their customers.

1  Thank rpdc
Reviewed February 5, 2014

This is our second stop here for lunch as we are visitors to Charleston. The lunch menu featured mostly sandwiches and soups. They use a lot of locally sourced meats and breads. I had a Reuben which had slow cooked brisket that was not one of the better reubens I have tried. Only average. My partner had a nice looking and varied salad. They have a good selection of locally brewed beer.

The menu is a bit on the high side. Without the food being exceptional, that' stone reason for the three star rating. But yes, we'd go back.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

I've eaten at Bluegrass Kitchen twice. Once was a to-go order, so I don't typically count those, although the veggie burger was pretty good, albeit dry.

The last time my boyfriend and I ate there, it took almost 10 minutes to be seated in a nearly empty restaurant, and when we were seated, we were seated right next to another party. It tasted as though they had salt in their water to deter people from drinking it (restaurant trick to encourage them to order other drinks)

We ordered the lamb app, and when it came out, it was literally two lamb meatballs that were burnt. It had cost like $14 or $15 for two terrible meatballs.

After about another half hour or so, our entrees came out. I ordered the chicken tostada and it was cold, although it had a little flavor. My boyfriend ordered the french dip and was disappointed. The bread was as hard as a crouton and the au jus was very watery.

Our server, a middle aged African American guy with glasses, seemed to be a little more absorbed into his phone and paperwork than his tables.

With just an app and two entrees, our bill was close to $50

The atmosphere was pretentious, the food was extremely overpriced for what it was, and it seems to me that this is one of those restaurants people go to just to be hip.

It's kind of nice that they have local artists' on display and that they have live music every so often to introduce Charleston's artists to the proud-to-be local over-spenders.

1  Thank TheSighFiGirl
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Stopped in three times during a week-long trip to Charleston. The restaurant is separated into two areas, a small bar and a larger dining room, both of which embrace the character of this 1920s building. Unfortunately during my stay, Charleston had a chemical spill and the tap water was banned, but Bluegrass Kitchen was able to quickly find an alternative water source and was one of the first restaurants to reopen during the crisis. I was glad they did. Good selection of local beers on tap, as well as craft beer from beyond the region. They are a farm to food establishment that's environmentally conscience. The burger I had during the water crisis was amazing -- and not just because it was the rare hot meal I had in four days. A spinach/chicken salad I had before the water issue was also good. Service was excellent, and they had some very talented acoustic musicians in during a Sunday night visit. I can't wait to go back and try their dinner menu.

1  Thank bsfarrington

Been to Bluegrass Kitchen? Share your experiences!