“Great vegetarian options”
Review of Bluegrass Kitchen

Bluegrass Kitchen
Ranked #10 of 277 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Charleston's authentic farm-to-table made-from-scratch modern comfort food restaurant. With a legion of chefs who caringly practice the art of food, BgK offers delicious brunch, dinner, and desserts for hungry vegetarians, meat connoisseurs, and everyone in-between. In the circa 1920 building with pressed tin ceilings and exposed architecture, Bluegrass also serves as a gallery for local artists. In the Tap room there's live original acoustic music most nights, with finely crafted cocktails, a curated wine list & a bounty of beers. Close to West Virginia's beautiful capitol grounds the family-owned and operated Bluegrass Kitchen has been featured in The New York Times and Wall Street Journal as well as Bon Appetit, Garden & Gun, Taste of the South magazines and many more.
Sunset Beach, North Carolina
“Great vegetarian options”
Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

Driving through the area, found the Bluegrass Kitchen on Yelp looking for vegetarian places. The wife had the portobello sandwich - the best she ever had, and she's had a lot. I had the veggie gyro - good but not great. Service was good. Highly recommended.

Rockport, Massachusetts
“Unexpected find in Charleston”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Our hotel recommended the Bluegrass Kitchen. It had an artsy feel to it and looked like locals went there. We sat at the bar as it looked more inviting than the restaurant which was a big open space. The food was good with a southern country flair. We had excellent wine. The other people at the bar were friendly and so was the bartender. If I ever get back to Charleston I would definitely stop here again.

• Visited June 2013
Charleston, West Virginia
“The beer selection is great but dinner is a NO.”
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

Went to bluegrass kitchen on a Thursday night. The beer selection was great on tap. We had 2 beers and decided to eat dinner which was our first mistake. The special was supposed to be a spicy Thai chili beef over noodle dish. It was disgusting and tasted like dirty water. No chili sauce on the dish so we asked for a side of the sauce and it was the consistency of water and had no spicy Thai taste whatsoever. I couldn't eat mine at all! Our server took the ENTIRE dish off the table and didnt even ask me any questions, even though it was obvious I didn't eat any of it. I would not recommend this place for dinner. I've had the chicken burrito for lunch which was actually good. However this is the 3rd time I've tried dinner and I have to give it a thumbs down. I would go back for beers but no dinner next time. Service was ok but go early because they want you out at 9pm!!

• Visited October 2013
Winfield, West Virginia
“Good Lunch”
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

The "greeter" was rather rude but our waiter more than made up for it. Lunch was very good. My friend had the pimento cheese sandwich & I had the taco salad. Portions were very good too.

Massachusetts
“Artsy Decor and Average Food in a Sketchy Neighborhood”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Based on the generally good reviews, we decided to try this restaurant, while visiting Charleston for the Blake Shelton concert at the Civic Center. They have the right idea, but don't have the touches necessary for a good dining experience. First, the most important thing would be the food. I had a French Dip, which was more like leather with hard bread, and a cup of salty beef bouillon to make it warm and moist. I don't think the beef was cooked to order, but most likely brought out of a refrigerator and heated. My wife had a chicken dish which she said was average. If the food isn't so good, maybe a place can claim good atmosphere. This restaurant is in a sketchy neighborhood, and a panhandler came up to me while I stood outside for a minute after parking the car, and asked me for money for a bus. The interior is artsy, with lots of paintings and the grungy look may be intentional. However, the sticky floor, and dirty tables make me wonder how intentional the grunge is. I can't recommend this restaurant to anyone.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank David W

Been to Bluegrass Kitchen? Share your experiences!