“Pleasant Surprise”
Review of Bluegrass Kitchen

Bluegrass Kitchen
Ranked #10 of 276 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Charleston's authentic farm-to-table made-from-scratch modern comfort food restaurant. With a legion of chefs who caringly practice the art of food, BgK offers delicious brunch, dinner, and desserts for hungry vegetarians, meat connoisseurs, and everyone in-between. In the circa 1920 building with pressed tin ceilings and exposed architecture, Bluegrass also serves as a gallery for local artists. In the Tap room there's live original acoustic music most nights, with finely crafted cocktails, a curated wine list & a bounty of beers. Close to West Virginia's beautiful capitol grounds the family-owned and operated Bluegrass Kitchen has been featured in The New York Times and Wall Street Journal as well as Bon Appetit, Garden & Gun, Taste of the South magazines and many more.
Sierra Vista, Arizona
“Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Delicious, healthy local food in a funky setting. We arrived around 7:30 pm on a Monday night. Because there were no available tables, we sat at the bar, which has a very good selection of local beers and a friendly bartender. I couldn't have been more pleased with my entree of trout fillet, sautéed kale and grits. I am not a big fan of grits, but these were delicious. They have a very good and interesting dessert selection. We shared an unusual but tasty blueberry custard pie. We stopped here on our way across country and are sure glad we did. We had a taste of local food, local beer and local folks and enjoyed all.

Visited June 2013

Charleston, West Virginia
“Funky chicken.”
Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

I have visited Bluegrass twice, once for brunch and once for an early dinner. The brunch meal was delicious, I ordered a vegetarian quiche and my husband ordered ramp sausage (a ramp is a type of wild plant that is in the onion family found in WV in spring). Our service was great, the coffee was good. The second visit was somewhat different. We both ordered roast chicken burritos which were decent, the creme fraiche was the best part, but it wasn't out of this world great. The meals are somewhat expensive. Also the atmosphere is upbeat, young and funky. The day we were in, though, they were playing some sort of instrumental middle eastern pop. It was too loud and sort of obnoxious. I will be back, most certainly, but only when I'm in that kind of mood.

Charleston, West Virginia
“Someone elsw bought my food and it was still bad”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

The food may be great for the granola group but not for the rest of the normal world. the menu has cheap easy to make with high margins (that means expensive) food. if yhou don't have that liberal look your probably are not welcome. Yes you will still go away hungry.

Visited May 2013
Rockford, Illinois
“Big city style”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We were visiting from the Chicago area and wanted to find somewhere other than a chain restaurant. We were very delighted with our meal here. The menu is different and eclectic with a little something for everyone. One disappointment was the lack of any ability to provide something for a child, but we can adapt and did. The prices (for us) were excellent. The beer cheese appetizer was delish as was the homemade strawberry salad dressing. Portions are huge, two of us could have split a burrito and been fine. NIce beer menu and wine menu. They were out of numerous wines when we were there which was a bit frustrating but our waitress did a great job of helping us find something to drink. If you are looking for something a little more edgy and not so "southern" this would be your spot.

Newburyport, Massachusetts
“Fresh, flavorful and funky!”
Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

I was in Charleston WV on business and ate at Bluegrass Kitchen. It's a funky, fun atmosphere, very casual, nice artwork and some live music. The menu not only has entrees but sandwiches and burgers as well. After seeing I could get a burger with pimento cheese, I was in. Best burger I've had in a long time, and the side salad was fresh and tasty. My server Alex suggested the buttermilk blueberry pie - it was truly amazing. GO!

• Visited May 2013

Been to Bluegrass Kitchen? Share your experiences!