“high price for average fair” 2 of 5 bubbles

Bluegrass Kitchen
Ranked #10 of 274 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Charleston's authentic farm-to-table made-from-scratch modern comfort food restaurant. With a legion of chefs who caringly practice the art of food, BgK offers delicious brunch, dinner, and desserts for hungry vegetarians, meat connoisseurs, and everyone in-between. In the circa 1920 building with pressed tin ceilings and exposed architecture, Bluegrass also serves as a gallery for local artists. In the Tap room there's live original acoustic music most nights, with finely crafted cocktails, a curated wine list & a bounty of beers. Close to West Virginia's beautiful capitol grounds the family-owned and operated Bluegrass Kitchen has been featured in The New York Times and Wall Street Journal as well as Bon Appetit, Garden & Gun, Taste of the South magazines and many more.
northeast
“high price for average fair”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

Disappointed with the pork chop dinner and french dip for the price. Pork chop was not well seasoned, although the plate presented artfully. asparagus was good. French dip came with no side of any kind, no fries, chips or even a pickle. Beef was tough and kind of dry. Could have had a meal twice as enjoyable for the price at several other local establishments. Despite owners being there, they gave no discernable attention to diners.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank pathwellworn

Elgin, Illinois
“Interesting but limited menu, somewhat quirky service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

This place sounded interesting from reviews and the website, so we thought we would give it a shot. The neighborhood around the restaurant was kind of creepy, to tell the truth. We were nervous about parking our vehicle on the side street. The restaurant itself is kind of funky decor...shabby chic stuff with art for sale on the walls...you walk through a bar and band area to get to the dining room. We were greeted warmly and seated immediately. (Note: We were told on the phone that they don't accept reservations when people call after 5 PM the same day. Strange rule, I think, especially since by 8 PM when we arrived the place was virtually empty on a Saturday night.) The server was very friendly and personable. The menu is eclectic, and very limited. The dishes proposed were interesting, but with an odd array of prices and menu items...think braised rabbit with truffle oil or something like that, and a hamburger next to it on the menu. Some things were surprisingly cheap, while others were surprisingly expensive. We had drinks to begin, which had big city prices. My friend ordered Absolut Citron, which they did not have, so the server suggested a local organic lemon vodka...when his drink came, it tasted like syrup. When we asked if the bartender had added bar syrup to the drink, we were told that it was just the way that vodka tastes. We then ordered the beer and cheese fondue, which was tasty, if a bit skimpy in size. To my dismay, the entrees were brought out almost immediately after the fondue was served...one of my pet peeves. I had the French Dip sandwich, which was $14. It was tasty enough, though the beef was clearly the packaged sliced Italian beef that every diner has. Cracked peppercorn goat cheese and smoked gouda were good, but it was still a French dip. AND, it didn't come with a side! French fries would have been $6 extra! When I asked about this, the server told me that the sandwich was so big that no one would want a side with it. She disappeared at odd times, didn't check in on us while we were eating, and seemed more interested in chatting with regulars. We also had dessert, which was disappointing. I went with the buttermilk and blueberry pie, which I was told was like chess pie. It was so sweet and sugary that literally I almost couldn't eat it. The crust was great, blueberries were great, filling was like pouring thickened corn syrup down your throat. The wine list was good, and reasonable. All in all, I think if you were a local regular and knew what to try on the menu, you could have a good dining experience here. Our experience was not bad, but was not nearly what we had anticipated....

Visited October 2012
West Virginia
“good food terrible bathrooms”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

My husband and I have gone to Bluegrass Kitchen several times. The staff are nice and the food is good. Not a large menu of food to choose from, but we have always enjoyed it. That is until we both used the restrooms. I think a restroom tells alot about a restaurant. If the restrooms are dirty and disgusting what does the kitchen look like. We were very disappointed. I have seen better looking restrooms at gas stations.

Shawnee, Oklahoma
“Disappointed and totally unimpressed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

We try to eat in local restaurants as we travel--no chains. This was recommended by the hotel and was rated fairly high in TripAdvisor so we thought we'd give it a try. We were disappointed and totally unimpressed.

I had what was a vegetarian pizza with thin crust. It had sliced tomato, onion, and cheese baked on it with fresh lettuce drizzled with a balsamic vinegar on top.The center of the pizza was soggy. The outside edges of the crust were good. It was generally good but overpriced.

My husband had a spinach salad (spinach, bacon, egg, goat cheese) with a warm tomato-based dressing. It was very good. He also had the "Bloody Heart" chicken pot pie. The inside was pink from beets. There were beets, potatoes, carrots, celery and a very small amount of chicken. The crust was thin and definitely undercooked! It was $10 and he said he could get a better chicken pot pie in the frozen food section of the grocery store.

We ordered a slice of key lime pie to go. What another disappointment. It tasted like something from a grocery store frozen counter as well.

Our total bill was $34 before tip and we had water.

I expected to hear a totally different kind of music based on the name of the restaurant. I'm not sure what they were playing but it was inconsistent with the name and seemed to be a weird mix of music and very LOUD.

Marietta, Ohio
“A return trip and the restaurant has been spruced up - still great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

Pleasantly surprised by a recent return trip to Bluegrass Kitchen. I always thought the food was good but the decor a little depressing. Went back several weeks ago and found the place looking warmer with art on the walls and I think new paint. Server was excellent - very friendly and helpful and food (eggs benedict for me and pear pancake - superb - for my friend) was great

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Been to Bluegrass Kitchen? Share your experiences!