“Noisy but a good quick stop.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City

Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City
Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Noisy but a good quick stop.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2009

This Red Roof has been remodel and upgraded lately. The rooms are nice and modern looking. The beds are nice and comfortable. Red Roof is pretty basic fare and you get what you pay for. There are lots of fast-food and restaurants around but the access roads and parking lots are kind of confusing.

The big downside is the location of hotel. Some of the rooms are level with I-77. you can hear the big trucks, but not the cars.

The local area is very truckstop. But you cant beat the location for a cheap stop in Charleston.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
southington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2008

This hotel is a great value and has recently been remodeled. Beds are big and comfortable. Rooms are clean. Mini fridge and microwave. Wireless internet was included in the business king room i had,but its a pain the butt to have to get a wireless card from the front desk every 24 hours.There are no frills here.Not even a coffee maker in room. A guest laundry would be great considering how many working men stay here.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2008

You definitely get what you pay for. Having said that, one can expect a hotel with the basic amenities. Nothing fancy. Book online to get their "Red Hot Deals" with rooms costing between $45-$50 a night, which are some of the cheapest in the area. I visit family in the Charleston area 2 - 3 times a year and always stay here for the low rates. It's a fairly decent place to stay. Seeing that I am only there to sleep. I spend most of my time with family. All the rooms have been renovated within the past 2 years, which makes it a much nicer place to stay since I first stayed there back in 2005. The only real negative that I find is with the daily cleaning of your room. To be fair, and nice about it. "their housekeeping sucks!!" In a nutshell, this is what they do; give you fresh towels, and soap, make your bed (without changing your sheets), empty the trash, and pick up whatever large pieces of trash are on the floor. I had to call housekeeping to VACUUM my room as there was pet & human hair everywhere. And that was shortly after I checked in. On my second day there, I had to call and have them wipe down the area around the basins, vacuum, and mop the bathroom floor. My last full day there, I put the "Do Not Disturb" sign on my door; I got up late and left the hotel at 1pm, at which I turned the sign to read "Clean Room". I arrived back at 7pm to find my room untouched. No one in housekeeping checked back to see if I changed the sign. Since when does do not disturb means do not clean, and don't bother checking back?

Basically it's a decent inexpensive place to stay. You definitely have to stay on top of housekeeping.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — No free wi-fi, you must pay for it. All the surrounding hotel offer free wi-fi for their guests
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
travelalot
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2008

Here's the downlow: the rooms have been redecorated but they are not clean. We had to complain because of an issue with the bed being dirty and they did give us clean sheets, but it was still icky sleeping there. The staff was friendly, but this motel is right off the highway and there were quite a few shady characters hanging out. If you are not picky in the least than this motel might work for you, but don't say you were not warned.

Stayed June 2008
Elmhurst, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2007

I stayed here one night. My special internet rate of about $42.00 plus postive reviews on TripAdvisor sold me. I mostly have positive stays at a Red Roof, but this one could use some improvement. The front desk, while friendly could use some more information on the immediate area. I asked if there were any 24 hour restaurants and she did not know. I actually found the IHOP across the street open 24 hours. The room could been cleaner. It seems the carpet needed a vaccuming, plus the carpet was stained and/or faded. The linens were clean, but I could see some stain that didn't come out on the comforter.
The bed was comfortable and everything worked well. For the price, I was not complaining.

• Liked — Comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Dirty carpets, stained comforter
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
Ridgeway, Va.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2007

Upon arriving at room in the Red Roof Inn in Kanawha City, WV, we noticed that one bed was turned down, but not the other. Considering this only an oversight, further inspection revealed that both beds were poorly made up. Again, willing to overlooked this possible mistake, we later noticed a pair of dirty panties and a t-shirt laying behind the bathroom door. This provided us with enough evidence to conclude that the cleaning staff did a poor job and we immediately left the room.

We notified the front desk, and, to her credit, she offered to clean it for us herself. However, we weren't willing to wait for this to be done since the time was 10:00 p.m, so we went on our way. Overall the motel was a bit rundown and definately subpar, even for the rate we were paying. We eventually found a room at a Days Inn about 45 miles away that was much nicer, much bigger, and less expensive. If you can, I suggest you bypass this Red Roof Inn and stay at the Days Inn in Huntington, WV.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank tnelson_2000
Shelbyville, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2007

I highly recommend the Red Roof Inn in Kanawha City.

Getting in to the hotel parking lot is somewhat of a pain, but it's all gravy after that. The staff was very friendly, our room was immaculate, and best of all, it only cost me $57 with tax!

The hotel has recently been remodeled, and everything looks brand new. Our room was clean and comfortable. The AC wasn't the greatest, but it looked like it was the original one from when the hotel was first built. Everything else, from the comforters to the television set all looked like it just came from the store. The beds were comfy, and I had no problems sleeping. The front desk staff were very nice and very helpful.

The hotel is about 10 feet from a Wendy's restaurant, so if you're hungry, you can easily grab a bite to eat there. There are also plenty of restaurants and gas stations within a short driving distance.

There are no amenities at this hotel (pool, etc.) so if you're looking for a weight room or a hot tub, you'll have to pick another hotel. However, if you want a clean, comfortable, cheap stay, this is definitely the place for you!

• Liked — Very clean
  • Disliked — AC did not work very well
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends