“You Get What You Pay For”

Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City, WV
Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed September 17, 2008

You definitely get what you pay for. Having said that, one can expect a hotel with the basic amenities. Nothing fancy. Book online to get their "Red Hot Deals" with rooms costing between $45-$50 a night, which are some of the cheapest in the area. I visit family in the Charleston area 2 - 3 times a year and always stay here for the low rates. It's a fairly decent place to stay. Seeing that I am only there to sleep. I spend most of my time with family. All the rooms have been renovated within the past 2 years, which makes it a much nicer place to stay since I first stayed there back in 2005. The only real negative that I find is with the daily cleaning of your room. To be fair, and nice about it. "their housekeeping sucks!!" In a nutshell, this is what they do; give you fresh towels, and soap, make your bed (without changing your sheets), empty the trash, and pick up whatever large pieces of trash are on the floor. I had to call housekeeping to VACUUM my room as there was pet & human hair everywhere. And that was shortly after I checked in. On my second day there, I had to call and have them wipe down the area around the basins, vacuum, and mop the bathroom floor. My last full day there, I put the "Do Not Disturb" sign on my door; I got up late and left the hotel at 1pm, at which I turned the sign to read "Clean Room". I arrived back at 7pm to find my room untouched. No one in housekeeping checked back to see if I changed the sign. Since when does do not disturb means do not clean, and don't bother checking back?

Basically it's a decent inexpensive place to stay. You definitely have to stay on top of housekeeping.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed July 13, 2008

Here's the downlow: the rooms have been redecorated but they are not clean. We had to complain because of an issue with the bed being dirty and they did give us clean sheets, but it was still icky sleeping there. The staff was friendly, but this motel is right off the highway and there were quite a few shady characters hanging out. If you are not picky in the least than this motel might work for you, but don't say you were not warned.

Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed December 28, 2007

I stayed here one night. My special internet rate of about $42.00 plus postive reviews on TripAdvisor sold me. I mostly have positive stays at a Red Roof, but this one could use some improvement. The front desk, while friendly could use some more information on the immediate area. I asked if there were any 24 hour restaurants and she did not know. I actually found the IHOP across the street open 24 hours. The room could been cleaner. It seems the carpet needed a vaccuming, plus the carpet was stained and/or faded. The linens were clean, but I could see some stain that didn't come out on the comforter.
The bed was comfortable and everything worked well. For the price, I was not complaining.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed September 4, 2007

Upon arriving at room in the Red Roof Inn in Kanawha City, WV, we noticed that one bed was turned down, but not the other. Considering this only an oversight, further inspection revealed that both beds were poorly made up. Again, willing to overlooked this possible mistake, we later noticed a pair of dirty panties and a t-shirt laying behind the bathroom door. This provided us with enough evidence to conclude that the cleaning staff did a poor job and we immediately left the room.

We notified the front desk, and, to her credit, she offered to clean it for us herself. However, we weren't willing to wait for this to be done since the time was 10:00 p.m, so we went on our way. Overall the motel was a bit rundown and definately subpar, even for the rate we were paying. We eventually found a room at a Days Inn about 45 miles away that was much nicer, much bigger, and less expensive. If you can, I suggest you bypass this Red Roof Inn and stay at the Days Inn in Huntington, WV.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank tnelson_2000
Reviewed July 10, 2007

I highly recommend the Red Roof Inn in Kanawha City.

Getting in to the hotel parking lot is somewhat of a pain, but it's all gravy after that. The staff was very friendly, our room was immaculate, and best of all, it only cost me $57 with tax!

The hotel has recently been remodeled, and everything looks brand new. Our room was clean and comfortable. The AC wasn't the greatest, but it looked like it was the original one from when the hotel was first built. Everything else, from the comforters to the television set all looked like it just came from the store. The beds were comfy, and I had no problems sleeping. The front desk staff were very nice and very helpful.

The hotel is about 10 feet from a Wendy's restaurant, so if you're hungry, you can easily grab a bite to eat there. There are also plenty of restaurants and gas stations within a short driving distance.

There are no amenities at this hotel (pool, etc.) so if you're looking for a weight room or a hot tub, you'll have to pick another hotel. However, if you want a clean, comfortable, cheap stay, this is definitely the place for you!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 4, 2007

Solid economy lodging near food and gas options. For a traveler on the road looking for a bed and clean room, you can't go wrong with this Red Roof.

The room was clean with comfortable bed. Standard Red Roof decor. The
furniture was well-maintained and bathroom was spotless.

The hotel itself was a little tricky to find with an awkward entrance
off of a entry off of the main road (might want to get good directions from the highway exit to the property).

There are other hotels and services in the immediate area - pretty much your standard exit ramp traveler situation.

The staff were helpful and polite. Plenty of parking. Area was safe enough for me (female traveling alone).

Internet available, but not free. If you want wi-fi, there's a Hooter's down the street with free wi-fi and great wings.

I would recommend this Red Roof to anyone passing through and looking
for a night's rest.

Note: I've stayed at several Red Roof Inns and they aren't all places I'd recommend. Some were pretty bad - this one is really good and a bargain at $40 a night.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed April 3, 2007

Having literally walked in off the street, I was given a "business king" that cost me, including my AAA discount, $46. The room included a nook-style business desk, a comfortable king bed with crisp turned-back sheets, tasteful abstract art on the walls, a halogen desk lamp, unlimited long-distance calls to anywhere in the U.S. (!), and an adjustable executive chair. The only misstep was the absence of a hair dryer.

I've paid three times as much for far less at "name" hotels. What a nice surprise!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled solo